Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Getting irritated with the "remastering" thing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AwayWeGo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 26 2015, 13:32

I hate how the old masters and mixes get totally deleted when a new master comes along (unless they are included in the new edition). I suppose the whole thought process is "All we did was remaster the same mix. Why do you want the old version?" The problem with that is that sometimes when these discs are "remastered," they make them sound worse through various undesirable changes. Some of us want to hear the albums as they were originally released. Obviously, people loved them enough to buy them the way they were before, or else they wouldn't be popular to begin with!

Yes, sometimes remasters do make the music stand out in incredible new ways (like on Hergest Ridge and Tubular Bells for example), but for God's sake, they sure are making it hard on those of us who want the older versions. I have to scan online encyclopedias, click through Amazon page after Amazon page to find something that usually will end up costing me more than thirty dollars because of the new "remasters" pushing it into obscurity.

Even if they don't want to press them anymore, which is totally understandable, at least make them DIGITALLY available. There have been albums that were available digitally in the older formats until the new editions came out, making them disappear.

I shouldn't have to spend all this time and pay all these secondhand sellers all this money when I just want to BUY something from a record company. I mean, bought music is a dying market anyway, so why on EARTH would the industry NOT want my money? I hate to say it, but this has just about brought me to the point of simply thinking along the lines of "Hurry, buy the album while you still can, before Mike remasters it!"

All versions should be included digitally. If the remasters aren't different enough for the older versions to be included, then what the heck are they doing "remastering" it in the first place, if not just for a cash grab?

Rant over.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2015, 05:30

I am also irritated.

I am irritated by people complaining about the remasters.

Discovery Remaster was announced 6 months ago & clearly implied 2 years ago after the last ones.

You can still get the old version & a digital version for around £5 on amazon. These may go when the new one comes out. You have had plent of time to get these.

No doubt you will be one of the ones complaining about the remaster. Having said in advance that you will not like it, then probably will be somehow forced to buy the new one at an inflated price, will not like the mix, will feel short changed by the special features & probably complain about the packaging.
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2015, 04:00

Quote (tarquincat @ Aug. 28 2015, 05:30)
I am also irritated.

I am irritated by people complaining about the remasters.

Discovery Remaster was announced 6 months ago & clearly implied 2 years ago after the last ones.

You can still get the old version & a digital version for around £5 on amazon. These may go when the new one comes out. You have had plent of time to get these.

No doubt you will be one of the ones complaining about the remaster. Having said in advance that you will not like it, then probably will be somehow forced to buy the new one at an inflated price, will not like the mix, will feel short changed by the special features & probably complain about the packaging.

Actually, I'm not complaining about when people procrastinate. I am talking about those of us who weren't around for the original releases or who were out of the loop at the time. With the backlog being deleted it can be virtually impossible to try and hear the original releases.

I don't gripe about packaging or special features. By contrast, I loved the Five Miles Out special features. But let's be honest. We buy the records to hear the main albums.

I clearly said that I like some of the remasters. Either way, though, that's not the point. The point I am making is about availability and pricing.

No, no one forced me to buy anything, but it was annoying when I had no way to listen to the FMO remaster, and bought it expecting it to be as good as the preceeding remasters, only to find it had been squashed to oblivion with regard to dynamics. It's easy to dismiss complaints about audio and editions, but really I consider it almost destroying art to mess up remasters and not make the older ones available. I know some people just want you to spend, smile, and be happy, but I think it's more complex than that.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2015, 04:47

Still not quite getting it.

The Five Miles Out 2000 digital version, which was the only digital version available before the new remaster is still available on Amazon for £5.99
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2015, 07:29

Well I for one am grateful for TB2003, which is my favourite version, but I do think that sometimes the remasters don't really offer anything new.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
4 replies since Aug. 26 2015, 13:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net