Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Freddie Mercury 05/09/1946-24/11/1991< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SoimSandheaver Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2006, 13:06

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Sep. 09 2006, 00:12)
Speaking of Queen I'd like to see Mike and Brian May work together WOW!!!!  :D , but I guess this will remain a figment of my wild imagination.

Moonchild, You just wrote the magic words...the kind of words that are going to have a profound effect on me for a long time. The two best guitarrists ever coming together on any sort of work would be a pleasure to listen to, whatever the subject (if any) of the song itself. When they are in the zone, their solos can have a psychedelic quality to them, and I love it when that happens. They also have a slightly anthemic feel to them (in May's case "We Will Rock You" and Mike's would have to be "Outcast").

Anyway, thanks for the thought.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2006, 06:12

Well said Sandheaver,I've just posted a  similar thing on the Queen on Line forums I can only hope that Mike and Brian happen to read our comments and take them on board   :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 10 2006, 10:06

The TK    "Tie Your Mother Down"  is my fav  Queen Guitar
Driven Song...  I think Mike could easily copy Brian Mays
Style .. Be an interesting collaboration if it ever came off..
Would you want Vocals in there ??? or just a Instrumental? :D
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2006, 14:56

Nothing against the vocal qualities of the two artists, (they both have a very good vocal quality), but their qualities as instrumentalists is simply impeccable. I would have to say that I'd prefer an Instrumental from the two of them. If Brian May's Brighton Solo (which he performed at the extaordinary Wembley concert in '86) is anything to go by, an instrumental composition from the two would be well worth a listen to.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 11 2006, 06:19

Ive just Borrowed my Sisters copy  of Brian Mays Solo Album
Back to the Light....  3 Tks in and its sounding really Good...
Will have to play the whole thing to give it 10 out of 10 though... :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2006, 17:33

Quote (Deadcalm @ Sep. 11 2006, 12:19)

I don't think that BTTL as a whole is on a par with anything that Queen or Freddie Mercury have ever released. The instrumental work on BTTL is fantastic, sure, but what isn't so good is the vocals... OK, Brian M.'s got perfect pitch, but he hasn't got none of the power of Freddie, or of the harmonies built by Queen, which are IMHO an essential requirement of this kind of music. I also think that "Too much love will kill you", a tune which was just a nice ditty when the writer (Brian) sang it, turned into a real song,  and a much better one, when Freddie sang it (and Queen played it) on "Made in Heaven". I know that a lot of Queen fans hate the way in which Brian, Roger & John played around with the previously-released Mercury material and with the last stuff he recorded. But I think that it's a very good record on the whole. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2006, 19:07

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 11 2006, 22:33)
Quote (Deadcalm @ Sep. 11 2006, 12:19)

I don't think that BTTL as a whole is on a par with anything that Queen or Freddie Mercury have ever released. The instrumental work on BTTL is fantastic, sure, but what isn't so good is the vocals... OK, Brian M.'s got perfect pitch, but he hasn't got none of the power of Freddie, or of the harmonies built by Queen, which are IMHO an essential requirement of this kind of music. I also think that "Too much love will kill you", a tune which was just a nice ditty when the writer (Brian) sang it, turned into a real song,  and a much better one, when Freddie sang it (and Queen played it) on "Made in Heaven". I know that a lot of Queen fans hate the way in which Brian, Roger & John played around with the previously-released Mercury material and with the last stuff he recorded. But I think that it's a very good record on the whole. :)

I happen  to be a fan of The Made In Heaven album, standout tracks for me is the superb "Mother Love" andalso "Heaven For Everyone, (great video BTW) :D.  I don't understand why some Queen fans dislike it.  Yes I think Queen works better as a band rather than each member doing solo projects, I dohowever like Brian May when he formed his own band.   I happened to see them live on "The Back To The Light" Tour at Birmingham NEC,Wow!!!
Unfortunately I had to cut back on concert going in the late 90's/early00's  :( ,but it's about timeI beganto rock and roll again.

Deadcalm wrote - The TK    "Tie Your Mother Down"  is my fav  Queen Guitar
Driven Song...  I think Mike could easily copy Brian Mays
Style .. Be an interesting collaboration if it ever came off..
Would you want Vocals in there ??? or just a Instrumental?

To answer the point made by Ugo  about Brian May's vocals,I happen to think Brian has very good vocals,admittedly not the range of Freddie,  but checkout his delivery on on " '39" "Long Away" "Some Day One Day" , "Dreamer's Ball or "Sleeping on the Sidewalk" .  

Toanwer Deadcalm's question "Vocal or instrumental" I'm undicided I think Brian's voice is really well  suited to folky ballads such as '39,and I love Mike's sometimes  growly vocals on Five Miles  Out.   I think I'd like to have a combination, ending in a side long instrumental piece.    :cool:

SoimSandheaver   Posted on Sep. 10 2006, 19:56Nothing against the vocal qualities of the two artists, (they both have a very good vocal quality), but their qualities as instrumentalists is simply impeccable. I would have to say that I'd prefer an Instrumental from the two of them. If Brian May's Brighton Solo (which he performed at the extaordinary Wembley concert in '86) is anything to go by, an instrumental composition from the two would be well worth a listen to.

I agree Sandheaver Brighton Rock ROCKS!!!! I thinkI first heard it on the "Live Killers" album,  yes I know there's complaints about the original mastering of LK , I wonderif the CD's are ant better.  The LK version of Brighton Rock sent a shiver down my spine the first time I heard it, so beatifully haunting, and still has that ability,except I haven't heard it for along time as I only have LK  
on LP and am at present without a turntable  :( , WAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  Sorry just metamorphosed intoPiltdown Woman there, the angry frustrated me.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Justine Fly Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2016, 04:06

Hi everyone ! As you know ... now , Freddie would have been 70 in 6 days
Freddie was unique (and still is) , unfortunately some people interpreted his character in a wrong way or just simply get his character mixed of with the man he was in real life ...
but like what he would have said : " I don't give a sh*t "  :laugh: (like Bri' said , it's difficult to not quote Freddie without * or beeps ... swear words were a big part of his character's vocabulary :laugh: ) . Anyway , the thing is that he lead a double life , full of obstacles , but he litteraly squashed these ones and turned them into art !
His character , Freddie , just like Farrokh in real life , are two great men and I think that they both deserved the recognition that they received from their fans .

Mike seems in a way to look like Freddie (in real life) , they're both quite shy and want to keep all their private life away from most of people surrounding them , the difference between them is , I think , that Freddie was also a singer , so he had  not only to make music , but he also had to make a show , so he created a character , at once to hide his private life , entertain the public , and have fun with his other hobbies from art ( as most of you may know , he loved drawing , designing clothes/costumes and also loved to see operas , ballets , etc ...) . I personnaly think that this more sociable side of Freddie comes from the fact that he had to live in a kind of community , because he was forced to go to a boarding school very early , but also when he moved away to GB ,  ( he certainly had to manage a lot of things by himself ) , and then maybe because he discovered that he was homosexual , so the only places where gay people were "safe" was maybe in a gay community , at least safe in front of journalists (I did not grow in the 80's but by watching some documentaries or interviews , people seemed to had a real problem to respect homosexual people) .

I so want to be at his birthday party ... hm ... one day I will , swear it

--------------
- All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy -
Profile PM 
27 replies since Nov. 24 2005, 05:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net