Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: got it, love it!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 09 2007, 18:30

i totally love the platinum collection album, it is the best compilation cd by mike oldfield.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 09 2007, 21:22

it is indeed very good.
The reason why is all the singel versions we just had in vinyl before. (also the extended versions rocks)
It is a great cd to play when you have friends over dinner)
The cover art is cool (but maybe to alike TB3) But i like the cd-box.
The sound is great and the collection is ok. But i miss of course alot of great songs.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
imhotep Offline

Posted: April 13 2007, 15:25

I got it in the mail today.

Songs I enjoyed especially were:
ommadawn
in dulci jubilo
portsmouth
william tell overture
incantations - part 4 excerpt
guilty
arrival
sheba
five miles out
in high places
crime of passion
to france (extented version)

CD3 is completely rubbish in my opinion.

I liked getting those non-album tracks from the 70's and 80's though.
Profile PM 
Dormouse Offline

Posted: July 22 2007, 15:20

I think CD3 is by far the best, personally. There are a few dodgy ones on there - but none as dodgy as "Don Alfonso" on CD1 or "Etude" or "Evacuation" on CD2 (not a fan of The Killing Fields...)

Blatantly obvious that Virgin are trying to save licensing money and hide the very credible latter (post-Virgin) part of Mike's career by only including 6 "Warner" songs - one of which is an awful radio edit of Millennium Bell - and none of the various outstanding parts from TB2 or TB3 (except Sentinel and FATC which are included).
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2008, 15:32

A dozen tracks that have never seen the light of day on a CD?  Not a bad peace offering from Virgin, considering what vindictive jerks they've been to MO so far (except Don Alfonso in mono?-thanks a lot!;).
    I like having all the single edits and remixes available.  To have all those pieces unobtainable gives a fan's collection all the charm of a smile with missing teeth.
    As for licensing WEA material, Virgin wasn't obligated to do that at all.  However, Virgin could have used the space to give us more rare stuff (they know we want it!;).
    Don't misunderstand me, though-I think Virgin are greedy bastards that treated MO abominably.  I look forward to the day that MO is able to buy his masters back and hire some real fans to oversee a reissue program worthy of the music!
    Rhino, are you listening?

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2008, 09:31

It's a cool compilation (CD's 1 & 2 anyway,not such a fan of the late 80's EM era-purely subjective).A couple of tracks are conspicuous by there absence though.For example the first single (MO's Single b/w Froggy Went A Courting) and Pipe Tune.Also Rite Of Man would have been nice as well.Oh well.Perfection seems so hard when Virgin are involved ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
J1Star Offline

Posted: April 02 2012, 13:04

I'm just waiting for the download to finish and then I'm going to rush straight to that 'To France' extended version. Wetting my pants in excitement.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2013, 14:17

I Quite Rate this Collection Specially Side 3 with a few of the Other 12" Tracks  Tacked on to it.. It Makes a Good listen  ..I play this one the most.

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
iPlatinumBells427 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 04 2015, 14:22

:)
Profile PM 
28 replies since Mar. 13 2006, 13:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net