Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Free Tubular Bells in the Mail on Sunday< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 25 2007, 03:35

Maybe the promo is working, I heard someone proudly playing Tubular Bells in their car yesterday at full volume down our street. Almost like someone would play techno in their car!

On the fabric conditioner front, I think you're all working yourself up into a lather over nothing.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: April 30 2007, 17:02

Well i think its cool that Mike has finally got some primetime promotion in the uk, albeit with an album everyone knows about, in a paper no one cares about, lol (sorry Mail readers) but having said that it opens up the possibilities of back catalouge sales and a new generation of fans.

If it is Virgin milking the last few £££££ out of mike before they lose the rights, they may have inadvertantly boosted his career from a solid fan base in to a upwardly mobile one, although i dont thnk they own they rights do they? after all i thought he had to wait for the rights to expire before he could remake it, so that would suggest that Virgin don't own the TB rights now??

whatever the motives i think it is all good for mike, so bring on the next gen of fans!

:)  :)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 06:36

I heard they listed Sally as "chorus" and not as "girlie chorus". Have they also left out the other nice comments on the sleeve such as the glorious stereo, police station?
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 09:35

In Music Week this week, page 5, There is outcry from retailers that TB has been given away- it has cheapened the quality of such a classic album, and this was my original point of view!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 13:49

Quote (simmo2005 @ May 03 2007, 09:35)
In Music Week this week, page 5, There is outcry from retailers that TB has been given away- it has cheapened the quality of such a classic album, and this was my original point of view!

Then again music retailers would say that wouldn't they since they're loosing out on sales. Don't think for a second though that as far as Mike and Virgin are concerned TB was being given away free. The Mail on Sunday will have paid a substantial amount for such a freebie so I doubt Mike's complaining.
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 16:10

well according to the article Virgin EMI made 200k from the deal. However, it was made before Mike's back catalogue transfers to Universal in 208. Virgin are squeezing the last profits they can from TB whilst at the same time ensuring they have diminished it's potential sales value for Universal and indeed future sales.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 17:56

To say they're trying to squeeze a last bit of profit from it by doing this deal is probably spot on. Though I think its probably wishful thinking on Virgins part that they're going to damage future sales and potential sales value by having done this deal. The Mail on Sunday sales are not astronomical and it was for one day only in the life time of a hugely successful and legendary album. On top of that giving the album away for free with a newspaper isn't something to get to in a tizz about considering at any given second across the internet the album is being given away for free via Limewire, Bittorrent or any other free MP3 download service to those that want it.

Anyway it wouldn't surprise me that when they come back to Mike's ownership next year he doesn't attempt to do something to get his albums including TB selling again.
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 04 2007, 03:45

Quote (TOBY @ May 03 2007, 17:56)
Anyway it wouldn't surprise me that when they come back to Mike's ownership next year he doesn't attempt to do something to get his albums including TB selling again

Re Releasing Old Albums is normally donewith either a "Remix" or "Remaster" version to get the old Fans interested or more Hopefully some Unreleased Bonus Material on Each Disc !!  So it could be Interesting .. :D
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: May 05 2007, 03:54

Quote (hairy old hippy @ April 25 2007, 03:35)
On the fabric conditioner front, I think you're all working yourself up into a lather over nothing.

That's a very Bold statement, Hippy, but I hope they derive some Comfort from it...  :p

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: May 05 2007, 12:36

[/QUOTE]The Mail on Sunday will have paid a substantial amount for such a freebie so I doubt Mike's complaining[QUOTE]

Having just looked on MUSIC WEEK's website- there is a new headline: OLDFIELD ATTACKS TUBULAR BELLS GIVEAWAY! I am not registered with the site but would be interested to know what the article says. Is anyone registered on musicweek.com?
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 17 2007, 09:12

Well ive just been enticed into buying my second copy of "Mail on Sunday" after being persuaded getting the "Peter Gabriel" CD would make a good investment... It is rather excellent as well, No Self Control on cd sounds a mark up from my Vinyl version..  Any way I see PG has been smart and let them release a "Best of Selection"  I reckoned MO would of been better off having the MoS release something Similar than the 1 complete album which got everyone up in a bit a of a "Huff"  :cool:
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 18 2007, 04:49

Curses! I meant to get that paper on Sunday. I forgot. The cd did look good, hope you continue to enjoy it Deadcalm.

Interesting that the 'older' artists seem to be either intentionally or unintentionally getting involved with this newspaper/cd give away idea.

I'd have thought that downloads were the way to go to attract new young people. I wonder what audience they are aiming at here.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
51 replies since April 15 2007, 15:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net