Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Great album!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TheInfection Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 22 2002, 06:34

I don't know why some people has negative opinions about Voyager. It's not the best album that Mike has done, I agree, but it isn't the worst album either. The music here is more relaxing and lighter, like a cool breeze of wind in the spring so to speak (uuh, much too profound...). I don't know about you but I don't always want to listen the "heavier stuff" like Ommadawn, Tubular Bells, Incantations or some of the earlier albums of Tangerine Dream for example. Sometimes I need this much more optimistic stuff to keep my sanity in check. And judging from the pictures in the cover, for a moment Mike went back to his hippie-days - altough I think this time he was a lot happier.

Regards,
TheInfection
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2002, 05:07

It isn't my favourite album, but then I never have liked Celtic music, so I can't really blame it. I do like 'Song of the Sun' though, so maybe I just need to listen to it more. You're right, it isn't the greatest album of all time, but it is still a very peaceful, relaxing album to put on while reading (or doing school work!;).

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2008, 04:21

While I don't usually group this with MO's 'great' works, I do consider it great for providing certain things. Such as undemanding beauty and comfort. I'm sure I've mentioned the domestic accident - over a year ago - involving a sofa, my foot, and their violent juxtaposition. And how I whimperingly turned to Voyager for succor. I suppose my attachment may be slightly colored by that experience. BUT... regardless of associations with blood and pain (and a severed toenail that I kept on my nightstand as a memento), I'm sure I would still find Voyager a lovely album!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Rider in the Blue Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2011, 02:28

Well I've found the CD of Voyager I'd forgotten I had, and have been playing it whilst decorating my kitchen. I can understand it's not to everyone's taste but I'm enjoying it. Quite why I've ignored it for so long is a mystery to me, but I've done the same with my Hergest Ridge LP - I found that caked in dust outside its sleeve between my albums. Voyager is definitely growing in my affections. Perhaps I'm just in the mood for Celtic music at the moment; who knows?

But I still prefer All About Eve's version of 'She Moves Through The Fair'; Julianne's voice holds me rapt as she narrates the story of a lost bride-to-be. Cue images of long nights around campfires...

So that's another Oldfield album for my iPod. Good-oh. :-)

--------------
"Our hope's with you..."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2011, 02:38

I'm very fond of Voyager too - I even guest-starred on the album cover at one point, courtesy of Mr Millennium Amber.  :D

There are whole parts of far north Queensland I associate with this album, and every time I play it it brings them back.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 21 2011, 02:49

Quote (Rider in the Blue @ Jan. 21 2011, 16:28)
But I still prefer All About Eve's version of 'She Moves Through The Fair'; Julianne's voice holds me rapt as she narrates the story of a lost bride-to-be. Cue images of long nights around campfires...

So that's another Oldfield album for my iPod. Good-oh. :-)

I quite like Van Morrison and the Chieftains version of She Moved Through the Fair.
This was all I could find and does the Album version NO JUSTICE  :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFQ4tQWs4Q
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2011, 06:33

Nothing compares to Mike's version - perfect. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORIlNiBjX8E

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2011, 06:13

Your making me remember the purloined cassette I provided that helped some old dude die around 2000. Meant for the Alzhiemer's unit, it was ripped and played non-stop in the dude's room till he finally went to the other side(Moody Blues tie-in). I know he ended peacefully, his med orders included a shit-load of morphine.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2011, 07:44

Quote (Scatterplot @ Jan. 23 2011, 06:13)
included a shit-load of morphine.

Given the well-known side-effects of morphine, that wouldn't be very much...
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2011, 05:27

Personally I love this album......some excellent tracks and superb guitar.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2011, 13:37

can't get enough of the dark island. magnificent playing.

But, the original songs stand out from Mike's own work on this album, alas.
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: May 20 2015, 18:06

I can remember driving out to get Voyager on a hot Saturday afternoon in late August 1996. While I appreciated the Celtic element, it was not what I wanted to really hear at the time. My mother used to play it all the time so I heard it in the background at her house. I recently bought the new LP issue and I was completely taken by it's charm. I will go back to it now more often no doubt. The guitar work on it is great plus all the superb playing by the guest musicians. It's a hidden gem!
Profile PM WEB 
11 replies since April 22 2002, 06:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net