Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Floaty Synth Pads< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 08 2022, 16:25

Roland is discontinuing it's Concerto instrument on Roland Cloud, and consequently the instrument is available for free just now. It's basically a sample playback device with Roland-related sample content. It's potentially a huge amount of stuff, so I've been cherry-picking a little.

If you liked the floaty and sweepy pad sounds on Mike's albums from TSODE through to around Tres Lunas (also mid- late 90s albums in general) you might want to check out the Anthology 1993 sample. It's sourced from the Roland JD-990 which is ALL over those albums. "Dawn Sweep" is a preset you'll definitely recognise, but there are lots more.

I'm sure there are some other lovely nuggets in this collection, but this is where I've started because I've covetted a JD-990 for some time but I can't quite justify the secondhand prices.

How to get it:
You'll need a Roland Cloud account. You can sign up for one here.

You will be offered the choice of three paid options for you account but there is a free option too so don’t feel that you have to sign up for a paid account.

Download the Roland Cloud Manager Software

Install the Roland Cloud Manager (you’ll be prompted to accept the licence agreement).

Sign in to Roland Cloud manager

Go to Software and select Discontinued

Here you’ll find 25 sample libraries which you can download for free.

Just don't expect support for this instrument going forwards, because it's been discontinued.
Profile PM 
Mi-D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 09 2022, 10:58

Thank you kindly sir!
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 09 2022, 23:54

Thanks Thea, that's really interesting. The Roland Cloud Manager shows the Anthology 1993 sample as being "unlocked," but who knows how long it will stay that way. Hopefully, Roland won't change their minds and scrap the sample altogether or, even worse, request those who downloaded it to subscribe at some point further down the road.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: July 11 2022, 19:04

Quote (Mi-D @ July 09 2022, 15:58)
Thank you kindly sir!

I'm not a Sir, but I'll take the thanks!
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: July 11 2022, 19:08

Quote (qcfoetus @ July 10 2022, 04:54)
Thanks Thea, that's really interesting. The Roland Cloud Manager shows the Anthology 1993 sample as being "unlocked," but who knows how long it will stay that way. Hopefully, Roland won't change their minds and scrap the sample altogether or, even worse, request those who downloaded it to subscribe at some point further down the road.

I'm hopeful it's an indication that they might do a fully editable virtual version of the JD-990. They already did a virtual JD-800 (and a boutique model as the JD-08), and the 990 is 30 years old next year
Profile PM 
4 replies since July 08 2022, 16:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net