Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Freddie Mercury 05/09/1946-24/11/1991< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 24 2005, 05:11

Today marks the 14th Anniversary of the sad and untimely passing of Freddie Mercury into the spirit word.

Wow what a performer, he certainally had a stage presence ( I'm a little too young to have seen Queen live with Freddie. My parents wouldn't let me go and see Queen Live at Wembley or Knebworth in 1986, cry,cry,cry, I was 15).

Queen combined elements of Rock, Prog,  and Glam Rock and made  a success of it, later on would also include elements of Punk("Sheer Heart Attack" and "Fight From The Inside") or Disco ("Another One Bites The Dust", much of the "Hot Space" album).

It was in 1984 I really began to appreciate Queen's music with the release of "Radio GaGa" and "I Want To Break Free", after hearing IWTBF I was a Queen convert, went out bought "The Works" on LP, began to buy the Queen back catalogue on LP.

It was Queen's music that got me out of listening to 80's pop             :O , and  into 60's and 70's rock.

I thought this would be an apt time to pay tribute to one of the rock worlds greatest showmen :), THANK YOU FREDDIE.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2005, 04:09

Only just noticed this post - ah the fabulous Freddie Mercury :) yesterday was a special day for highlighting Aids,and there were various things going on in this country as well as special tribute programmes on sky tv(biography channel).

I saw part of the Freddie Mercury one,and got a lump in my throat/full of emotion especially when they showed parts of "Barcelona" duet and parts of an interview with M.C(not sure of the correct spelling of her name)anyway,she spoke with passion on how they first met and sang together,and a home made tape recording was played,with them both singing/talking it was all very,very, moving.

Freddie Mercury - fabulous talent,lovely dear sweet darling of a man also .
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2005, 05:14

This is very weird this thread appearing after I mentioned Freddie Mercury in another thread very recently. And I apologise to my two friends who have posted.

I promised myself I would not be negative and I said in the other thread that I wouldn't stop listening to Mikes music even if he was a murderer, but I mentioned being 'put off' by what I had heard about Freddie Mercury (being a non-fan). So I ask you this, assuming that what I heard is true of course. How can you admire someone who willfully and deliberately affected young men with
AIDS just because he was mad at the world!!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2005, 07:14

Tubular Belle, what you said was kind of a shock to me I think... Because I didn't know that (if it's true of course) and I'm a reasonably big fan of Queen...
I would be very disappointed in him, because just a few hours before I read your post in which you mentioned that, I was (almost) moved to tears when hearing him sing Barcelona on the car radio...

(but if this whole thing falls under the category 'too personal stuff about musicians' then I'm sorry and will delete this message, especially after that topic about negativity that turned out to become a very unpleasant thread, which discussed things about Mikes life that are too personal/insulting to mention)

Stefan

EDIT: YEAH, I AGREE WITH KORGSCREW, THERE IS TOO LITTLE EVIDENCE AND IT'S NOT A NICE SUBJECT TO EXPLORE, AND NOT RELEVANT ON THIS SITE, SO BETTER CONSIDER THIS POST AS NON EXISTENT...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2005, 09:07

Quote (TubularBelle @ Dec. 02 2005, 10:14)
This is very weird this thread appearing after I mentioned Freddie Mercury in another thread very recently. And I apologise to my two friends who have posted.

I promised myself I would not be negative and I said in the other thread that I wouldn't stop listening to Mikes music even if he was a murderer, but I mentioned being 'put off' by what I had heard about Freddie Mercury (being a non-fan). So I ask you this, assuming that what I heard is true of course. How can you admire someone who willfully and deliberately affected young men with
AIDS just because he was mad at the world!!

I did start this topic on 24th November the 14th Anniversary of Freddie's death.

I don't recall hearing anything about Freddie Mercury wilfully giving anyone AIDS, If I did it was probably in some trashy tabloid "newspaper", which I  don't take any notice of, did the info come from those closest to him, I very much doubt it, probably someone trying to make a few extra bucks for themselves IMO.   Yes it seems to happen when someone famous dies someone will try and cash in, by dishing the "dirt".

You would have to be a extremely warped person deliberately and wilfully go and infect anyone with AIDS, to me Freddie Mercury has never come across that way, I can't believe Freddie would intentionally do this.  
What matters to me is that Queen's music has brought pleasure to me as a Queen fan for 21 years.  

Again like the "Why So Negative" thread where some very nasty  words were said about Mike's personal life which I felt went much too far, again to discuss Freddie Mercury's personal life I feel would be going down that rocky road.   Yes I love both the music of Queen and Mike, what Freddie or Mike do/did in their personal lives is of no interest to me, so please let's keep it to discussion of their music.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 02 2005, 10:56

I can't say I know anything much about what Freddie Mercury got up to in the bedroom (apart from going to sleep, presumably), so I can't really comment on the truth behind all of this.

However, unless he either admitted that he was wilfully infecting people with AIDS, or it was proven by a court, I don't feel it's terribly sensible to state it as fact that he did. Ok, so now he's dead, you can't be taken to court for libel over it (you could if he was still alive), but I still don't think it's a good road to go down.
As far as him admitting it goes, a tabloid printing an "I spent a night with Freddie and he told me all" kind of story really doesn't count. They'll print any old rubbish, and they'll pay good money for it. Even the respectable media twist things to fit their agendas.

As for stuff published on the internet...all sorts of trash goes round, and those spreading it usually can't even be found, let alone stopped.

Unless you've got really good evidence, which is backed up by a number of independent sources, you can probably assume that it's just a vicious rumour.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2005, 14:11

...show must go on...

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2005, 22:40

Yeh I understand that wholly and the reason I asked the question was in a more hypothetical way, in that, would it change your opinion of an artist if you found out something like that about them. I don't know when he was diagnosed with AIDS but I was told by a loyal fan of his that he knew he had it a long time before it became public knowledge and continued having unprotected sex with very young men who would be smitten by the star status and therefore be easilly induced into behaving irresponsibly. Anyway, none of my business, I just remember being shocked at the time my friend told me this that it didn't alter her opinion of him in any way. I thought it to be an unhealthy fanatisicm on her part. As I didn't follow Freddie Mercurys career I have no idea really of the kind of man he was, so my sincerest apologies if what I have heard is not correct. I was just more inclined to believe it as it was told to me by a very obsessed and loyal fan of his.

Obviously it is very sad that such a fine talent had his life cut short.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2005, 06:24

@Tracy,there's no need for you to feel you must apologise,though it was very civil of you to do that :)
After all you didn't make any nasty/bitter comment only reacted to information passed on,and rightly or wrongly it had seemed very genuine ATT. I will take part blame on this occasion because truth is,although I did obviously read the other topic at the moment of posting in this one,momentarily forgot about what you'd posted there.
It was only after being moved by the documentary I'd seen the evening before,then by chance came on here & noticed the tribute thread.
Totaly my decision whether or not to comment there wasn't it?
Had I remembered the content of the other topic properly enough,might have been a bit more thoughtfull toward what may follow.
Whatever has gone on in the personal life of an artist,wouldn't alter the way I enjoy the music they've created though as to me music is music,and I don't think about it's creator while listening,only the sounds to be heard & thoughts/feelings that brings :)
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2005, 09:21

Groovey Granny, that's all very true  :)
And nice post, TubularBelle!

One thing we know for certain; he was a great musician  :D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2005, 17:05

After thinking about what Galadriel said in that it could all be just nasty tabloid talk, I don't think I would be compelled to believe it or be affected by it even though it is very serious. Esp if you are a fan of the man himself and while you can never claim to know them on a personal level, I think any sensible adult can form their own opinion of whether they think it is possible or not. I didn't follow Freddies career so I can't form an opinion. As I said, I only believed it at the time because it was told to me by a fan who said it matter of factly and was not bothered by it at all, so it was obviously her attitude that disturbed me more than anything. (and she was calling Michael Jackson a child molester at the time and I felt she was being completely unreasonable, like, if you like their music they can do anything they want, but if you don't, they can't. A case of a fan too obsessed to have any sensible thought process).

On a lighter note, I was going to my sisters house by car 3 hours away several years ago for a party and my friend who was driving was an ex lead singer from a band. I was sitting in the back seat squashed between my two tall sons and it was rather uncomfortable and we were reminded of that scene in Waynes World when they sing Bohemian Rhapsody. Our driver knew ALL the words and led us through it and we sang the whole thing at the top of our voices, twice! Lucky we didn't have an accident. I don't think I ever had so much fun!

Also tonight on tele is some music awards show, I don't usually watch these things because they are mostly pop or rap artists but I noticed in the ad that it is being hosted by Ali G as Borat dressed in tight yellow leotards pretending to be Freddie Mercury which will be funny and worth watching, and it also has the Gorillas on who I just love, and did I see Cold Play too? I think it must be an English show. Has it aired over there yet?

I mentioned this before too so apologies but I was watching a special where Ali G was interviewing Posh and Becks and when  Becks spoke, Ali said to him 'You don't need to talk in a funny voice, I'm the funny one here' (or something like that). Cacked myself I did! I had only ever heard Becks say one word 'Pepsi' until then, but even that one word had me going 'What the.....!' Sorry, I'm picking on Becks now. I'd still jump his bones, just have to tape his mouth shut first!

--------------
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2005, 03:16

I would like to see Ali G as borat as Freddie Mercury :laugh:
- and of course,the music awards show.Do you know what it's called/which award show?

Saw the Ali G Posh & Becks "interview"  some time ago as well,it was hilarious. Wonder what an Ali G or Borat/M.O one would go like :O  :laugh:
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 02:37

Sorry Sandra, didn't see your post until now, it was the European MTV awards, does that mean they have to have a video clip to win an award? The Gorillaz were fabulous with their 'hologram'? alter egos that looked like human sized characters on the stage, cool! Cold Play are pretty crap LIVE though and Robbie Williams has such a squeeky high voice, has he had the chop or something?

--------------
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 04:27

No worries Tracy,perhaps they'll repeat the programme here on sky tv at some stage,and I can see it then.

But as for Robbie Williams with squeaky voice - can't wait to see/hear that :laugh: OK that was a bit cruel,these events are live arne't they? and as with Cold Play,all might not have been well on the night :/
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2006, 19:59

I've found my Freddie Mercury thread that I started last year :cool: , so rather than risking incuring the wrath of the admins for repeating the topic in a new thread I'd revive this one.

Today would have been Freddie's 60th birthday, I'm currently playing A Night At The Opera,in celebration of the anniversary of Freddie's birth.
 :)

Along with Mike I feel that Freddie Mercury was one of music's greatest innovators. Who else could combine Rock, Prog and Glam Rock, with elements of Classical/Opera, and Vaudeville , as in "Seaside Rendevous" and get away with it, not only that make a success of it :cool:.
It appears that Queen seem to be one of those bands people love or hate, there appears to be very little middle ground, I'm wondering what others think about this.
THANK YOU FREDDIE   :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2006, 15:00

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Sep. 05 2006, 00:59)
Today would have been Freddie's 60th birthday, I'm currently playing A Night At The Opera,in celebration of the anniversary of Freddie's birth.

How odd, as I found this thread whilst listening to "The Prophet's Song", a track from the said album. It is such a bizarre song, and that to me is one of Queen's finest qualities in their earlier albums.

I have to say that "A Night at the Opera" is one of Queen's best albums, if not their best, and features some of Freddie's finest works (including the immortal Bohemian Rhapsody), and indeed some classics from the other members in the band (e.g. You're my Best Friend (Deacon), I'm in love with my car (Taylor)).

It is when we reach milestones like this that have passed since Freddie's passing that I really wish I had the opportunity to be listening to his music at a time whilst he was still alive (he died when I was 2 years old, and a few days before my little sister was born). But, it is great to know that he is commemorated by the ground-breaking works he did whilst he was alive, and that people still think his music (and the music from the other members of the band) is still fantastic so many years after they were first written.

So, thank you Moonchildhippy for this thread and praising the works of another brilliant artist as inspirational as Mike Oldfield himself. It is thanks to people like you, that the great man with an immortal spirit will never ever be forgotten.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2006, 18:50

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ Sep. 07 2006, 20:00)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ Sep. 05 2006, 00:59)

How odd, as I found this thread whilst listening to "The Prophet's Song", a track from the said album. It is such a bizarre song, and that to me is one of Queen's finest qualities in their earlier albums.

I have to say that "A Night at the Opera" is one of Queen's best albums, if not their best, and features some of Freddie's finest works (including the immortal Bohemian Rhapsody), and indeed some classics from the other members in the band (e.g. You're my Best Friend (Deacon), I'm in love with my car (Taylor)).

How quaint that you were listening toThe Prophets Song as you found this thread.
Indeed A Night at the Opera, is one of Queen's greatest albums, not only that one of the greatest albums of all time.  I seem to remember going into the HMV shop as a 16 year old with my first pay packet and buying ANATO on good old fashioned LP,which I still have, ( was this really 19 years ago, showing my age here :laugh: ).
Yes I agree there's some classic tracks,don'tforget Brian May's foot stomping acoustic folk of '39.  I think ANATO took me about 3 or 4 listens to really get into it,butof the tracks I hadn't  heard I loved '39 from the  outset  :).

It is when we reach milestones like this that have passed since Freddie's passing that I really wish I had the opportunity to be listening to his music at a time whilst he was still alive (he died when I was 2 years old, and a few days before my little sister was born). But, it is great to know that he is commemorated by the ground-breaking works he did whilst he was alive, and that people still think his music (and the music from the other members of the band) is still fantastic so many years after they were first written.

Despite being of an age group where I can remember seeing Queen on TOTP etc I'm still upset that  get opportunity to see Queen with Freddie.   I'djust turned 15 when Queen played Wembley in July '86 and in August they played their final concert with Freddie.I wanted to go but my parents wouldn't let me,I did think of just making my way to Wembley or Knebworth,but I  gathered I most likely wouldn't have got in without a ticket,  or worse have been picked up by the police and taken home (the possible embarrassment) :O . Still if I had a 15 year old daughter or son planning on doing a similar think I'd be worried.  Not that I have any kids,and I have no desire to change it.
Little did I know trhat Knebworth was to be their final concert with Freddie. I did get to the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.

So, thank you Moonchildhippy for this thread and praising the works of another brilliant artist as inspirational as Mike Oldfield himself. It is thanks to people like you, that the great man with an immortal spirit will never ever be forgotten.

You're welcome Sandheaver,I agree Freddie Mercury is still alive,through his music,his spirit lives on.  Both Mike and Freddie (along with theother members of Queen) were visionaries/great innovators,both Mike and Queen would break rules of what defines rock music. It's a great pity that Mike only seems to be remembered for Tubular Bells,groundbreaking album that it is, when it comes to the music buying public at large,but he  has aloyalfollowing amongst hardcore fans.           :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2006, 13:02

I know it's been said before by lot's of people but, Queen at Live Aid were simply outstanding and they did by any one's standard's the best segment of the show ,Freddie was a sensation and I feel a lot of Queen's anthem's came from that unforgetable performance, real lump's in the throat when one watches it again now.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2006, 15:39

Well i'm old enough but when I was that age they were a bit far out to do anything but watch on top of the pops.

I wonder if Mr Mercury (I cant remember his real name) Howskivist or some thing hungaqrian) ever visited Hergest Ridge.  Probably Not I suppose!  Imagine him walking up Offas's dyke in those closthe he wore. Rather Unusual?!  
But Queen are still one of the most listened too groups in my collection and the Car CD machine has one permenantly installed - all the other are Mr oldfiled  - outch!
Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2006, 19:12

Quote (Ray @ Sep. 08 2006, 20:39)
Well i'm old enough but when I was that age they were a bit far out to do anything but watch on top of the pops.

I wonder if Mr Mercury (I cant remember his real name) Howskivist or some thing hungaqrian) ever visited Hergest Ridge.  Probably Not I suppose!  Imagine him walking up Offas's dyke in those closthe he wore. Rather Unusual?!  
But Queen are still one of the most listened too groups in my collection and the Car CD machine has one permenantly installed - all the other are Mr oldfiled  - outch!
Ray

Freddie Mercury, was born Farookh Bulsara .His parents were Indian Persians, followers of the Parsi (alt spelling Parsee) faith, Freddie Mercury was the most famous Parsi inthe West,if not the world      :).    There's little I don't know about Queen.
For more info on the Parsi faith see here
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsi

That could be quite interesting  Mr Mercury walking up Hergest Ridge, especially in his most flamboyant clothes, I wonder would he dress down for it. You've got my brain working overtime,trying to imagine Mr Mercury purely by chance meeting Mr Oldfield as he was flying his model  gliders on Hergest Ridge, :cool: , I wonder what would have transpired between these two musical luminaries,wow my imagination is running riot here.  

Speaking of Queen I'd like to see Mike and Brian May work together WOW!!!!  :D , but I guess this will remain a figment of my wild imagination.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
27 replies since Nov. 24 2005, 05:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net