Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Free Tubular Bells in the Mail on Sunday< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 22 2007, 04:38

Maybe this Site will be swamped with Newbies if the FREE CD Promo Works !!?    Nice Promo Video on ITV last night by the way... Pinched inbetween Gameshow Marathon and Youve been Framed  lol..   :D
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 22 2007, 06:59

Its a good opportunity to leave a comment on the Mail on Sunday site saying something about Mike. I've done that and forgot to mention his autobiog so could somebody please fill in my gap and give it a plug??? Ta, Mark
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 07:24

I also left a comment. Got a few copies of the paper but dissapointingly, no articles on Mike  :/

Already the CDs are popping up on Ebay. Right now there will be a lot of people experiencing this music for the first time in their lives and getting hooked. Lets hope a new following takes off as there is a bit of a buzz around 1973 at the moment. Forget Ziggy Stardust rubbish, this music really was new and genius.
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 07:27

CONFIRMED :-

'Mike Oldfield is currently working on his debut classical recording, for choir and orchestra, set for release through Universal in October. Using musical and lyrical themes associated with the ancient festival of Hallowe’en, this is powerful and emotional music that is bound to appeal to Mike Oldfield fans, and beyond.'

Link:-http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/prmts/prmts.html?in_article_id=449786&in_page_id=1777

Neil
:D  :)  :D
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 07:55

Wow, October  :)  :)  that's not long to wait. What a year this is turning out to be!! Really, really pleased.

I added my little bit to the paper, never spoken to a National Paper before!

I saw the ad on telelvision too, that bell was flying around rather too fast to my eye. But it was on several times so that may have done some good.

A very Happy bee

:)  :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 09:40

It has just occured to me that the album is free with the paper and they claim the artwork is original. It certainly looks as if it is, so who has given permission for it to be used or is it all tied up with the music as a whole?

It doesn't really matter, I suppose, but I'm just curious as I kind of remember there being a bit of an issue with who had the rights to the bell image etc. ( I may be confusing it with something else - I do tend to get the wrong end of the stick sometimes !;)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 22 2007, 11:41

Quote (simmo2005 @ April 18 2007, 14:43)
this is the worst thing i've ever read on this site. Oldfield's best-selling album being GIVEN AWAY. Talk about cheapening a quality album.

I don't wish to be insulting, especially against an old post, but I think that's a pretty elitist view. Wikipedia, as well as many other sites, has several classical pieces for free download - amongst them, Beethoven's Symphony no. 5. Is that cheapening the pieces' quality too?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 14:01

well, the advert worked and by gum I got the urge to buy the paper myself.[ like I was'nt going to] ;)

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 14:23

Maybe it's a promo tool to get people ready for Changeling....?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 14:59

I can't miss an opportunity to say that I agree with Sir M!

Somewhere on this forum, some months ago, I posted a link to a site where you can legitimately download superb historic recordings of Edward Elgar conducting his own second symphony, all entirely free. The value of a work of art doesn't really have anything much to do with the price you pay for it.
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 17:54

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 22 2007, 11:41)
this is the worst thing i've ever read on this site. Oldfield's best-selling album being GIVEN AWAY. Talk about cheapening a quality album.

I don't wish to be insulting, especially against an old post, but I think that's a pretty elitist view. Wikipedia, as well as many other sites, has several classical pieces for free download - amongst them, Beethoven's Symphony no. 5. Is that cheapening the pieces' quality too?

Yeah, but... The Mail??! Surely they could've chosen a different paper to promote Mike in...

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: April 23 2007, 05:01

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ April 22 2007, 17:54)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 22 2007, 11:41)

Yeah, but... The Mail??! Surely they could've chosen a different paper to promote Mike in...

Giving CD away is primary to promote newspapers and not artist.  Perhaps they simply thought people who read Mail are not those listening to Mike  :p
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 23 2007, 07:41

Alan D, you say above
The value of a work of art doesn't really have anything much to do with the price you pay for it.

and yet you said a few months back when discussing making MusicVR freely available:

I didn't see the issue so much about choice (though I see why you think I did - sorry), as about the fact that people often seem to regard something more highly if it's cost them something, than if it comes to them effortlessly. (The DVD that came free with a newspaper tends to be thrown away with the newspaper, but the one we bought is maybe more likely to find its way onto a shelf, even if we don't like it much.) I wouldn't want to carve it in stone as a principle, and there's no shortage of exceptions - but there is that human tendency, I think.

Changed your tune a bit I'm please to see, or maybe this is one of your "exceptions" ;)

Me, I love the idea that more people might enjoy Mikes music by such promotions and hopefully it will encourage further sales.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 23 2007, 12:24

Quote (Matt @ April 23 2007, 12:41)
Changed your tune a bit I'm please to see

Well, I'm flattered that you remembered that old comment, Matt! I'd forgotten it!

Actually I think there are two different points here. The old statement is about psychology: I was observing that most people probably tend to think more highly of something that has cost them some effort (or money) to acquire. But that's a comment about the people, not the art.

My comment in this thread was really a comment about the value of art, and the fact that its price is irrelevant to that. You could buy a Cezanne for next to nothing in 1880. Now it would cost you millions. But the art is the same (kind of a reversal of the Tubular Bells situation).

In general I'm happy to admit that my opinions change as time goes on (that's how we grow); but I don't think this is an example of it.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 23 2007, 13:07

Ok,giving TB for free can work as a promo tool for Changeling,but...makes people think that Mike Oldfield = Tubular Bells and just that  :(

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 23 2007, 16:01

Better a copy of TB free with a sunday read than a copy given away free with every puchase of a 2 litre bottle of fabric conditioner.

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 23 2007, 17:40

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ April 23 2007, 21:01)
Better a copy of TB free with a sunday read than a copy given away free with every puchase of a 2 litre bottle of fabric conditioner.

Sir.

On behalf of the Royal Society for the Appreciation of Fabric Conditioner, and indeed of all lovers of fabric-conditioning art everywhere, I protest!

Softly Yours,
Alan D (R.S.A.F.C)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 24 2007, 04:15

Sir

I write as spokesman for the Society of Freebie Issuers and I wish to draw to your attention that the 'freebie' is an excellent device by which to raise public awareness of an album. Mr Oldfield need not worry about Tubular Bells being given away in The Mail on Sunday.

I refer, ofcourse, to a very successful campaign - The 'Science and Discovery Pack' (given away with boxes of the popular breakfast cereal Weetabricks) entitled "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb". This educational tool was designed to spark interest & enthusiasm, & here I quote from the enclosed booklet, 'U2 can learn how to construct something utterly, devastatingly scientific'. It contained a monkey wrench, spanners, several bags of nuts, bolts & rivets, a chamois leather and a cd rom. Sales of cereal have blown records previously made.

I hope the fabric conditioner manufacturers will see the potential. With the right freebie, the sky is the limit.

Yours freely

Edith Osgood  (tea lady)

Society of Freebie Issuers
;)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 24 2007, 14:32

silly suds :D

--------------
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: April 25 2007, 03:25

Next page!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
51 replies since April 15 2007, 15:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net