Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Genres you lot produce< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
^NabLa^ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 12 2009, 08:58

I was wondering what music genres people around here normally consider their productions to fit in. I'd expect a lot of it to be oldfield-alike in some ways, in which I include myself. This is normal, after all we all have listened to insane amounts of Amarok or Ommadawn.

Just to get it out of the way, yes, you do produce music that'll fit in one style or the other even if you think, or would like to think, you don't. Unfortunately there's not a lot of people with the creative genius to come up with something totally new like Oldfield did back in the day. In this case, maybe it would be more appropriate to name artists? Oldfield meets Front 242 type of thing :)

So, I for one produce goa trance, and yes, if you listen carefully you can hear a lot of oldfield buried in there (arrangement, melodies, transitions...).

You?

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2009, 09:35

Well by trade as it were i'm more blues based.I don't have the technical ability to play like Mike.I can do some of it but not the really fast stuff.Part of the problem lies in getting other musicians that know Mike's stuff and then to get the music together if they do.Although there are lot of very good musicians arounf my area they don't know much more than the opening of TB! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2009, 12:09

I have not been actively recording for about 3 years, MO influence was always there to some degree, as well as others. I tend to lean towards 80's rock, kind of low to moderate-celtic activity, driving rock beat, minor scale stuff. Forgive me, I don't know what trance music is......please enlighten me. I always tried to do mostly 4/4 time rock with some clever turnarounds, lots of FX, one friend referred to my stuff circa late '90s as Acid Rock. I guess it was all that Steppenwolf and Doors theatrical influence. But having lived in Taiwan from 6yo to 9yo I was changed by strange scales, mostly minor(Chinese opera). I used to like to throw in a lot of orchestration. I guess A. Parsons and S. Hackett have hidden in some tracks more, but at times I was definately thinking about MO. The only track I've "thrown out there"(call me selfish) can be found on myspace, scatterplotjim, was from 1992. Interesting story(yeah, keep it short Jim!;), I was with my crazy 2nd wife, so crazy I never could find time for my music. Divorce was inevitable, so I had the phone disconnected for a month. A fine month, I immersed myself in MIDI, music, multitracks, etc. Did several tunes in that period. Rollercoaster was a blatant MO rip(not as in song but style), the git sound is not a git, I call it "freight train guitar" a trade secret using an Oberheim. I could not(still cant play -really- well) so I found a combination of things that sounded cool to me. Renaissance and Genesis also influenced me a lot. That year, the old movie Star Trek 4(the one about the humpback whales) was shown one night and I thought "I want whale-song on this". So for part C the closest thing I could find was a metallic swelling preset, panning around. Well it was fun at the time. I sincerely hope to not be so selfish with tunes when I find a new recording environment, but most need to be "re-worked", and new ones recorded pristinely before I do anything with them. I never post a song unless I like it....a lot.
    My 2 cents worth.....
                                 Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 04:50

Good stuff dudes, keep it coming.

Scatterplot it depends on what "trance" you're asking about as there are a few genres with "trance" on their name that are very, very different. Goa trance is a genre of electronic music,abundant in layers of melodies, syncopation, changes, and myriads of little details all over the place. It's music to be listened at and danced to. It originated around Goa (india) on the late 80's early 90's from psychedelic rock, ebm, industrial, acid techno and others. Commercial trance is totally different, so is psytrance even tho the later is the descendant of goa trance.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 10:02

Thanks. I was curious about that. So many new labels, names and genres. Its hard for an old soldier like me to keep up! There is one more I'm curious about? What is "Indie"?

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 12:23

"Indie" stands for Independent, but screw me if I have any idea of what that's supposed to mean nowadays.

My music, at least up until a couple of years ago, would fit quite squarely into "prog rock" or something like that -- very filled of tricks and quirks done simply for the sake of sounding "clever". But Big Robot, Little Robot is such a unholy God-forsaken mess of different kinds of crap that I just don't know how it could be labelled at all -- not in the sense that I made something unique and different, but in that not a single label would cover it sufficiently well. There's very little rock in it, and the little rock it has veers into what kids like to call "Post Rock", which is a label as stupid-sounding as "IDM" (don't get me started on that). Then there is straightforward (and not-so-straightforward) electronic music, samba, reggae, marching band music and a waltz. In short, any crazy idea I had would be thrown in that record; a bit like Ween, except friendly and earnest. Ween wants you to laugh at everybody else. I want everybody to laugh.

The next album I'm working on is a lot closer to "Post Rock". If I were famous, critics would possibly label it as that. But I don't produce music of any "genre" -- I pick up a lot of influences and let my own ideas wander very freely. If any day I come up with a great idea for a polka, you can bet YOUR LIFE that I'll do it. I even had an idea for a tango, but I just didn't have the opportunity to produce it yet. I even made a pastiche of traditional music from my region: check out the last track from this album to hear what it sounds like.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 13:16

This is a very good thread. I feel a lot of emotional tention here. It needs to be addressed and tapped into. Someone in a movie once said "share your pain and gain strength from the sharing". I forgot what movie, but it was relevant, that line. Tube-net and -me- suffers from the facts that 1. We want Mike Oldfield but must let go of him at the same time. 2. Those of us who -made- or -make- music revolving around the aforementioned guy's influence need to let go of him and move on. In my case, for the first time in many years I have a dog. He is better than human. No axes to grind, no buttons to push, yet he is EXTREMELY emotionally needy. I pick up a guitar......he slams me in the leg with a froggy toy. I can't ignore it. He gives me more love than the women who caused me to abandon music many times. With no gripes or bitches. I -HAD- a musical agenda to fill before I die. A one hour CD of my personal idea of music(not rap or Indie).....Prog rock as I'm old. Perhaps I will do it before Alzheimers kicks in(in my case alcohol related dementia).
    Hmmmm, I guess what I come away with is prioritize your time. MO used to allocate his time to music. Now us fanatics rally to this site to hear news of him or promote our "CD". Let the guy boat his way to Titan or beyond. I want to record! I'll get Eddy to understand or I'll let him spend more time with his 1st owner. Thanks for describing Indie for me. Whatever the label, anything newer than gee.....I guess David Gilmour "On An Island" 2007? is crap to me. I'm stuck in a world of the past. Art-rock. Maybe I'll leave something behind, maybe I wont. Eddy is my only significant other. A hard act to follow....that's Eddy.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 07:08

Haha IDM is quite possibly the most pretentious music genre name ever.

Prog rock a thing of the past? Possibly, but that doesn't mean it's passe or old fashioned; it is true that it isn't as popular anymore but I still enjoy the crap out of it whenever I hear it, including many a recording people from this forum has made. There's a shitload of talent here. Unfortunately good music this days don't sell records: marketing, babes and the same r&b track all over do.

I agree Oldfield's influence can be a bit of a burden at times; it is only natural we all have it - don't know you but since I discovered TB2 as a child I have listened to his music non-stop. I learned to play guitar with in dulci jubilo (first solo I ever learned), the flute with portsmouth, bass with the tubular bells canon. The way he layers background melody variations all the time resonate in my head and has shaped what I understand for "harmony": I mentally apply this to any music I ever have the pleasure to listen to, whatever the genre.

However IMO this is a very very valuable musical baggage, for much of it is truly unique.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 08:15

You learnt the solo to In Dulci Jubilo as you're first ever solo?Good god man you have some balls(or an incredible amount of patience)!!!One of his finest solo's IMO and a real swine to play.I still can't! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 09:35

That'll be patience haha took me weeks. I still enjoy playing it, it's a beautiful melody.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 09:37

It's the way he pays so fluidly that gets me.Most of us pause for breath and play shorter phrases.Mike never falters or pauses on this one.Brilliant!

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 09:40

Isn't it. But the solo that really does it for me I've never been able to play quite right is at the end of ommadawn pt2 - it's a proper  :O moment.

Sorry for the offtopic.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2009, 05:59

Quote (^NabLa^ @ Oct. 12 2009, 13:58)
I was wondering what music genres people around here normally consider their productions to fit in.

I guess I usually pick 'Instrumental Rock' out of the list if it's there. But I don't think there is a genre that fits my music perfectly well.

Taking my latest album, Endless Lives (link is free to listen to! ), there's some rock, some prog rock, some classical, some 'soundtrack' (for want of a better word), and some absolute crap ;-)

I don't know if I'm biased but I think it's more difficult when it's instrumental music.

Just my tuppence...

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 178 Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2010, 18:48

Quote (^NabLa^ @ Oct. 12 2009, 08:58)
I was wondering what music genres people around here normally consider their productions to fit in. I'd expect a lot of it to be oldfield-alike in some ways, in which I include myself. This is normal, after all we all have listened to insane amounts of Amarok or Ommadawn.

Just to get it out of the way, yes, you do produce music that'll fit in one style or the other even if you think, or would like to think, you don't. Unfortunately there's not a lot of people with the creative genius to come up with something totally new like Oldfield did back in the day. In this case, maybe it would be more appropriate to name artists? Oldfield meets Front 242 type of thing :)

So, I for one produce goa trance, and yes, if you listen carefully you can hear a lot of oldfield buried in there (arrangement, melodies, transitions...).

You?

Hi

my instrumentals I normally describe as 'ambient' as coined by Brian Eno. I genre hop as I have created what would be loosly described as trance. I also do 'pop' as well.

I could also describe my stuff as cinematic/electronica/chill . There are so many damn genres it's easy to get it wrong but I expect it's down to the artist what they think it should fall into.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2010, 22:07

Quietman, of the pieces of yours I've heard so far, my favourite is "Hand Across the Mountain" followed by "Rainbows in the Dark".
Profile PM 
14 replies since Oct. 12 2009, 08:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net