Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: got it, love it!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sonilink Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 13:08

Just to say that it's a great collection, It's nice to have decent compilation, nothing good came since element!
plus It has a very good new inside about Mike's future music!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
MrKeith Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 06:27

I have seen the Cd in the shops and, to be honest, I am not impressed. Most of the last two cds include loads of songs which, on Mike's later Virgin albums, were never that great.

Excerpts of longer albums like Tubular Bells, Ommadawn and Incantations are very unsatisfying.

For those "in the know", I wouldn't recommend getting this album. Rather like the Best of Tubular Bells, it looks like another excuse for a rip off!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 11:20

Got it too, check my comments on the other topic :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2006, 18:34

advert on C4 now and then.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 11:36

I now have my copy of the Platinum Collection and quite simply it is perfect. For me it is like having a little box of sunbeams in my kitchen. It is lovely to own.

I know there were rumblings of discontent about choice of tracks to include and yes, ofcourse other things could have been included, but really... really it is good. It makes a very clear statement on Mike's career so far, it is packed with really good examples of each of the albums. Great to hear the extended versions too. The energy!!!! It should do very well. I feel with all the positive promotion going on, this could be a brilliant year for Mike.

And, incidetally, whilst shopping in Waitrose last night, I noticed on their CD stand no Platinum Collection, but Tubular Bells the 73 version...£5.99, ( how can something that is actually 'priceless' in value be £5.99??!! and next to boring things like washing powder!! ) I think this shows that interest is growing, so hold on to your hats! :)

bee

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 12:30

Quote (bee @ Mar. 18 2006, 16:36)
how can something that is actually 'priceless' in value be £5.99??!!

That thought often occurs to me too. Although I'm as likely as the next person to grumble about the overpricing of CDs, in many cases the thing we're buying is beyond price. A hundred years ago the richness of choice of music that's easily available to us would have seemed like a fantasy.

Imagine you're marooned on a desert island (with a CD player but no CDs - plus a suitable electrical power supply of course). How much would you be willing to pay for a CD of Tubular Bells? Or the Platinum Collection? Now there's a thought that would shift priorities around.
Profile PM 
MrKeith Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2006, 07:23

I'm going to eat my words.

I did buy the Platimum album and grudgingly I have to change my opinion.

I like it. The 12 inch versions of songs are much better than the originals, making there enough "new" stuff to make this a very worthwhile collection.

It is also a "sizeable" collection in that it took me all of Saturday afternoon to listen to it, so it was £15.99 well spent.

I will say one thing though- the cover let's it down a bit. The Tubular Bells motif has been done much better and has been rather over-used on Mike's covers.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2006, 12:39

Mine has just arrived from Amazon.co.uk,and it's good for when I don't wanna be with all the CDs while travelling or even on my car.Nice compilation,I'd say.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 13:07

At the very most TB should be about 5.99 but then again at the very most all CD's should be about 5.99. If they were maybe people wouldn't be so fast to nick them off the net. Anyway thats a different story.

Saw the Platinum collection in the shops today and probably will end up buying it at some point. For me the only thing its got going for it is the price, the record company have done well there, people outside the fan base may actually buy it which is more than what could be said of the Elements box set.

Like Elements though I don't know why Virgin couldn't have put a bit of thought into the running order of the tracks like they did with the Complete MO, that was a superb collection
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 06:22

finally i got it too.
Millennium bell version surprise me, (i haven't heard this version before and that was cool)
It was also loving to hear To France extended in good quality!
One thing i wonder about... Why do they have Evacuation on the cd?? Not his best moments i know...  :/

But a cool collection!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 06:25

Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 22 2006, 08:22)
Why do they have Evacuation on the cd?? Not his best moments i know...  :/

Evacuation is the best track from The Killing Fields soundtrack to me  :cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 06:41

hihi sorry..  ;)
I just miss some light and shade songs he he

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 13:17

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 22 2006, 12:25)
Evacuation is the best track from The Killing Fields soundtrack to me  :cool:

For me too!  :D

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 18:50

For those of you who don't press the player's 'Stop' button as soon as a CD's last track ends: there are two short hidden tracks at the end of Disc 2, right after Evacuation. The first is a folkish accordion-based tune, the second is a slow piece, very short (less than one minute long) but typically Oldfieldian in its layering of guitars. Now what I'd like to know is: WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE??? :D :D On TKF, Evacuation is followed by Pran's Theme 2, but of course none of these two short tracks is Pran's Theme 2, and they don't even sound like they're from TKF or any other release of that era. Does anybody have any idea on what are these?

Edit: if you haven't a clue on what I'm talking about, have a listen for yourself by downloading this. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
MrKeith Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 08:30

If memory serves me correctly from the original singles, the two tracks are in fact one. They/it is called "Legend".

It may have been the B-side to Pictures in the Dark, but I am happy to be corrected.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 10:41

@ Keith: You are perfectly right about everything. It's one track, it's really "Legend" and it is the B-side to PITD, both 7'' and 12''. The funniest fact is that, although I don't have none of the PITD singles, I've got "Legend" - it's on the fourth CD of the Elements box. How silly I am - I cannot even properly remember the content of the Oldfield CDs I currently own. :D Does that mean that I'm not as devoted a M.O. fan as I was when I first joined here, i.e. almost six years ago? :)  However, thanks for your help. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 11:06

Got it, love it :)
same for me!
And the cover looks way better than I expected :)
nice pictures inside.
The only song I really miss on it is M.O's Single... but that I can forgive them ;)
And boy is that Innocent mix dated  :laugh:
'back to the 80's with Mike'  :p

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 11:28

I only miss "In the pool" but anyway, It's great :)

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 08:22

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 23 2006, 00:50)
For those of you who don't press the player's 'Stop' button as soon as a CD's last track ends: there are two short hidden tracks at the end of Disc 2, right after Evacuation. The first is a folkish accordion-based tune, the second is a slow piece, very short (less than one minute long) but typically Oldfieldian in its layering of guitars. Now what I'd like to know is: WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE??? :D :D

Hey that's cool! I didn't noticed that!! :D

What I think is that they probably ripped the stuff from the Elements remasters box cds because "Legend" begins after "Evacuation" on cd 4 of it. And they put it on this cd. If it was a mistake or just an extra suprise remains unknown though. :)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
MrKeith Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 09:03

@Ugo C,

Pleasure to help.

Just forgetting one track does not make you any less devoted, sir!!! I am surprised I even managed to recall the track. Dragged out of the very deepest recesses of my memory.

I have been a devoted Mike fan since the release of Incantations, in 1978 but only joined the forum a few days ago.
Profile PM 
28 replies since Mar. 13 2006, 13:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net