Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Good\Bad guitarist< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
afronte Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 12 2004, 17:59

I think Mike is definitely one of the greatest electric guitarists ever. Aside from the technical proficiency, he has a unique style that is not linked to a particular genre or a paticular time. In my opinion guitar solos form Ommadawn and Incantations (to cite my favourites) may have been written yesterday and would still sound new and fresh, they are not "seventies". This cannot be said for almost any other guitarist. Take a "seventies" solo form Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Richie Blackmore or even (dare to say) Steve Howe in the seventies and those will still be great but sound definitely "seventies".

Regarding acoustic and classical guitars, well, I think he's good but there are other guitarists that excel in the field.

Alessandro

(((AF)))
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: June 25 2004, 06:31

in all fairness, who really cares. we know he is a great guitarist and a great musician.  just because miss spears repeating the same tune over and over again with different lyrics is what people are listening to today, doesnt mean oldfield is crap. the music scene in my opinion has deteriorated over the years, the charts is slowly filling up with crap by mimeing wannabe's who couldnt sing a tune without all their tech gear to make in-tune.

oldfield can write his own music, produce it himself, play all his instruments, experiment with other styles. these are the characteristics of excellent musicians!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 25 2004, 09:15

I wonder why people keep pointing to Britney Spears, of all charts artists, as an example of boring, repetitive music. Might have been the case in her early stages, but now? Heard that recent "Toxic" thing? It's up to everyone whether or not he or she likes that kind of thing but that tune strikes me as being highly original, carefully written and masterfully executed. Much better than most of Mike's latest stuff if you care to hear my opinion.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 25 2004, 09:25

Quote (Holger @ June 25 2004, 09:15)
I wonder why people keep pointing to Britney Spears, of all charts artists, as an example of boring, repetitive music. Might have been the case in her early stages, but now? Heard that recent "Toxic" thing? It's up to everyone whether or not he or she likes that kind of thing but that tune strikes me as being highly original, carefully written and masterfully executed.

I agree Holger.  I was shocked how much I liked it!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 25 2004, 10:09

Shame that the video didn't match those standards.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 18 2004, 05:16

Can't say I've heard it. I've got so disillusioned with the 'popular' top 50 scene that I now ignore it completely, and I'm happier for it. The most recent popular song I heard was that Ketchup song thingy, and that well and truly scared me off. However, there certainly is good music out there. I'm thinking specifically of Moby, my favourite 90's and 00's artist by a long way, but there are a lot of people and bands doing good things. The problem is it isn't promoted properly, so it never appears on the radio or Video Hits or whatever. I wasn't alive in the 70's, but it would have been great when albums like Dark Side of the Moon and Tubular Bells could become massively popular. It wouldn't happen nowadays, would it.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
xiphfan Offline

Posted: July 18 2004, 06:46

Quote (Holger @ June 25 2004, 09:15)
I wonder why people keep pointing to Britney Spears, of all charts artists, as an example of boring, repetitive music. Might have been the case in her early stages, but now? Heard that recent "Toxic" thing? It's up to everyone whether or not he or she likes that kind of thing but that tune strikes me as being highly original, carefully written and masterfully executed. Much better than most of Mike's latest stuff if you care to hear my opinion.

According to All Muisic Guide, Toxic was written by Dennis / Jonback / Karlsson / Winnberg. This is what I don't like about her. She doesn't write her own music, she doesn't play any instruments, her voice has worsened dramatically. It is so breathy and hoarse... With a bunch of songwriters and musicians, anyone could release albums. Oh my God...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 18 2004, 11:26

Besides, people point at Britney as boring, repetitive MTV fodder because there is better stuff out there at the moment. Anyone that's moderately aware of the current musical scene will point you out several GREAT bands out there. I can mention Radiohead and the Flaming Lips off the top of my head right now, and other people can mention many others. Britney's songs might be original and well-executed, but only because they HAVE to be. The people who are industrialising, packaging and promoting her music are being PAID for it, so if the music is ANY BIT below average, the cronies behind Britney will probably be fired. Say whatever you want, it's INDUSTRIALISED music, and there's MUCH better, genuine stuff out there. We have all the right to criticise Britney, and I doubt we'll be using Tr3s Lunas against it.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 18 2004, 13:04

Quote (xiphfan @ July 18 2004, 06:46)
According to All Muisic Guide, Toxic was written by Dennis / Jonback / Karlsson / Winnberg. This is what I don't like about her. She doesn't write her own music, she doesn't play any instruments, her voice has worsened dramatically. It is so breathy and hoarse... With a bunch of songwriters and musicians, anyone could release albums. Oh my God...

Oh yeah? Even if I had Britney's songwriters and musicians, I don't think I'd have the same amount of success if I performed the same things...
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 19 2004, 06:19

Exactly,a great performer can turn an ok song into a great one,and an ok performer can ruin a great song,so,Britney does what she does best,she is a performer,and performs other peoples songs,and i think she does it well,if she picked up a guitar or sat at a piano,she would get slated for not playing well,so,just let her sing and perform.

By the way,getting back to the thread,Mike STILL remains a great guitar player ;)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 19 2004, 12:15

Maybe she is a good performer, but I'm sure we don't need "performers" like her. Not at all. She's good in doing what she does, but what she does isn't a good thing!

And I'm sure it's not her performance that makes her songs good (if they're any good).

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 19 2004, 15:14

It's only your opinion saying she is'nt doing a good thing,plenty of people think she is,plus there are lots of people who think Mike does'nt do a good thing with the guitar,which both of us know now to be true,there is room for Britney and Mike in this world.
Profile PM 
Mi-D
Unregistered

Posted: July 19 2004, 16:02

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ July 19 2004, 15:14)
there is room for Britney and Mike in this world.

And perhaps some day Mike vill give her a song and perform together with her ;)
xiphfan Offline

Posted: July 19 2004, 18:07

Quote (Holger @ July 18 2004, 13:04)
Quote (xiphfan @ July 18 2004, 06:46)

Oh yeah? Even if I had Britney's songwriters and musicians, I don't think I'd have the same amount of success if I performed the same things...

OK, not only her songwriters and musicians. Also her management and stylists. A lot of promotion, of course. And much self-confidence so that she can expose herself and talk about her sexual life without a blush. And maybe a plastic surgeon ;)

I hope I didn't offend you anyhow, Holger. If your little sister was a dedicated Britney fan as mine is, you would hate her too.

Don't take this too serious: ;)
NOTE: I do know how stupid this post may seem.

Imagine that Mike and Britney would change their roles. Their voice ranges are now similar so I guess Mike would have no problems to perform Britney's songs. I'm not sure what it would sound like, if Britney tried to play Mike's guitar. I know, I know, I know. Even if Mike crept naked with that gold things on his body as Britney does in the Toxic video and claimed he had never slept with a woman, he wouldn't top the BillBoard charts. And he wouldn't be admired by 11-year-old schoolgirls either -> I suppose their mothers wouldn't let them watch music videos with that "old maniac" ;)

What I'm trying to say: Britney could be easily replaced by another sexy blonde. Mike not.

Anyway, QJamesFloyd is right, Mike is a great guitar player!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 20 2004, 04:49

Quote (xiphfan @ July 19 2004, 18:07)
I hope I didn't offend you anyhow, Holger. If your little sister was a dedicated Britney fan as mine is, you would hate her too.

No worries, not offended at all.  :cool:

What I'm trying to say: Britney could be easily replaced by another sexy blonde. Mike not.

I'll avoid the obvious pun... however, I'm not so sure about Britney being replaced really. I think she has reached a status by now where she must almost be regarded the new Madonna or something like that. Well, time will tell. But I don't think Madonna could be easily replaced, and I think Britney has the potential to reach a similar status. Heh, maybe I'm contradicting myself here, but what the heck :p
However, I agree that while it may or may not be easy to replace Britney, it's impossible to replace Mike.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 20 2004, 07:43

I, personally, think we just don't need people like Britney in this world. There is such an industry behind her, such an ugly, disgusting scheme, a cold, mechanised business, that I'm positive we don't need her. It's not art, it's not culture, it's truly not a honest business. There are other female artists out there that are much more beautiful than Britney, not to mention actually talented, of course. Britney is just another shabby teenager like many others. When we have so many other great artists out there, why do we need Britney? Such an useless thing to stir the media with?

Nope, I'm not convinced that there is space for her.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ciss
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 13:32

I hate listening to Britney Spears' music, but a lot of people like her stuff, so why shouldn't they be allowed to listen to it?  The problem, if it is a problem, is that people limit themselves in their music tastes - they simply haven't listened to enough music to even begin to know what they like.  If you don't like somebody's music, don't listen to it.  And think about it - would you really want the media to focus on your favourite artists?  They treat people like shit, so if anything you should be glad people like Britney are in the papers all the time.  I feel sorry for her.  Mass coverage of people like her makes you appreciate where you stand a whole lot more.
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 17:44

Quote (Guest @ Jan. 02 2005, 13:32)
I hate listening to Britney Spears' music, but a lot of people like her stuff, so why shouldn't they be allowed to listen to it?

Because there is a lot of stuff behind it. Britney is not just about the music: there's a whole scheme behind her. She's just a piece of the machine that "educates" our youth these days. You catch the teenagers with Britney, and then you do whatever you want with them. That's how the media works.

And honestly, I'd enjoy it if the media gave exposure to the good music out there. Who says they have to hunt the artists like hungry animals? Just showing the good stuff on TV is more than enough. I found Mike Oldfield and Sigur Rós on my own. Who knows how much more amazing stuff I could have found, earlier in my life, if the media were different?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2005, 04:22

I handle Britney (and the 20,000 Britney clones out there) by ignoring them totally. I don't pay any attention to the charts or the musicians in the media. I don't even listen to the commercial radio stations much. I just ignore all that media and focus on the music I like. I'm happier for it.

However (this is how I'll link this discussion back to the topic), I would dearly love for the guitar to come back into popular music. Most pop is just techno keyboards, rap seems to be entirely drums, there doesn't seem to be any room for guitarists nowadays. Come to think of it, there isn't room for intrumentalists of any sort. In popular songs nowadays, whether pop or rap (the two most popular types round here as far as I know) the songs are just credited to the vocalists. If you asked a group Britney fans who played the drums or keyboards on the album they wouldn't have a clue (OK so they're all probably computer samples but you get my point). American Idol and all those other ones (we have that here in Australia too   :/  ) are all about which new vocalist they're going to write an album for. What happened to the instruments? Artists like Mike with genuine instrumental skill are being ignored.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2005, 07:53

I don't know... I just don't really see what all the fuss is about. I don't think the situation now is worse than it has been ever since the 70s ended. People who make genuine, good music do get attention, it's just a different kind of attention to what the pop stars get. This list is starting to feel like a sort of litany I recite on such occasions but still: Radiohead, Björk, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Air, The Mars Volta, Sigur Rós, Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and several other "genuine" artists have all been enjoying their fair share of success in recent years.
I think the problem often is that people focus too much on the music they learned to like at one point, and when "their" genre stops developing, they feel that music as such has died. Which is not the case, obviously. It just means you need to open your eyes and ears and find something fresh.
Profile PM 
146 replies since Jan. 08 2001, 17:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net