[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: for those who have the original vinyl< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
pilotfish Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 29 2012, 09:20

hello everyone :-)

i recently bought Ommadawn on vinyl,
(I have all Mike's albums on vinyl from Tubular Bells to Tubular Bells II ;
i saw Songs of Distant Earth on ebay but could not afford the 120£+ price)
some months ago I bought Tubular Bells which sounded wonderful,

but with Ommadawn there's a strange thing happening :

the sound is muffled,I hear the long sounds (like organs,flutes) in full frontal
and nearly everything else is mixed in the back of the very back,
like it was recorded 3km from the microphone
(guitar and percussions on side 1,I have to put my hear on the speaker to hear it !!! )

On side 2 I have the same problem,except that the pipes are in front

does it comes from my vinyl or I am too used to listen to the 2011 mix???

and another question : could it be a quad downmixing (put onto a stereo groove)
from 1976 like on the reissue of hergest ridge after
Mike decided to use the quad mix instead of the original one?

I would like to have your advice before asking a refund to the seller :-D

also i'm 24 but i take good care of my vinyls,i have a spinclean and a good player (sl-q2)
with a grado gold needle,so it can't come from my gear because i have this problem only with Ommadawn

Thanx everyone :-)
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2012, 15:39

I have listened to the original stereo mix on youtube,
it seems it comes from my vinyl...

compared to the last remaster,it's day and night

i'm waiting for the boxed version,just to compare

I understand why people of 50 on this forum were
like teenagers waiting for a justin bieber record when
they announced the complete remix/remaster of Ommadawn !

such a great piece of music with such a bad mix for 35 years...oh dear...
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2012, 20:25

here is what i've heard :

part 1

clearer drums at 5.30

clearer guitar at 8.50

10.21 : more subtle mix between organ,electric guitars,and solo electric guitar

11.30 again you can hear more brightly the voices and difference it from the organ,bright percussions

12.40 strangely the percussions are a bit quieter on the quad mix,perhaps they were mixed too high on the stereo version?

15.00 more bright sound,choir and percussion front,guitar clearer but not too frontal like on the stereo mix (you hear more guitar and less choir on the stereo mix)

16.09 on the stereo mix you hear EVERYTHING mixed at the same level at the back and acoustic guitar more prominent ; what you hear in quad is : 1st acoustic solo 2 many acoustic guitars 3 timpani/perc 4 the rest,I love the quad version because you can differentiate one instrument from another,stereo mix is failed you just hear one big sound in the background and the acoustic guitar in the front

16.25 same but replace the acoustic with an electric guitar

16.30 it's chocking how the stereo mix have all the instruments at the same level of volume,and nonexistent panning (panning is the stereo image) !!! quad version elec guitar front,sides percussions and trumpets,back tympani/bass guitar

16.55 Ommadawn Theme :

stereo

glockenspiel on the right,piano left,bass guitar in some kind of middle,everything else : back

quad

glock middle,synth on the left,second synth with counter theme on the right,tympani back,acoustic guitars back also but different from tympani,piano in the middle

17.05 - 18.24

stereo : same but add the electric guitar in the middle

quad : electric guitar all around you,still clear other instruments,not just everything in the back,powerful acoustic guitars

after 18.24

stereo : bit more powerful

quad : clear but low volume

part 2

around 4.00 quad : stero effect on the tubular bells,on the stereo mix they are in the middle

7.30  quad : clean mix of the pipes

stereo : there's an echo on it !! i think that was this reverb all along part one that ruined the mix

10.00 quad : did you noticed the acoustic guitar on the right and the pipes/flutes(organ?) more prominent on the back

stereo : nothing else...

10.30 quad : there is only one flute to play the theme :-)

pipes on the right,guitar all around

stereo : 3 flutes,left,right and middle right

pipes in the middle and guitar on the right

quad : glockenspiel left+right,flutes in the middle and pipes (organ?) in the background with bass guitars

stereo : bass guitars FRONT , flutes right,glock left+right,

stereo : mandolin : front,perc back

quad : inverted

after that ; mix is nearly the same except that there is no reverb on the quad mix and that the electric guitar is in the middle but at a lower volume than the stereo mix (strangely)

13.30 quad : did you noticed the background vocals? ;-)

stereo : did you noticed you can't hear them? :-D

On Horseback

stereo :

guitars front,voice middle back,glock on the sides,synth middle back
flutes middle

chorus

electric guitars on the sides

chlidren on the back,but more volume than main vocals

quad : during the bridge you hear more clearly the guitars on the sides,flute is still in the middle but lower

children and main vocals are more in front

both version : "i'd rather be on horseback" is low
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2012, 20:26

the shorter reply : i'll go for "boxed" on ebay
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2012, 02:12

eh bien, pour quelqu'un de nouveau sur le forum, tu as fait une sacré ananlyse!

Bien joué

Yannick :)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2012, 06:22

merci :-) ça doit être des restes de mes deux ans en fac musicologie :-D et puis de toute façon il est impossible de se lasser de cette musique !

thank you :-) must be what is left of my years in university of musicology :-D and anyway it's impossible for me to get bored of this music !
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2012, 09:32

Firstly, pilotfish, it's always a delight to welcome new members and contributors to Tubular Net; may you find information and entertainment in equal measure. :)

Secondly, when you see my name up here, it's rarely a precursor to factual expertise.   :/   As devoted as I am to whatshisname, I've always left aquiring his back catalogue to the odd chance Discovery.  I'm also not mcuh of an audiophile and compared to many wise folk hereabouts, I've never taken the time to actually write down and remember useful information about release dates and pressings.

This said, I had a bit of a vinyl weekend just there.  I needed to listen to a sixties LP on Saturday - for another post - so uncovered the record player in the cupboard from its mountain of clothes (which did make for very comfy listening).  I subsequently had one of my random moments: finding a rather splendid 12-inch Guilty in an Oxfam charity shop.  I'm not letting that anywhere near my 24-year-old needle, but as it was out and my other records know what they're in for, I was spinning a few discs as the days passed.  I subsequently saw your first post and gave my Ommadawn what for!  It's got the amended twins on the label so I've always presumed it's relatively original, and has always sounded fabulous to my ears.  I was speculating that a rogue stereo label made its way on to a French quad pressing, before I saw your own efforts to track down the differences.  Oh well - off home for another listen...

And again, welcome!

:)  :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2012, 12:50

thanx for your warm welcome :-)

the LP i've got is an english pressing i think

on the back cover there is nothing just the blue color,and the inner sleeve have the color group photo on one side and the black and white Mike solo photo on the other

here is the label : http://www.lovephotoshop.com/wp-cont....rge.jpg

looks like the original mix,if it has been quad i wouldn't have made this topic :-D
Profile PM 
7 replies since Jan. 29 2012, 09:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net