Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Four Winds & Outcast< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 26 2001, 18:14

Now which similarities (or differences) can you spot between Four Winds (Guitars) and Outcast (TB3)? -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 26 2001, 22:54

Well, for one thing, they're both similar to Shadow On The Wall, Sunjammer and the corresponding bit from Tubular Bells I...
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2001, 16:06

Oh! Never noticed that! But in my ear, the connection between the two I mentioned is much closer that with the other two (eh... got me?)

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2001, 16:07

...other THREE, sorry.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2001, 21:49

You're right, to such a degree that when I first heard Four Winds I thought he was ripping off himself - which of course is nonsense because self-quotations have always been an important part of his work. (The same is the case with another pair of songs from TBIII/Guitars respectively, but I forget which, I always have difficulties remembering which title belongs to which piece). An obvious difference between the two is that Four Winds lacks the electronics, though.
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2001, 16:03

Interesting, Archangel. I checked it, and maybe you're talking about Cochise and Jewel In The Crown. -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2001, 21:32

That's right, Carsten, that's what I meant.
Uh... and did I write 'songs'? Sorry... wink
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2001, 19:31

Well Amar does sing in JITC and you could say Mike makes the guitar sing in Cochise .... no never mind

the self quoting on these pieces is the most similar out of any that I know of (not counting Taurus 2 with Oribadoo which were both on the same album). At first I thought he was just stuck for ideas, but then I realised the significance of it, both pieces have totally different moods. JITC is a new age, enigma-style, oriental piece wheras Cochise is Mike on his native instrument, and you get the feeling of moving.

Incidentally, don't you think that this track goes the best with the sleve design of the cars (crazily driving on the left side of the road !!). They must have got the idea for the cars when Mike played them Cochise
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2001, 10:25

Hi 2distortedguitars, interesting idea with the cars; never thought about it! Of course, in the UK it would NOT be strange that they drive on the left side. They're also driving in the RIGHT side in some pics. And there are the letters KOD AK..., probably from the original film. Maybe these can help to find out what the original orientation was. But then, maybe not. And maybe it's all unimportant wink
Funny: There are some lines on the road which look like Mike's guitar frets to me!

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Woman in the rain Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 20:42

mm im thinking..
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 20:49

really, the only similarities are in the first part of Four Winds [the north wind] and i don't even think there's that many. i prefer outcast :)

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
10 replies since Jan. 26 2001, 18:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net