Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Four Winds< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
GMOVJ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 10 1999, 10:28

Salut tout le monde,
Hi everyone,

Quelqu'un a-il une idée sur l'ordre des vents dans Four Winds ? NESO ou autre chose ?

Does someone knows what is the order of Winds in Four winds ? North, East then South and West ?

Je sais c'est une question assez stupide mais bon... ;-)
I know this is a very stupid question but... ;-)

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Wojtek Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 1999, 12:17

Hi!
1st - North ("sharp")
2nd - South ("mild")
3rd - East ("oriental")
4th - West ("western theme")
Taken from polish Mike Oldfield Web Site - http://www.oldfield.org.pl/dGUI.html - .
I also saw it in Guitars preview on MO oficcial site - http://www.mikeoldfield.org -
but now i can't find it.
Profile PM 
Burning Fish Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2007, 16:42

Did anybody else notice that the "beats" you hear in Four Winds (around 4:00) sound exactly like the percussion from the end of Ommadawn Part One?

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 03 2007, 17:57

heh ;)
that's true.. Not so far away indeed.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2007, 15:45

Quote (Wojtek @ Dec. 19 1999, 18:17)
Hi!
1st - North ("sharp")
2nd - South ("mild")
3rd - East ("oriental")
4th - West ("western theme")
Taken from polish Mike Oldfield Web Site - TARGET=_blank>http://www.oldfield.org.pl/dGUI.html  - .
I also saw it in Guitars preview on MO oficcial site - TARGET=_blank>http://www.mikeoldfield.org  -
but now i can't find it.

il a raison, ca ce voit qu'il a fait de la recherche  ;)

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 06:19

Went for the beautiful 'Summit Day', one of the most serene and happy songs by Mike.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 26 2008, 02:20

It's occurred to me that if Mike ever does a surf-music album it might sound a little like the "Four Winds"' 'western' section. And I'm all for that.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 26 2008, 09:50

Mike Oldfield - Surfing (for real, this time! )

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 09:03

Oh god no!

Mike goes surf.I'm probably way off the mark but i think either "Wipe Out" or the Beach Boys when someone says surf music.
  There's the sea on the TB cover and Incantations.Can't imagine him surfing though.Interesting cover idea:Reading Girls,Surfing English Welsh Borders etc. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 06 2008, 06:30

Quote (The Caveman @ June 05 2008, 14:03)
Oh god no!

Mike goes surf.I'm probably way off the mark but i think either "Wipe Out" or the Beach Boys when someone says surf music.
  There's the sea on the TB cover and Incantations.Can't imagine him surfing though.Interesting cover idea:Reading Girls,Surfing English Welsh Borders etc. :laugh:

Yeah Wipe Out of course but there was some moodier pieces that came out of that whole Surf scene.Pipeline and Wayward Nile from The Chantays spring to mind for me for instance.Both kind of reminscent of the western section of Four Winds that Sweetpea mentions.And how about Mikey picking up his old geetar and attempting an even more shredded up version of Dick Dale`s Misirlou?..I really wish that blonde on the left would turn round in this clip so I could get a good look at her front ways.I wanna` marry her.. :p

I think I mentioned the possibility of Mike doing some surf guitar music in bassman`s thread regarding Mike doing an album of Shadow`s covers.He`s obviously a big fan of this era of instrumental music with his cover of Wonderful Land.The amount of times he mentions "Flingel Bunt" as one of his favourite tunes.And little referances in his own work like this one here of course.Or maybe that little twangy guitar section from The Lake as well which I always find very uplifting in the context he used it there.See now if Mike maybe tried to relive some of this old stuff through playing it with other musicians etc.He might...yeah well you can guess the rest.All this orchestral stuff is all fine and dandy,but I`m not seeing too many of those blonde chicks on the horizon that`s my problem.After a while I just start reverting to type...Heh heh long live the piltdown man!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 06 2008, 07:48

Dubious still but well reasoned.And i didn't take the name The Caveman for nothing (as well as looking like Capt Caveman).The Piltdown man rocks!!!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 02:06

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 06 2008, 06:30)
Or maybe that little twangy guitar section from The Lake as well which I always find very uplifting in the context he used it there.

I didn't know what you meant, Dirk, so I gave "The Lake" a listen with an ear open for twangyness and, sure enough, there's that guitar part (starts around 2:40) that would sound right at home on a surf-tune. I wish there were another term for it, though.  'Twangy' makes me think of country/western music.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 08:21

Quote (Sweetpea @ June 07 2008, 07:06)
Quote (Dirk Star @ June 06 2008, 06:30)
Or maybe that little twangy guitar section from The Lake as well which I always find very uplifting in the context he used it there.

I didn't know what you meant, Dirk, so I gave "The Lake" a listen with an ear open for twangyness and, sure enough, there's that guitar part (starts around 2:40) that would sound right at home on a surf-tune. I wish there were another term for it, though.  'Twangy' makes me think of country/western music.

Yeah "Twangy" is`nt the best of words is it?It sounds terrible when you say it out loud to yourself.Just try it a few times it`s really quite excruitiating.I`ve even tried putting a question mark on the end of it and I still don`t like it.Anyway it always reminds me of Duane Eddy who released about three million albums with the word Twang or Twangy incorporated into the title of them...The Twang`s The Thang..Twangin` The Guitar Hits..Bridge Over The River Twang etc..Kind of like Mike Oldfield with his whole Tubular fixation but in a purely pop idiom so it`s ok to laugh at it... ;)

A little bit cheesy all that stuff I`ll admit but I like Duane despite his limitations.The Shadows rendition of his hit Shazam for instance completely blows his version out the water.Anyway Mastermind from TMB is another that`s just come to me there.That`s got a kind of Duane Eddy early John Barry thing going on to it.See he loves all that stuff,he is so itching to make a whole album devoted to it it`s untrue.And for a bloke that for the most part of his career has so favoured the high neck of the fretboard it would be an interesting departure for him...Mike Oldfield Surfing The Tubular Twang..Heh heh lets see that baby get to the top of the classical charts.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 09:54

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 07 2008, 13:21)
I like Duane despite his limitations.The Shadows rendition of his hit Shazam for instance completely blows his version out the water.

That's undeniably true, and yet....

I saw Duane when I was 18 or 19 - he came to the university union - a few years past his prime I guess, but I remember sitting there just a few feet away from him, completely awestruck! He had a sort of presence, you know?

Gosh those were the days, and that was the place to be. I saw Little Richard too, that year, and Status Quo when they were still psychedelic. No proper stage, and close enough to shake hands with them. Also that year, I met a guy who'd been a pal of Paul Simon's on his first trip to London, virtually unknown (when he was still engaged to Kathy, of 'Kathy's Song' fame). He taught me how to play 'Kathy's Song', and the Davy Graham piece 'Angie', a la Simon - so I was conscious of getting this stuff at first remove from the Maestro himself. Sigh.

Er, sorry. What was the topic? Nostalgia? Ah, no. Yes, Wonderful Land (Mike doesn't quite match up to the original, for me), and The Rise and Fall of Flingel Bunt. Brilliant stuff.

Oh ... not that? Four Winds, you say? Oops.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 10:27

Quote (Alan D @ June 07 2008, 09:54)
Wonderful Land (Mike doesn't quite match up to the original, for me),

I suppose this should really be in the QE2 forum, but an interesting piece of trivia is that Mike's version of "Wonderful Land" was used back in the eighties as the music accompanying Channel 2 Australia's closing down for the night. It was most effective, and it's a pity they didn't give him any credit (that I could see, anyway).
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 11:16

Quote (Alan D @ June 07 2008, 14:54)
Quote (Dirk Star @ June 07 2008, 13:21)
I like Duane despite his limitations.The Shadows rendition of his hit Shazam for instance completely blows his version out the water.

That's undeniably true, and yet....

I saw Duane when I was 18 or 19 - he came to the university union - a few years past his prime I guess, but I remember sitting there just a few feet away from him, completely awestruck! He had a sort of presence, you know?

Gosh those were the days, and that was the place to be. I saw Little Richard too, that year, and Status Quo when they were still psychedelic. No proper stage, and close enough to shake hands with them. Also that year, I met a guy who'd been a pal of Paul Simon's on his first trip to London, virtually unknown (when he was still engaged to Kathy, of 'Kathy's Song' fame). He taught me how to play 'Kathy's Song', and the Davy Graham piece 'Angie', a la Simon - so I was conscious of getting this stuff at first remove from the Maestro himself. Sigh.

Er, sorry. What was the topic? Nostalgia? Ah, no. Yes, Wonderful Land (Mike doesn't quite match up to the original, for me), and The Rise and Fall of Flingel Bunt. Brilliant stuff.

Oh ... not that? Four Winds, you say? Oops.

Hey if you can play Angie i`m very impressed Alan.I love that track.Is`nt that a Bert Jansch thing originally though?After Davey Graham that is.I know Paul Simon was influenced by him,but I never realised he actually covered it.

And you saw Duane Eddy live,fantastic stuff.He made a great album in the mid-80`s with loads of collaborative tracks from artists such as Jeff Lynne,Paul McCartney,George Harrison,Ry Cooder,James Burton and The Art Of Noise.And it all stayed very true to the Duane Eddy sound you know I absolutely loved that album when I bought it.Duane Eddy always reminds me of a story my dad told me when he stayed in one of those Hi-Di-Hi style holiday camps of the early 60`s.Every morning of that holiday at about seven O` clock or something they played Because They`re Young full blast through the speaker inside his chalet.Man that must have been so ironic.My dad said they tried muffling the speaker with a pillow and stuff,but apparently you could still hear the thing.Needless to say he really hates Duane Eddy to this very day in fact..

Anyway we`re getting blown way off course from the four winds here I must apologise.Can I just say that my favourite part is the bit with the pretendy sitar in it.It`s just got a really nice feel to it I think,very nice.I could do with a little of that summery breeze sitting outside here.I`m absolutely roasting.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 12:26

I'll just reply to this and then I'll stop hijacking this thread - my apologies!!!

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 07 2008, 16:16)
Hey if you can play Angie i`m very impressed Alan.

Well, that was then and this is now, but in any case I was never any good at it Mick. (After a while I stopped fingerpicking and concentrated on using a plectrum and that was much more my sort of thing.)

Is`nt that a Bert Jansch thing originally though?After Davey Graham that is.I know Paul Simon was influenced by him,but I never realised he actually covered it.

Just noticed I'm spelling it wrongly - it should be 'Anji'. (I think everybody was playing it back then.) PS's version was on the 'Sounds of Silence' album; and also a snatch of it it was used to introduce one of the other tracks - 'Somewhere they can't find me', I think.

OK, OK, I'm going. Sorry again for sidetracking this.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 21:02

Without wishing to sound snobbish, I think it sort of denigrates Mike's music to mention all these pop stars, as though he's in the same category as they are. As far as I'm concerned, Mike's best music is up there with the classics, and all those other people are "Elfish Pestly" and "Tweedy Teentwirp"!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 08 2008, 04:21

Quote (nightspore @ June 08 2008, 02:02)
Without wishing to sound snobbish, I think it sort of denigrates Mike's music to mention all these pop stars, as though he's in the same category as they are.

Well strike me on a matchbox and knock me into fits, as my Grandad used to say. A few thoughts in response to this:

1. We know that Mike himself definitely doesn't take that attitude - look back at some of the comments from Dirk Star above, about his own musical tastes.

2. I'd personally back the Shadows' version of Wonderful Land against Mike's, any day, and can't think of any reason at all why the two shouldn't be compared.

3. Mike himself has unleashed quite a lot of pop music (of decidely variable quality) upon the world, thereby surely putting at least a part of himself slap bang in the pop camp and inviting such comparisons.

4. This is Tubular.net. We understand very well that MO is in a league of his own, don't we? I think it would be understood by most of us that no denigration of any kind is intended by such a mix of content. There are some things, surely, we can take for granted - the specialness of Mike Oldfield being one of them. (The reprehensible aspect of my posts lies in the fact that I dragged the thread off topic - not in the other topics I dragged it off to.)

5. Many years ago when I was even more prone to folly than I am now, I used to anguish over whether I was a serious academic scholar or a rock & roller. It was horrible. Then there came a wonderful day when I accepted I was both, and I never looked back after that. So I particularly don't experience a problem in putting Mike Oldfield and Duane Eddy in the same sentence.

However, this thread is about 'Four Winds', and here I am apologising yet again for extending my off-topic tendencies. I am going to go away, listen to Four Winds, and try to return with something to say that's ON topic!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 08 2008, 10:26

Quote (Alan D @ June 08 2008, 04:21)
2. I'd personally back the Shadows' version of Wonderful Land against Mike's, any day, and can't think of any reason at all why the two shouldn't be compared.

One reason is that once you embrace "pop music" as such you've tacitly agreed to suspend the critical facility: all that's important is whether you like the music or not - hence the term "popular". As Frank Zappa once said, "criticism in pop music is redundant". So I'd agree you can like The Shadows' version of "Wonderful Land" more than Mike's; but that it's meaningless, from a pop perspective, to say it's "better". My point was simply that Mike's music is so rich that it's better to discuss it from a more intellectual, "classical" point of view, where objective criteria are in play, than it is to discuss it from a pop point of view, where all that counts is whether you like it (or not, as the case may be). Yes, Mike has written pop songs - but Mozart also wrote some bawdy ballads. And that Mike himself has not distanced himself from a classification as a pop musician is more an indication of the man's modesty than an accurate comment on his music.
Profile PM 
65 replies since Dec. 10 1999, 10:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net