Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Good\Bad guitarist< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 337 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 17:17

One of the things that annaoys me most is why on earth Mike Oldfield is not given the credit he is due as a guitarist...
He is easily my favourite player - you could play me million note a minute santriani stuff all day long and I would still consider Mike the More inspiring and interesting guitarist.
The guitar establishment seems to have dismissed him totally, never have I read his name in any guitar related magazine or book.
I don't think this is fair.
Ok - his playing is a bit rough around the edges and Ok - he does'nt play much Blues, (which in my opinion is a good thing).
My guitar teacher has called him a crap guitarist, and refuses to teach me anything by him.
But I agree with Mike that most rock guitarists are a bit backward.
What does everyone think about this?
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 17:33

Being mean: Your guitar teacher calls Mike 'crap', but he can't tell you how many frets are required for Ommadawn??? Well, he should go and find out, shouln't he? - Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 18:02

I think part of the problem may lay with how the majority of the world classifies Oldfield. He's either considered "new age" or some kind of leftover 70s prog-rock loser. The reason he's not given his due is twofold: first, to most people, Mike is a guitarist in the same way that John Tesh is a pianist or Kenny G is a saxophone player; while those guys CAN play (and I'm NOT a fan of either), because they were alwayds looked upon as a sort of saccharine version of their respective arts, they don't get the respect they deserve. They're considered "lite." Second--and perhaps this is limited to the US--is the fact that unless you say "Theme from the Exorcist," no one knows who you're talking about. I NEVER start newbies out on TB any more. I fire up SODE or Guitars--play "Cochise" for that embittered guitar teacher and see what he has to say. Then, when people recognize the scope Oldfield has, I feel comfortable making the "Exorcist" reference.
It's all a matter of presentation.
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 20:59

Pacha Daddy brought up a good point, when talking about Kenny G and John Tesh: they're only known for it because that's all they do. Mike plays such a variety of instruments, and a lot of his albums cover a wide variety of musical genres, its hard to call him just a guitarist.
While he plays the guitar most excellent and the music that he writes for it is awesome, I personally like his piano playing better. If I was to associate him with just one instrument it most likely would be the Piano, but the guitar would be a very close second.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2001, 01:07

Now I've been thinking, what has Mike done to deserve the "prog-rock loser" label thats been put on him?

Perhaps its the fact that "Tubular Bells" was truly groundbreaking, innovative and original in the seventies. But his other albums of long instrumentals ("Ommadawn", "Hergest Ridge" and "Amarok") were perceived as just more of the same kind of stuff from Oldfield, he wasn't doing anything groundbreaking anymore. The fact that hes recycled "Tubular Bells" a number of times ("The Orchestral Tubular Bells", the "Exposed" version, "Tubular Bells II", "Tubular Bells III") probably hasn't helped much.

Perhaps its his turbulent private life and personal eccentricities that some people don't like about him. Like that stuff in the british tabloids around the time of TB3 about how crazy he was in Ibiza. Is that why all the music press seems to have it in for him? (Never mind that other rockers have done crazier shit than that and everyone thinks its cool, trashing hotel rooms and whatnot).

Perhaps his changing styles and pushing himself with his albums is perceived as him not having a clear musical direction.

Perhaps its just his plummeting sales, with the odd peak being the recycled "TB" albums. Is that why hes perceived as a has been who belongs in the passt?

I don't think Mike deserves this label. Even if he isn't such a great human being I think its his skill as a musician that should count in the music press, not his private life or sales figures.

Does anyone else agree with me on this?

If you don't agree that the music press are generally antipathetic to Mike then read this review of "The Millennium Bell" in Australian Rolling Stone magazine:

Mike Oldfield is a pretentious dumbass and his records are full of shit. The fact of the matter is any dolt with a few hours to spare and the right tools at his command could write this turgid music (why they would want to is another issue...). What is more disturbing is Mike's ugly, limited notion of "world music", and more importantly, world history. The details of Mike's so called research for this nonsense described on the sleeve are comedic. Trash. Avoid.
RATING: 0.5 OUT OF 5

Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2001, 04:18

Since when has anything other than a person's private life or sales mattered in any form of the press, either music or any other type? For a non-musical example, what is the main thing that people most remember from Bill Clinton's term of US Presidency? Do his Presidential skills stick in the memory, or his private life?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2001, 09:13

It's funny when my European brothers talk about how much bad press MO gets, because none of it filters over here. I was really surprised when I learned what a media target he is.

But here's a prime example of why--and how--Mike's ended up with this crappy label. I had some MO on one day, and a co-worker asked what it was. I told her, then said, "Theme from Exorcist?" She still wasn't sure. I took out TB, popped it into the CD player, and let her listen to those first few famous moments. her face lit up.

"Oh!" she said. "I have that on my 'Pure Moods' CD!"

The kiss of death: to be included in a new age compilation CD hocked on television....
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 23 2002, 07:15

It can be undeniable that Mike Oldfield is a good/great guitar player.Anyone who listens to the guitar solo he pulls of on "The Magic Touch"would have to agree that,and it's even more impresive if you watch him play that solo in the video for it.This is just one example of his genius.The thing is about being classed as a great player in my opinion is that you can do various things like(in no order):
play fast
play slow
have a great touch
play with feeling
not stick to the same genre of music
play accousit and electric to the same standard
play with fingers and plectrum
there are other but i don't want to go on....
The point is Mike is more than capable of doing all this and more,not to forget that he has made lots of albums over a long period,and he has learned a lot,and is still not afraid to make the music he wants,and not what the record company or public wants,and he gets away with it.Mike was featured in Total Guitar magazine ealier this year i think,and i think he amazed those guys with his fingerstlye work.Finally,to those who doubt Mike Oldfield as a guitar player,i would just say Watch the D.V.D of the Tubular Bells 2 concert.This not only proves how good a guitar player he is,but how good an all round musician and composer he is.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2002, 05:11

Wow, EVERYONE'S posts have appeared twice!

I still think Mike is definatly one of the greatest guitarists I have ever heard, although I haven't heard many (Steve Howe would probably be the other best one). I would suggest the Art in Heaven DVD, with the guitaring he does with the light show. That's an amazing piece. He has done so many amazing pieces, and I am very surprised that he never gets mentioned as a guitarist.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2002, 05:13

Yes raven4x4x and qjamesfloyd,

I agree completely. Of course Mike is a great guitarist, there is no doubt about that. This is not a question of taste; you can like or dislike his solos and sound, but he has a very pure technique.

Mike plays rather different from other guitarists, doesn't he? Almost like a violin as they are played in typical classical concerts; all those ornaments and that 'narrow' very pure sound. Not typical for a rock guitarist, which probably is one reason for the lack of attention from the music press.

I had a friend who loved Deep Purple very much; he didn't consider Mike as a guitar virtuose, which of course disturbed me quite a lot. One day I played a video clip for him, with Mike playing Ommadawn live (in Eddingburg 1981). His reaction was interesting to see; first he was sceptical, he didn't want to see it, then slowly he realized that this is something worthwhile, and then, after THAT SOLO, he made a statement: 'I agree, Mike is a genius". After having seen his right-hand technique (you know, killing all the strings except the sounding one) and the fluent scaling across the board he finaly realized.

My guess is that most people need to see Mike play before they really can understand the high level of his technique.

But of course, any reasonably musically talent person would realize Mike ability after having heard the solos
   - Taurus III
   - QE2
   - many on EM
   - TSODE
   - Platinum live, the ending.

Don't you think?

TheMan
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2002, 20:37

I like Mike´s guitar playing(he´s my fav one),it´s so different from most guitarists,and he has got a fab trademark sound...it´s something I like a lot,the way he plays the instrument.Other thingie I love is the guitar sounds,very nice and with emotion,it´s amazing....
The fact is,being the Tubular Bells Chappie,the guy who plays a lot of instruments helped him not to get well reconized on his fav instrument,and I do believe that when Mike recorded Guitars,he wanted to show to everybody what he really loves playin´!!
:p

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2002, 05:52

If anyone think Mike is a bad guitarist, I'm gonna $&^%&(#@ out of him!! ;)

What about a duo with Mike and, let's say, Robert Fripp?? (do I spell that name correct? y'know, the king crimson guy, with adrian belew! :D  )

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2002, 06:33

I've never heard of Robert Fripp, but he has done a duet with Adrian Belew (Far Country, if that's even the guy...) That's an amazing piece of guitaring.

If I ever end up having to convince someone that Mike is a good guitarist, I would play them the Berlin 2000 lightshow music, the live Moonlight Shadow from the Berlin 2000 concert, Far Above the Clouds reprise from Horse Guards Parade, Crystal Clear from TSODE and Far Country. They are my all time favourite guitar pieces, and if anyone (even jsamsworth's guitar teacher) can hear those pieces and still think Mikes a bad guitarist well there's nothing I can do for them. I suppose you could play the superfast solos is Amarok and Ommadawn. I especially find the fast waltz solo from Amarok (at 22:30) am amazing piece of fast guitar work.

In regards to the review of Millennium Bell that bennyboy mentioned, if I heard that I would complain! Since when do reviewers insult the composer like that? That kind of review makes me really pissed off, even if it hadn't have been Mike.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2002, 07:02

About these reviewers ... It actually doesn't matter what Mike does, they simply hate HIM!

The reviewers in Sweden are with very few exceptions young 'hip' persons without having any kind of formal musical training. The only requirement to work as a reviewer is that you are a brilliant 'name-dropper' and that you consider anything else than rave/BryanAdams/BruceSpringsteen/ as being pure shit. No,really.

If Bruce Springsteens new higly praised latest album would have been released in Sweden as 'Mike Oldfield - The Rising' they would have considered it as nonsense. Dirt. Because they wouldn't even listen to it.

Why do they actually review Mike? These 'journalists' do not review the latest recordings of, Arvo Pert, the latest recording of, say, Keith Jarrett ... so then why Mike?

A mystery.

TheMan

ps. 'What could be more irritating than Mike's world music'. Well, there are a couple of things coming to my mind...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2002, 06:48

I agree!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Couldren Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2003, 08:58

Dido. Mike is the a wonderful guitarist, and musician in general. I like him mainly for his composing, humor and lyrics though. I especially love his guitar play on the Discovery & Guitars albums. I wouldn't call him the best guitarist I know of, but he is in my top 5, and is definately my favorite artist. I do however agree that the personal life of an artist certainly matters a great deal, to me it even has an impact on the what I think of the music. If what I read is true I'm fortunate not to read much about mikes personal life, for I love his music and has a tough time believing that a man who has such wonderful music in his soul can be a bad person.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 06:37

I think the reason for Mike not bing credited a a great gutarist is due to the fact that his music compositions contain all different types of instruments, in which he plays (almost) the lot.

This is where the credit is due.

In the 70's when Mike started, there was far better guitarists like Brian May of Queen and Steve Hillage, but these guys concentrated on what they were good at, playing guitar.

Although a lot of Mikes guitar rifts are superb, I cant say he's the best guitarist in the world, but as a overall musician utilising all the instruments he can play, he if far superior and talented than most.

You only have to look at the number of records he has sold to tell you that.

Cheers MO fan :D
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 06:43

Quote (MO fan @ Jan. 22 2003, 06:37)
I think the reason for Mike not bing credited a a great gutarist

Spelling, first line should have read...

I think the reason for Mike not being credited as a great guitarist.....
Profile PM 
James Dawson Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2003, 08:23

I agree with MO Fan on this one.

Mike is not considered a great guitarist simply because he's not just a guitarist.

The general lack of appreciation for his music and style mean that he's overlooked when polls and votes are published.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 23 2003, 08:15

I think it may also be because people don't often think about him at all, and when people do think of him, they think of the beginning of Tubular Bells which is piano...

Something that often gets overlooked is his acoustic playing - mostly because the best stuff doesn't feature on his albums (hardly surprising nobody knows about it! ). When he's on top form, he's easily up there with more celebrated guitarists like Bert Jansch.

He gets my respect for the fact that his albums don't show off everything he can do with a guitar, but rather showcase playing that supports the music as a whole.

P.S. If you make an error in a post which you want to correct, the 'edit' button at the top of your post will allow you to do that.
Profile PM 
146 replies since Jan. 08 2001, 17:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net