Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: funny change< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jesse Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 15:10

I remember, back a year ago or so..I bought the concertdvd. I had not heard the album yet at all, so I was curious....

It was very hard for me to listen to it...it felt like each tune was just a shallow rip off of the original, and made me want to hear those tunes instead! I played the dvd, had a hard time finishing it...I thought it was flatly amusing, but only barely.

Funny how i dismissed it and let it 'gather dust' for a year, when a month ago i played it out of boredom...

I should have known that when,- unexpecedly - I got tears in my eyes when the intro began...I concluded it must be the love from his fans for his work...to have such an artist be able to play for all those people who want to hear him play his masterpiece....that was moving. You can see it in Mike's eyes too...

but musically i was blown away: constantly i was thinking: "wait a second, this is in TBII???!"...it turned slowly into my no 1 MO album till date...

anyone else had a hard time not comparing it with the original at first? it seems to cloud your vision on what nice music is actually being played...
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 15:47

It's great that the music has become a favorite for you, Jesse. When I first saw the Tubular Bells II concert I wasn't entirely familiar with the original Tubular Bells having only heard it a couple of times many years earlier. So I only recognized part of the opening theme - everything else sounded new to me. It's very recently that I've grown to appreciate TB, and it's been fascinating finding the correlations between the works.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 16:01

TB2 what a smashin album.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 16:20

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Aug. 20 2007, 21:01)
TB2 what a smashin album.

Yep. Definitely in my top three.
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 16:34

When I first heard TBII, it seemed too polished, and it didn't start with what I thought was "the proper beginning of Tubular Bells", which irked me.  But the more I listened, the more I appreciated it as a piece of music in it's own right.
When it came to the dvd, I really didn't like it at first.  
The only other dvd of Mike's that I've seen is the Montreux '81 concert, which I loved (and still do).  There were only 7 people on the stage, it was intimate, it was emotional and Mike goofed a couple of times but it was nothing major and just added to the realness of the whole thing.
So in comparison the TBII concert seemed too organised.  And it used too many people.

I can't remember what changed my opinion.  All I know is, as much as I wish I could've been at Montreux, I wish as wholeheartedly that I could've been at the TBII premiere too.  Something magical happened that evening.  You're right - you can see it in Mike's face.  The music seemed to move him as much as everyone in the audience... and us sitting watching it at home.  It always seemed to me that there was still some part of the 19 year old that wrote the original in him, that the emotion was still there.

I now love both the album and the live performance.  It's fascinating to watch, and beautiful to listen to.
:cool:
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 16:41

yeah...look at the people enjoying themselves...it's like it's still intimate..but everyone's invited.

i wonder if i will 'discover' more albums after my first reacions to them :D
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 17:00

Quote (Jesse @ Aug. 20 2007, 21:41)

More than likely.  I did.  It took me a long while to get into TBIII, but when I did I couldn't believe what I'd been missing out on.  And Amarok - though I knew it was a masterpiece, it was a strange one, and it took me a few listens to actually "get" it.  But when I did - wow!
You can't be expected to like everything the first time round. :D

:)
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 14:00

It was exactly the opposite for me. When I first heard TBII I really felt in love with it, and I thought "I've got to buy more albums from this Oldfield guy". And when I bought the original, and pressed "Play"... OMG, that was almost the same, but so dark, so harsh, out of tune, out of time... I heard it once, and then I run to play TBII, and just dismissed it for a long time. Now it's one of my favourites, if not my favourite.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 14:49

In my case,the very first time I've heard TB II was completely boring and  :zzz: .It was way back in 92 when TB II was broadcasted on a brazilian tv channel and me intrigued by the tv ad,decided to watch...

In 1998,again on the telly here I saw a small music show which featured MO,and they showed Sentinel,which I loved and Tatoo,which I hated,ha ha!

Now I do like the album as well as the premiere.TB II has got a great atmosphere that only the music can describe how special it is.Getting to visit Edinburgh Castle last january while listening to TB II on my ipod was just ab fab!

It's my fav TB series album.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
oldfieldfan06 Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2007, 11:43

Quote (Ebony @ Aug. 20 2007, 17:00)
Quote (Jesse @ Aug. 20 2007, 21:41)

More than likely.  I did.  It took me a long while to get into TBIII, but when I did I couldn't believe what I'd been missing out on.  And Amarok - though I knew it was a masterpiece, it was a strange one, and it took me a few listens to actually "get" it.  But when I did - wow!
You can't be expected to like everything the first time round. :D

:)

tbIII is good, but it is already too much influenced with comps...   ;)
Profile PM 
9 replies since Aug. 20 2007, 15:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net