Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Free Tubular Bells in the Mail on Sunday< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 15 2007, 15:05

The Mail on Sunday will offer a free Tubular Bells CD on April 22, along with Sir Richard Branson's secrets behind the creation of Tubular Bells.

Thanks, Richard Patrick.

Update: The article in the Mail on Sunday says:
    Mike Oldfield is currently working on his debut classical recording, for choir and orchestra, set for release through Universal in October. Using musical and lyrical themes associated with the ancient festival of Hallowe'en, this is powerful and emotional music that is bound to appeal to Mike Oldfield fans, and beyond.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 15 2007, 16:50

??? They act like it's very unique that Tubular Bells is available on cd! Jeez, it's probably one of the most popular cd's sold throughout the world, since what, like 1981 or something!

Nice to see a picture of Mike and Branson together though. Didn't know that one; althought the comment isn't really correct: "Oldfield and Branson in the early 70's". Yeah right, I think it's more like the early 80's (right before their legal fights me thinks).

Of course Richard Branson speaks like he's the one who all had done it, as if he invited Mike to the Manor with open arms. I heard other stories... but funny to hear that Richard Branson would have hired a Mellotron for Mike... wandering how Tubular Bells would sound with a Mellotron!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 15 2007, 20:20

That same pic(from mid 80's) appear on RB's autobiography as well as you can see on his book the full list of instruments hired to record TB.

Richard Branson is now a Sir...but Mike,nope.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 16 2007, 03:25

I Wonder what version it will be??  Standard , remastered , 2003 version ?? :D  H just clicked on the Link.. Sounds like the original it will be then ..
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 16 2007, 03:52

Good news! Given the large readership of the Mail, that article should encourage a lot of interest in Mike's book, due out in a few weeks time, and hopefully make it even more successful for him ~ also helping the charity he is supporting.

The picture reminds me a lot of the Mike from the Incantations/Platinum time. Nice shirt!!!!

Not long ago, I ordered Killing Fields from Amazon or somewhere and the very week it arrived the dvd was given away in a newspaper! Curses!! I'll not have the same problem this time :D

But I do find it odd that so many people will have access to this masterpiece and not have the slightest idea just how valuable, precious, and truly worthy the music is. It's from another place or time. I can't bear to think of it not being appreciated properly. But it could start another wave of interest, maybe among younger people?

Still not sure what I think about Richard Branson, on one hand I admire his spirit and determination and on the other I think what does he really think about the music? But then it's a business too in a way. I'll have to get his book too ( after Mike's!!!;) and decide then.

bee :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
New World Man Offline

Posted: April 16 2007, 04:50

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 16 2007, 01:20)

Nice point Tati, regards the lack of honour for Mike for his life long contribution to the music industry of this mortal coil of ours.
Shame my petition (which is still going) on the UK No10 Downing Street hasn't received many votes - maybe no-one gives two hoots? :/

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/MikeOldfield/

Shame non Uk residents cannot vote  :(
xxx

--------------
Life is a spiral, time is a curve
I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve...
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 16 2007, 05:13

Slightly off topic:

SIMPLE MINDS LIVE DOUBLE CD - FREE INSIDE THE SUNDAY EXPRESS.

Over the next two weekends the Sunday Express will give away two SimpleMinds Live CD's as part of a massive promotion celebrating the bands current success.

www.simpleminds.com

:)
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: April 18 2007, 05:56

Quote (Olivier @ April 15 2007, 21:05)
The Mail on Sunday will offer a free Tubular Bells CD on April 22, along with Sir

I don't understand. Someone is selling an item called "MIKE OLDFIELD Tubular Bells PROMO CD (2007) + ARTICLE" in Ebay. Olivier wrote that The Mail On Sunday will offer this CD next Sunday!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....=1&rd=1
How is it possible ?

:/

Thank you  

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 18 2007, 08:53

The auction ends on the 24th and the article will be published on the 22nd.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: April 18 2007, 12:11

Ok. If I understand, the seller has not this item yet!

Thank you :)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: April 18 2007, 14:43

this is the worst thing i've ever read on this site. Oldfield's best-selling album being GIVEN AWAY. Talk about cheapening a quality album. I could understand it if the LIVE version was being offered, but the complete recording of the studio album???? who's decsision was this?

Does anyone else agree this is a bad move? it's like giving a Pink Floyd studio album away free. Mike- you won't gain any new fans by doing this, but you will look a laughing stock-sorry!
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: April 18 2007, 16:57

Quote (simmo2005 @ April 18 2007, 14:43)
this is the worst thing i've ever read on this site. Oldfield's best-selling album being GIVEN AWAY. Talk about cheapening a quality album.

At £2.99, our local branch of HMV are practically giving it away anyway...  :/

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 18 2007, 17:31

Quote (simmo2005 @ April 18 2007, 14:43)
this is the worst thing i've ever read on this site. Oldfield's best-selling album being GIVEN AWAY. Talk about cheapening a quality album. I could understand it if the LIVE version was being offered, but the complete recording of the studio album???? who's decsision was this?

Does anyone else agree this is a bad move? it's like giving a Pink Floyd studio album away free. Mike- you won't gain any new fans by doing this, but you will look a laughing stock-sorry!

There's a few things Mike has done in his career that made him look a laughing stock (the Voyager album cover for starters) but this isn't one of them. Its probably completely out with his control, these deals are set up between the newspaper publisher and the record company. Free movie DVD's and albums are given away free all the time by the big newspapers, I don't think it demeaned the Killing Fields DVD to have it given away free with a newspaper, which it was a while back. To be honest I think giving away TB free can only give Mike some much needed promotion in this country.  My only big beef is that its being given away with the Mail on Sunday, which as far a culturaly sophisticated newspaper is concerned is pretty much only good for bottom wiping.
So giving away a free TB CD could have been a great idea, giving it away in the Mail on Sunday may well be a bit of a missed shot.

Toby
(a Guardian reader)
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: April 18 2007, 17:49

I agree that this could give Mike more attention.  To bring more fresh blood (new audience) to certain artist one needs new good albums, large good tours or look in a way that you get those thoughts right away.  Mike fits none of those and this seems to be free promotion.  Who will like TB will get interested in TB2 and rest of it pretty soon.  With Mike working on new music piece and book coming soon, if this is played out in proper manner, it's going to be really good.
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 18 2007, 19:02

And don't forget - at the last count (given the record sales) about a third of britain already owns this album!  :D

well, maybe not, but it is a cultural icon and many many people own it or once owned it. So, by giving it away it can only resurrect some interest in Mike and his back catalouge, which Virgin only have a short time to make money on before they lose control.

At current cd pressing costs, and given the circulation of the Moan on Sunday, this is still cheaper than many other advertising methods.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
BeeNBee Offline

Posted: April 20 2007, 12:12

Quote (New World Man @ April 16 2007, 10:50)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 16 2007, 01:20)

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/MikeOldfield/

Shame non Uk residents cannot vote  :(
xxx

It's a pitty that non UK residents cannot vote. I am from Poland and If I was to vote for something, this would be the thing I would not hesitate about. But taking into consideration that (As far as I know) Polish workers in Scotland will be probably given some kind of voting possiblities then why not doing it with this issue?  ;)

--------------
" Michal Kochamy Cie! " - Katowice 1999
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 20 2007, 13:45

what this promotion needs is a big advert on the telly and being friday it will probably get one.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 20 2007, 13:50

Quote (olracUK @ April 19 2007, 00:02)
And don't forget - at the last count (given the record sales) about a third of britain already owns this album!  :D

That is amazing!

In a way this cd being given away reminds me of Picasso signing blank napkins at a table in a restaurant years ago. The recipients in both cases will have come away with an 'original' piece of artwork, a very precious thing ~ albeit in a different sense of the word! Although I imagine it was not Mike's idea to give them away. I still think it's a good move from the profile raising point of view.

He could always sign some napkins if all else fails!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: April 20 2007, 19:39

I wish they would give away tubularbells with the local rag here LOL  :laugh:

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: April 21 2007, 04:39

SIMPLE MINDS LIVE DOUBLE CD - FREE INSIDE THE SUNDAY EXPRESS

Yes and I still won't buy it. Never could get into Simple Minds. Don't you forget about me....?     I did way back in 1985.

I think Tub Bells could give Mike a bit of profile again but he needs to do all the TV interviews before the book. Due to the current trend in revival of many 70's rock songs and general interest in prog rock, this could be Mike's time .Its a funny world.

The picture of him and Branson was taken circa 1985/86 when he had all that expensive video suite installed (a waste of money in my opinion) as you can see the monitor behind them. This was just after they had their court case and made friends as the case was around 83/84. Also around this time they started going out ballooning and other social things, once resulting in them crash landing on the roof of a bakery.
Profile PM WEB 
51 replies since April 15 2007, 15:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net