Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Following the Angels, and I've got Rythm< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 06 2014, 04:30

Following the Angels is becoming one if my favourite tracks on the album (after Man on the Rocks and Dreaming in the Wind). Don't know what it is about the track, it is just so calm, peaceful and I love the sound of the guitar in the solo, just beautiful!

I might be called mad here but I hear similarities to "I've got Rythm" from the Platinum album! Really relaxed pace, some similar sounding chord changes (to me), the sound of the drums, even the choral arrangement. Am I just making up similarities where there are none?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 06 2014, 06:52

ok, there might be some similarities. I Got Rythm is quite nice and well arranged. But I have to admit that I don't like Following The Angels at all. I wouldn't have it included on the album...
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2014, 09:26

The instrumental version is great for practising your guitar soloing to... until Mr Oldfield comes in and blows you off the stage!
Profile PM WEB 
Dude Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2014, 17:12

Am I the only one who considers this track to be the album's highlight? Well, one of them anyway...

--------------
Fortunately I've been adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Profile PM WEB 
cAveMan Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 02:24

Gotta say that this track is the worst piece I ever heard from Oldfield. It's so cheesy and neverending, it makes me press "skip to the next track" every time.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 21 2014, 16:36

Quote (Platinumpty @ Mar. 06 2014, 13:26)
The instrumental version is great for practising your guitar soloing to... until Mr Oldfield comes in and blows you off the stage!

Yay! Just tried this and I am in total agreement. This is a great instrumental to play along with! I was just using a classical guitar and got caught out with the key changes a few times on first go but yep - that was fun!

As you say, when Mike does his bit I kinda have to stop, I still think his guitar solo here is gorgeous :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2014, 19:52

Quote (cAveMan @ Mar. 08 2014, 07:24)
Gotta say that this track is the worst piece I ever heard from Oldfield. It's so cheesy and neverending, it makes me press "skip to the next track" every time.

Take a listen to Tr3s Lunas - That contains some of the poorest music of Mike's career.

Following the Angels is far far better than anything on Tr3s Lunas.

In fact I love the whole of MOTR, the only weak track in my opinion is Irene.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2014, 15:59

Quote (Chrissy @ Mar. 21 2014, 19:52)
Quote (cAveMan @ Mar. 08 2014, 07:24)

Take a listen to Tr3s Lunas - That contains some of the poorest music of Mike's career.

Following the Angels is far far better than anything on Tr3s Lunas.

In fact I love the whole of MOTR, the only weak track in my opinion is Irene.

Nah the title track tr3s lunas is quite a bit better :D

I think castaway, irene, following the angels are very poor tracks.
Chariots, nuclear are absolutely great :)
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: May 29 2014, 11:48

Hmmm, strange to compare these two tunes. FTA simply sounds like about 2 minutes too long for my ears .... but still is not the worst tune I've heard in 2014 so far....  :cool:
even worse IMHO: the whole new Coldplay-album....

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 31 2014, 10:26

I love this song. Mike can't get away from using that belltree/chimes sample for his build-ups and endings, though. I'm surprised he didn't use the ride cymbal hit either.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
9 replies since Mar. 06 2014, 04:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net