Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Google News Archive updated, Tons of Oldfield press clippings< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 21 2014, 03:16

Google News have updated their news archive with scans of a terrifying amount of old newspapers (and surely more to come).

http://news.google.com/newspapers

While this has a number of practical purposes for everyone, as Mike Oldfield fans it brings us the opportunity to find articles, reviews and interviews we may never have seen before, like this astonishing Hergest Ridge review in the Beaver County Times:

http://news.google.com/newspap....,416417

Have fun!

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2014, 04:27

Best review ever.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2014, 17:10

Thanks for the tip.

Ah the good old days. When folks celebrated a new album by ingesting 250 micrograms of acid.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 01:49

The sad thing is that, despite it being surreally random, that review seems to have more to do with the album than a lot of the current trendy "I'm going to spend 5 paragraphs revealing how I'm much more clever than the people who made this album, and one sentence telling you what the music is actually like" type of reviews...

If that was my album being reviewed there, I'd be tempted to hang the review on the wall as an inspiration to future albums...in fact, I'm tempted to do that anyway ;)
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 12:10

Wow--the Google digitization project gets real! Thank you for the link, CJJC. That review is part trip, part meditation--haven't ever read one like it (yet anyway--who knows what is out there to be discovered! ).  It was also surreal to read that review of Hergest Ridge in one column and to look at the Billboard Top 10 in the other! The concert listing--Genesis, Zappa, Bowie--wow.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2014, 15:36

And look who was on tour (the article just below the HR review) - it's only Barry Palmer's old band Triumvirat!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 21 2014, 03:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net