[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Five Miles Out Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 03 2013, 20:45

Quote (spark @ Sep. 03 2013, 12:19)
The only saving grace I got from it was when FMO started a small section of TB1 can be heard at the beginning in the rear channels .

You'd never heard that in the original mix?

Has anyone worked out whether the vocoder at the beginning of FMO is saying "nothingnothingnothingnothingnothingnothing…"? :-)
Profile PM 
Bobby_F Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 04 2013, 08:14

Lost track of the month - and have just ordered this :-).

For the first time used the Amazon Autorip, so I could listen to a bit just now.

Only dipped in to a couple of tracks, then had to stop and come here to post when I heard the Five Miles Out demo...

.... shivers running up and down my spine.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2013, 14:58

Love the  original album remaster and the five miles out demo,gives the song a whole new feel.
I know some are not to keen on the live side,but I found myself playing that one alot over the last couple of days,really like the version of Guilty.
As for the 5.1 mix still unsure,and may take a few plays to get used to that one. As some have said it seems strange how most of the songs have been clipped at the start.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2013, 05:56

Matt ,
Yes Ive had it from when it was first released and the picture single.
Infact on first pressing you could hardly hear it, if you have one take a listen.
Its louder in the 5.1 mix
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 06 2013, 05:16

Quote (spark @ Sep. 05 2013, 10:56)
Matt ,
Yes Ive had it from when it was first released and the picture single.
Infact on first pressing you could hardly hear it, if you have one take a listen.
Its louder in the 5.1 mix

I don't have access to anything that can play vinyl at the moment (and I don't have the picture disc but I do have FMO on vinyl) but I had a listen to the various version in my iTunes.

Whichever mix was on TCMO has it louder than the version on the FMO album - I think it might have been a single remix or something.

I have no idea how many mixes of FMO (the song) are kicking about now.
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2013, 11:34

I just finished listening to Mike's 2013 5.1 Mix of TAURUS 2...

First 17 minutes is absolutely BRILLIANT...

...and then at the 17 minute mark when the LEAD VOCAL is supposed to come in, well basicially it doesn't!!! Either the primary audio for the LEAD VOCAL has somehow been missed off the recording, leaving only the SURROUND echo of the LEAD VOCAL; or the mixing level of the LEAD VOCAL has been incorrectly set to 10% of the volume level it should be... either way IMO the whole track is ruined and not fit for listening to..

...Oh and the start is missing too (as several people have already pointed out)

GUTTED :/
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2013, 08:51

I've been really enjoying the 5.1 mixes of FMO! I hear what you mean about the lead vocal at 17" but I don't actually mind it being set back, I always thought that vocal was a bit in your face anyway :)

Shame the beginning of Orabidoo is chopped off, I like that bit. And the missing bit from the start of Taurus II was just a count in anyway so not the end of the world.

There is a fantastic clarity about the mixing though, it's easy to hear new detail and there's some really fantastic drumming in there too!

All in all, I think it's a better 5.1 remix job than Crises :/ I wont go on about that here though...
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2013, 20:31

Hmm. Regarding the 5.1 mix, can anyone hear something a little odd in Orabidoo at 3m02s in? It sounds to me like some sort of odd bitrate mastering error or something. It's there in both the DTS and Dolby audio tracks. It switches to what sounds like a really low bitrate for a short time then sweeps up again.

Please don't let there be another mastering fiasco :(
Profile PM 
andromeda Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2013, 05:08

Hello Everyone! First (reply) post for me.
Personally, I enjoyed the first disc, especially FMO demo which is really interesting. I agree with what most have put about Disc 2 - intrumentally good but MR was not at her very best (ill?) on this occasion - shame. The 5.1 mix is also a little surprising to me. I know we didn't get one with Platinum, but they seem to differ from the original Stereo versions more and more the further into the back catalog we get. I have not got a problem personally with this, but they are really quite a bit different with different empahasis on different instruments and different sound levels in the mix than we are used to. I can see why some would be disappointed having waited for a 5.1 mix more closely based on the original feel of each track. I found them kind of refreshing and have listened to these more than anything since the set arrived.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2013, 10:49

When I mark the milestones of my time following Mike, it's been easy to forget that Five Miles Out was my first album.  For anyone who might be furrowing their brows as they read that, or crying out: "Liar!", you will indeed find evidence within these forums that The Complete Mike Oldfield was my very first purchase, back in 1986; so FMO heads the studio album list.  1992 saw the next big leap forward with 4 fine, fine cassettes bought, so the significance of the intervening years sometimes fades from my immediate recollection.

As I've said before, part of the reason for that is that I liked Complete so much, and didn't feel a need to explore more.  The greater part was a reluctance to prioritise one artist over others when there was so much other music I felt I should also be buying, and so much else that I spent/wasted my money on.  I did get a few teasing episodes with other examples of Mike's work - the first was a couple of listens to TB as squeezed onto a friend's C-90 tape (which consequently cut out during the guitar noodlings on part 2 - no great loss).  The next was an uncharacteristic borrowing of an LP from my library - I don't remember ever doing it again - and that happened to be Five Miles Out.  In the couple of weeks that it belonged to me, I discovered it to be a pretty decent album, and absorbed it enough to find Taurus II going through my head as I took photos of cars within the Deutsches Museum in Munich.  If not dissatisfaction with the music, a prime reason why I didn't repeat the experience was going away to university soon after that.

There, the opportunity to borrow cassettes from that local library service led me to try Earth Moving at some point in 1989.  Big mistake, and it stopped me from taking the chance on the next two albums that appeared in shops.  But in that meantime, at Woolworths in 1990, a familiar-looking cassette with a budget price caught me at the right time and I was reacquainted with the decentness.

Taurus II - solid, excellent and magical in places.
Family Man - familiar from Complete, still likeable but not essential.
Orabidoo - less substantial than the other long track, but when it caught me in the right mood, absolutely lovely.
Mount Teide - the shadow of the liner notes from Complete have always loomed large in my recollections.  Carl Palmer's presence and drumming on this didn't tantalise me in the least - which meant the live version kicked this one out of any stadium he may have graced.
Five Miles Out - striking, forceful, already a long-term favourite.  I have the impression that I heard it back in 1982.  I wasn't buying any singles back then, others have to take responsibility for its mystifying absence from the Top 40 in the UK.

The cassette player was still going strong in 2000, so last week saw my first upgrade to discs.  My ignorant ears consider the sound quality to be very good.  It's been my fault that I've not heard three of the tracks in full for so many years and I've enjoyed catching up. Bits of Orabidoo have seemed even lovelier, and Taurus II is still my favourite of the long instrumentals in that era.  What's really embarrassing is how much I'd forgotten Waldberg (The Peak), but I guess I only ever thought it to okay to listen to.  The FMO demo is another kettle of fish.  It's an excellent version of a very distinctive song.  I'm not sorry that this one was reformed into the eventual release, bar one aspect; the rhythm of the long outro is much better.

The live bits of the album aren't too bad but will take some getting used to, as these things do.  I haven't always enjoyed Maggie's accompaniments on the live releases so far, but I wouldn't say that they're sub-standard here.  I'm more surprised that Tim Cross misses some of the feeling in Taurus II's lullaby - I could do better and that's really saying something!  Fair dos though, as he helps make this the best version of Tubular Bells in recent releases - my eventual listen to the Crises version notwithstanding.

5.1 is till just a fraction to me.  Whatever effect I get playing the DVD and hearing the sound through my television alone, I've largely enjoyed what I hear.  Better drumming from Carl, at least!  I certainly get that change in emphasis two thirds into Taurus II.  In my opinion, as all of this is of course, the guitar that's been brought to the fore isn't up to the task of being a strong enough counter-melody.  If it had hit heights earlier it might have made it...

Visually, it's a strange one.  Hergest Ridge was excellent, Incantations okay, but there wasn't much to Ommadawn.  There's more going on here from various sources but who couldn't grasp the logic of a single left-to-right pan and scan of the track sheet during the song in question?  And what has it got to do with Mount Teide?!  The spinning picture disc is something to do all right, but I think pinching an impression of the official video for Five Miles Out would only make sense if the original didn't follow straight after in the options.

And lastly, if I had seen the mimed then live performance back in 1982, would I have made the jump to fan status several years earlier.  Umm...

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2013, 04:19

This finally arrived in my far corner of Australia, and... boy am I glad to hear this!

MIKE OLDFIELD: THANKYOU!

Love the unabashed quote from Taurus I after the Deep Deep Sound, it was subliminal the first time which was fine, but it's great to hear it this way.

Mt.Tiede originally had the right amount of Carl Palmer IMO; this version possibly has the wrong amount; but then I never knew it was a volcano.

Very grateful to Mike for spending the time on it anyway.

Very much looking forward to the Crises box set now, and beyond that...

Bring on the heavier, rockier, live sounding mix of Discovery!
Profile PM 
the_elf Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2013, 07:38

Quote (pauken @ Sep. 09 2013, 20:31)
Regarding the 5.1 mix, can anyone hear something a little odd in Orabidoo at 3m02s in?

Oh yes, it's there!! Sounds as if someone puts his cup of coffee on the mastering filter power switch for a while. This is done in a very unmusical way, so it just has to be a mistake....
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2013, 06:46

Quote (the_elf @ Sep. 21 2013, 07:38)
Quote (pauken @ Sep. 09 2013, 20:31)
Regarding the 5.1 mix, can anyone hear something a little odd in Orabidoo at 3m02s in?

Oh yes, it's there!! Sounds as if someone puts his cup of coffee on the mastering filter power switch for a while. This is done in a very unmusical way, so it just has to be a mistake....

I've noticed another one, in Taurus II at 7'12" the bitrate drops briefly again just as the tune repeats with the timpani and whatnot coming in.

I've sent my DVD off to a nearby mastering engineer of repute for his opinion on the matter :)
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2013, 17:56

I've heard the 5.1 and they f*cked up family man (what is this mix???!? sounds like a demo,they forgot the gate reverb on the tomtoms! and normally the song would end on the word "might"...)

and they f*cked up Five Miles Out,clearly,if your hear the vocals without turning up the central speaker,then you must be a dog a horse or some kind of animal that can hear very far away ! except the "You're a prisoner of the dark sky...for the kill" which is normally mixed

and I heard that only by previewing the dvd !

Taurus II is weird in some places (a big timpani bang and then a low mix where not necessary) I will have to check the whole album but it seems :

either the 24tracks tape was missing in some places so they made a mutant mix

or it is a deliberate 2013 "f*ck the old mix" mix

Thank god I have the vinyl and
a good Dobly Prologic II decoder included in my amplifier !

no more badly mixed Oldfield in 5.1 for tonight ,
I think I need a rest before listening to Crises !!

what a butchery...Family Man sounds amateurish with this mix,what a shame !!!

EDIT : I'm happy they retain the original mix for CD1

I have already CD2 as a bootleg but this time I can hear the audience,which is more than enjoyable,what a treat :-) !!! :-) ! missing tracks : airborne/platinum (a killer version is on Platinum Deluxe Edition+a version from Essen 1981 on "the complete")-conflict-ommadawn (part one) (both tracks live on QE2 Deluxe Edition+dvd @Montreux)
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2018, 13:59

The demo version of the "Five Miles Out" track is not worse than the originally released one! I love this heavy sound, perhaps it fits better the topic of the song.

As Mike has said, he went through about 10 different versions and he couldn't get it right! He could release a whole album of different versions of "Five Miles Out"! :laugh:  :laugh:
He spent three days without sleep for this song.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2018, 18:56

Now if it were 100 different versions, 500 Miles Out would have a nice ring to it... pace Proclaimers  :laugh: Not that I'd wish 30 days without sleep on anyone!
Profile PM 
75 replies since June 23 2009, 16:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net