Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Funny on TB 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
pyrie Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 29 2003, 10:05

I've not seen this mentioned before - when I play TB - 2003 on my CD player at home and in the car... during the Master of Ceremonies section in about 1/2 way through there seems to be an echo of (I think) the work Gockenspiel - about midway through a track just in the background... is this a funny with the copy protection?

Apologies All round if this is an old one.. ;)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2003, 12:26

Look under a similar discussion in the TB2003 section of this forum. It's the 'Mandolin' introduction you're thinking of and yes it is said twice, for what reason we can't even begin to imagine,  and yes it's annoying. It's certainly deliberate and not a fault of the recording.
Profile PM 
HearItAll Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2003, 12:20

I noticed that too.  I did post a message some time ago regarding this and I was told that John Cleese liked when he said Mandolin so much, that he repeated it.  How true this is, I don't know, but I do agree that it is a tad annoying.
Profile PM 
YODA
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 09 2003, 16:52

Maybe its a side effect of copy protection where you get

'I think'

throughout the album  :p  ARRRRRG !!!!!
Guimauve2 Offline

Posted: April 15 2004, 21:42

Quote (HearItAll @ Nov. 25 2003, 12:20)
I noticed that too.  I did post a message some time ago regarding this and I was told that John Cleese liked when he said Mandolin so much, that he repeated it.  How true this is, I don't know, but I do agree that it is a tad annoying.

This can't be true, for one reason.  It is the same "mandolin" you hear in TB2003.  I mean, it's just copy-pasted.  MO just took the "mandolin" think, copied it, make it sound less lounder, then pasted it later in the "song".  So, JC just said it once, and it is the part that is repeated.
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: April 20 2004, 10:07

Yes, I don't know why people can't seem to accept that it does indeed sound like the very same "Mandolin" audio file from before simply dropped onto the recording at that later spot.  Funny how it is insisted that it was intentional, when on other album threads, particularly regarding a glitch at the end of The Wind Chimes, those are always stated as being accidental.  :/
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 20 2004, 11:46

Well, I don't know about the sound on The Wind Chimes, it could well have been left there intentionally too.

Certainly with the repeat of Mandolin, I'd say it's either intentional or Mike and Ben Darlow have lost their hearing and their eyesight. If this many fans, listening to the 16 bit CD on consumer level equipment can hear it, why would it be that Mike, listening to the 24 bit master on £30,000 loudspeakers can't? If he couldn't hear it then he'd certainly see it on screen, or on the meters, as there'd be activity in the MC track where there shouldn't be. The fact that it's quieter also points to it being deliberate - if he'd just accidentally copied the section instead of dragging it to somewhere else, it would be at the same volume.

I would say that he must have listened to the album so many times during the making, that something would have to be going very wrong if he hadn't heard that. Of course, there are a few other things that did seem to get overlooked, so who knows...
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 20 2004, 12:28

I'd like to think he just did it to add a bit of mystery to the album; maybe he thinks all classic albums need something like this, which people will be puzzled over  :D
BTW, I don't see why people find it so annoying. Well, I see why, but I don't find it annoying. Not nearly as annoying as some other things on the album...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 20 2004, 15:59

Quote (Holger @ April 20 2004, 12:28)
I'd like to think he just did it to add a bit of mystery to the album; maybe he thinks all classic albums need something like this, which people will be puzzled over  :D

Yeah, like the lady's scream in the Ohio Players' "Love Rollercoaster"! :D

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TubularFamilyMan Offline

Posted: June 30 2005, 13:38

I was very puzzled about this as well and was about to post a topic like this before I saw this one.

It's not that annoying...
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 21 2007, 01:38

Aha! Good to know I wasn't imagining things. I don't find it at all annoying, but rather a pleasant surprise.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
10 replies since Oct. 29 2003, 10:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net