Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Graphics Problems< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 04 2006, 07:54

I don't really go in for computer games much,(most of them are too violent formy liking), apart from having occasionally played motor racing games with my nephew.  Wow that scenery looks like a place I'd love to travel to,I'd like to join in, but my graphics card is old and the colours are wrong  :(   ,looking at the demo version I downloaded gives me a headache   :(   .   Did try and fit a newer graphics card, but my PC still thinks the old one is in there, so I've reverted to fitting the old card again.  I'm no computer expert. Does anyone know how I can get the newer card to work in myPC,please.  I feel I'm missing out on some fantastic worlds.
:/

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 07:56

So the situation is that you unplugged the old card and fitted the new one, so you just have the new, is that right?

Maybe Windows didn't install the correct drivers automatically and neither did you. Have you tried to install any CD that came with the graphic card?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 07:58

Can you tell us exactly what the graphics card is? Then we might be able to find a suitable driver for you to download.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 09:23

I'm currently using my old graphics card.  I've a "Radeon 9200 Atlantis"  card  to replace the old one. There's a code "MX(400) 64MB AGP VA" , Ring any (tubular) bells???  I've just tried fitting this card again, but had problems, so by trial and error I've restored the original graphics card.   Is fitting a new graphics card simple?   Do I just fit the new  card, and run the CD Rom that came with the card.              :/  :O .
Any computer whizz kids out there able to help please? :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 09:42

Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 04 2006, 14:23)
Do I just fit the new  card, and run the CD Rom that came with the card?

If it came with a CD, then the driver will be on that, and so I'm sure the answer will be yes. (I've never actually done that myself - but I have updated my drivers and it was a pretty straightforward process.)

Is that what you did the first time? In what sense did it not work when you tried it?

Are you using Windows XP?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 09:58

Here's something you could try:

Fit the Radeon card, run the CD rom, and follow its instructions.

If you have Windows XP then go to START-> Control panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System
Click the Hardware tab
Select 'Device Manager'
You'll see a list - there should be an entry called something like 'Display adapters'. Double click that and you should see the name of your graphics card,  - "ATI Radeon something or other". Double click that.

You'll now see information about the card, and whether the computer thinks it's working correctly. You also have the option to update the driver (make sure you're online if you try that) or to roll back to the old driver if the update doesn't work.

What I'm not sure about is whether you need to uninstall the driver for your old card before you do any of this. Can someone help, please?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 10:49

Quote (Alan D @ May 04 2006, 14:42)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 04 2006, 14:23)
Do I just fit the new  card, and run the CD Rom that came with the card?

If it came with a CD, then the driver will be on that, and so I'm sure the answer will be yes. (I've never actually done that myself - but I have updated my drivers and it was a pretty straightforward process.)

Is that what you did the first time? In what sense did it not work when you tried it?

Are you using Windows XP?

I'm running Windows 2000.  Once I'd fitted the Radeon card and restarted the computer I had an error message.  I started to run the CD Rom  that came with the Radeon card,   panicked incase I  did something wrong, and messed up my computer  :O.   That's a point would I need to uninstall   the old graphics card and driver before I install the Radeon? ;) .   It's something I could do for myself if it's not to difficult, providing I've a list of clear instructions.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 11:41

@Galadriel, I'm so glad that you're getting a bit closer to entering the wonderful world of Tr3s Lunas :) It was quite a time until I finaly managed to get things going ( with the help of various members). Don't give up! I think you'll really enjoy the full game. I've yet to go online & play,as my son has needed to use the pc quite a lot for G.C.S.E exam study.But it's easing off a bit now(thank goodness for him) so just let me know when you're up & running,then I'll join you/others online. See you there sometime soon :D
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: May 05 2006, 07:59

Yep, it may be neccessary to uninstall the old driver first, though it's difficult to say from here without seeing it. Also, I can't remember right now where's everything in Windows 2000, so if somebody have it, please, write the correct instructions.

So let's try this: first download ATI's drivers from here. In the lower part of the page is a table. Choose your connection type (high/low speed) and clic the drivers to download (it's "Catalyst Control Center Package" for high speed, or "Display Driver Only" for low speed).

Now go where Alan's said, (Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->System-->"Hardware" tab-->"Device Manager" button-->Display Adapters-->name of card-->"Driver" tab). There you can find a button to uninstall the driver. Press it and follow the instructions, if any.

And finally, install the driver's file you just downloaded. Follow the instructions, and try.
Profile PM 
8 replies since May 04 2006, 07:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net