Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: forum map, i get easy lost.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
glasgow_tubular Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 04 2006, 19:28

Does any one have an easy way to remember what threads etc they have posted in? i always look for the wee star but still get confused with so many threads and topics. and envelope colours etc. I feel like a lost sheep  :/ lol

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 05 2006, 07:30

I think that the large number of forums doesn't help.  A while back I sent a long PM to one of the admins regarding the forum setup here, but nothing changed.  It does seem as though there are a lot of forums with similar purposes, many of which don't get many posts.  I'd find it easier to keep track of fewer forums even if they had a lot more posts in them.  But that's just my opinion.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2006, 11:36

The 'New Posts' link at the top will display the newest threads that have been added to. Useful for navigation.
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2006, 14:43

Go to Search on the top right menu. On the Search screen, use the following options.

Search Keywords - Your Username
Type of Search - Member name
Forums - >> All open forums
Search in... - Topic titles and posts (by default)
Search From - This month and newer (Depending on how often do you post, it can be better tu use "This week and newer" or "This year and newer"

This search will allow you to keep track of all your posts. If in the listing the 'Last post' field shows other name than yours, then there are newer responses.

It's this what you want? ;)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2006, 18:37

thanks for the searching tips. Think i might email admin aswell because its just took me about 10 minutes to find this thread  :/  Theres way easier forum setups that are really easy to navigate I just get so lost all the time. Shall try the search thing ta much

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 06 2006, 23:13

Indeed, thanks guys for the tips. Wayfayer gave you really good advice about searching on your user name. You may also be able to track your posts by clicking on the  "track this topic" button at the top and bottom of a topic. I think, anyway, that all members have access to this feature.  I had to turn this off cos I was bombarded with too many notifications.

BTW, last night when I searched using your nickname from  "beginning and new," "glasgow_tubular" netted 26 retrievals at the moment, i.e., topics found. Once your posts start to number in the hundreds or thousands, it will be much more complicated to retrieve everything this way, and you'll have to rely on the notifications, limit the search to "this week or month and newer,"  or those "wee stars" as you call them. :)  I find this challenging, too. I was going to tell Hiawatha, for example, that if he ever were in my area, he should do more than honk at my Amarok license plate if he saw me driving down Rt.61--that I'd gladly take him to dinner. But boggled if I can find the topic where we were discussing such things. :/

Regarding how the Board is organized, it is six of one and half a dozen of the other, and certainly a product of what we're used to. I have spent time visiting other Boards to see how they are organized (even joined one) and am driven totally crazy by most of them.  I don't find it any easier to track topics within limited fora.  Some of them are way too blinky for my tastes and I find it challenging to find the message among all the icons. I haven't found any meaningful diiscussions to the degree that are here, on this Board--well..they're probably meaningful to whomever is engaging in them, but I feel like a complete alien.

Months ago the t.net admins discussed combining some of the fora and actually did that with "lyrics and language." I agree with you that some of the fora are redundant, for example the Q & A. It was a great idea, but in reality people ask questions in Gen Dis and all the other fora, too. That one may be the next to go. We've also discussed other changes. We hope people continue to make suggestions--they are always encouraged. It doesn't mean that we will implement every last one of them, but please know that the administrators are in communication with each other about the ideas presented to us.

Peace,

Inkanta

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2006, 11:59

Haha wee stars  :D  Its the envelopes that get me aswell. if its red or blue or red and open or red an closed or blue and open, or blue and closed, or red/blue with a wee star or red/blue with no star  :/  just NOOOOO too many. i only have a small brain ! The search is pretty easy but didnt think about when I post more it will be harder to track. pfft

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 07 2006, 12:56

Thanks Inkanta.  I am very used to a wide range of message boards using different software, different numbers of forums and so on.  To go to the other end of the scale, if everything went into General Discussion it would be a nightmare to keep track of things.  I've visited boards that only had one forum and it worked for them, but never worked too well for me.  But it does seem as though there are a few forums that are a bit quiet or would actually work better in a different format.  For instance:

Maestro / Tres Lunas subforums - At least they aren't all on the front page, but most of these are very empty.  Do they need to be separated?
News / Tubular.net updates / About these forums - Should these be nearer to the top?  For Tubular.net updates why not just link to the web site?
Gallery - This seems like it would be better suited to a proper image gallery rather than using traditional forums.  Example of a site that does a good job of this: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/gallery/ - Note that the site also has a board.  The gallery is well linked from the board and works much better than a forum-based gallery.
Album forums - These are good but they are the main reason for the board looking so busy, and might be better as subforums.
Live & Videos (5 forums) / Ads / Rumours - Seems like there are very few posts in these forums or they don't get used much.

of course I don't expect any of these changes to happen overnight, they're just suggestions.  I did raise most of these before, but I did have a lot of comments (and still do now!;) and so I didn't get a yes/no response as to whether changes would be made.  Actually, my main reason for posting the comments again is because I wanted to see if anyone else agreed! :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
7 replies since Aug. 04 2006, 19:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net