Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Five Miles Out Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 25 2009, 19:53

Quote (Jesse @ June 24 2009, 17:53)
@Nightspore:
We would have to start all our messages with "imo" then. Besides that, you often state your own theories and opinions in a way as if they are facts :)

Nothing wrong with that, we all know you think it is true. No one is going to walk around thinking "oh someone says this cd is bad so it must be true", so no worries there.

Jesse, 1) this is a tu quoque. 2) Please provide examples where I have stated my "own" theories as though they were facts.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 04:47

Quote (Ugo @ June 25 2009, 22:36)

I always saw that piece (Viv's) as a rather clumsy [in my opinion :D] attempt by Mike at walking into the almost-sacred territory (at least for the British) of Monty Python.

Monty Python were very good at what they did Ugo,but they were by no means the fore-runners for that "brand" of humour if you like.Most of python themselves in fact had been around in other guises and tv shows many years previous.One of which "Do Not Adjust Your Set" also featured Viv Stnashall and the Bonzo Dog Band.If you check out some of the earlier Bonzo Dog material you would see what I mean...Shirt 1969 Besides which if you want to be really pedantic people like Spike Milligan and then Peter Cook pre-dated all those guys anyway.And imo were much more naturaly gifted,although often more wildly erratic it has to be said.

I agree Drunken Hornpipe is pretty clumsy.But the way I see it is,I don`t really think it was ever intended to be anything.To me it`s just a bunch of guys goofing around in the studio,and then drunkenly coming to the conclusion that "oh you know what we should put this on the album"..In all honesty I really wish they had done.."Supposedly Virgin decided against the idea didn`t they"..It`s certainly by no means Viv Stanshall`s best work either.But then he was quite obviously three sheets to the wind,and not really giving a toss I suppose.Another one you could file under "wildly erratic" no doubt.He didn`t hang around with Keith Moon for nothing.

Added to all that is the "cool factor" if you like.Viv Stnashall is a pretty cool guy you know.A lot of top writers/comedians today often cite him as great hero of their`s.People like Stephen Fry,Paul Merton,Ade Edmonson etc..To a lot of people he`s like an iconic legend almost.I`ve often thought for instance that Stanshall`s appearance on Tubular Bells may have helped sway John Peel into playing the record in it`s entirety on his radio show.Peel was a massive fan of The Bonzos,and Stanshall would frequently drop in on his show in the latter part of the 70`s.What I would say is,is that it certainly wouldn`t have done it any harm.And imo John Peel`s playing of the album can never be under-estimated in relation to the massive subsequent snowballing success TB became.If they really had to choose between which piece of silliness they couldn`t really justify.Then honestly for me it was a complete no brainer.It had to be "Hornpipe" all the way...Besides which I cannot even bear to listen to old Froggy there,it`s "beyond the cringe" you might say.  ;)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 05:21

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 26 2009, 04:47)
...Besides which I cannot even bear to listen to old Froggy there,it`s "beyond the cringe" you might say.  ;)

Well, I'm glad somebody else has said it!  :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 14:51

Nightspore, reading your messages you come across as if you consider yourself some kind of authority. So it was quite funny to see you reacting to someone stating his opinion in the same way.

The most effective of Mike's music is that where his personal vision comes through in the least crowded way - that is, where there are comparatively few instruments playing at the same time.

isn't much different from
Five Miles Out is the weakest album in a row of three early 80s albums

No need to act like an elitist. But that is just my opinion ;-)
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 14:46

Five Miles Out, in my opinion, (I won't say "humble" anymore since I assume we're all friends here even though we may disagree here and there,) is one of Mike's more strange albums. The title track is a masterpiece, though I wish the female vocals were a bit louder in the overall mix. The stereo effect on this CD is just plain awesome and sounds wonderful cranked!

I never cared for the Hall & Oats version of "Family Man" but I admit to liking Mike's version way more.

I think Five Miles Out is an integral part of Mike's releases and I'm happy to have it in my collection.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 20:58

Quote (Jesse @ June 26 2009, 14:51)

Ha ha - how do you know I'm not genuinely elite?

As Hyacinth Bucket said (mutatis mutandis): "It's so tiresome when people pretend to be superior. It makes it so difficult for those of us who genuinely are."

:D
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 23:27

Quote (dazzler @ June 24 2009, 10:16)
It looks like if I've pushed some buttons here.

Everything I write is based on personal impressions.
I have IMHO stamped all over me ... no other ambitions
than sharing that humble opinion with the other users.
I'm not gonna throw in IMHO every two sentences.

I agree totally! I'd like to think we're all friends in this forum or I wouldn't be spending hours reading everything everyone comments on. We all have various opinions about all of Mike's albums but the fact we can share what we think here is a real blessing, even if we disagree here and there...

The truth is, we're all gathered here because we share a deep love for Mike's music, and it's great we can openly talk about our feelings. Considering we're all different people, I expect to read differing opinions, and I'm also tired of adding "IMHO" to everything I write, fearing I might offend someone with my personal point of view.

Let's all celebrate the fact that somehow, in this this great big world, we've managed to find each other and can share our passions for MO together!

Amen...
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 23:46

Onya Cobber!

:p   :D  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: July 18 2009, 06:51

Quote (nightspore @ July 16 2009, 20:58)
Quote (Jesse @ June 26 2009, 14:51)

Ha ha - how do you know I'm not genuinely elite?

As Hyacinth Bucket said (mutatis mutandis): "It's so tiresome when people pretend to be superior. It makes it so difficult for those of us who genuinely are."

:D

Lol,
I am terribly sorry your highness, I did not realise it was you!

We should make you a special moderator/admin on this forum :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 18 2009, 20:22

Quote (Jesse @ July 18 2009, 06:51)
:D[/quote]
Lol,
I am terribly sorry your highness, I did not realise it was you!

We should make you a special moderator/admin on this forum :)

You are forgiven, my son. Go, and sin no more. Say 10 "Hail, Maggie Reilley's".

:p
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 19 2009, 06:19

Nightspore - I wouldn't have thought that the character, Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) would go down well in Australia : -

Keeping Up Appearances

I kind of like her - her long-suffering wimp of a husband is too cringing. I could never watch Laurel and Hardy - for the same reason - (think the wimpy one is Stan Laurel) :).

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 19 2009, 07:08

Quote (wiga @ July 19 2009, 06:19)
Nightspore - I wouldn't have thought that the character, Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) would go down well in Australia : -

Keeping Up Appearances

I kind of like her - her long-suffering wimp of a husband is more cringing. I could never watch Laurel and Hardy - for the same reason - (think the wimpy one is Stan Laurel) :).

Hi Wiga, yes, the show was and is extremely popular in Oz. I'm rather a fan of Roy Clarke's comedies in general; his humour is very, very dry. Open All Hours was a classic, with the Black Widow's describing herself as a "seasoned gossip" and "a mature person of a sober disposition".
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 12 2012, 18:28

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 24 2009, 01:35)
There's the Royal Wedding Anthem from 1981 as well of course (though it could be argued equally that it belongs with QE2; I think it's more similar to parts of Five Miles Out musically, though).

Royal Wedding Anthem in proper quality would be wonderful, but it probably doesn't exist (a live one-off, I guess). I agree it belongs with FMO musically.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 13 2012, 03:07

Quote (larstangmark @ June 24 2009, 12:40)
There's a demo track called "take one" (or something similiar) with just Mike's guitar and Carl Palmer on drums. It's from the FMO sessions apparently. It's the ultimate edition afterall, so I don't think they should be afraid of scrapping the barrell!

There are only two tracks that evolved out of the jam session Mike did with Carl. Mount Teide and the aforementioned Ready Mix. From your description the latter should be the track you mean.

As for the bonus material to be added I´d go for the first mix of Five Miles Out, that Tom Newman recently released on his Soundcloud. And there were some amazing renditions of Orabidoo on his 1993 live tour.

:)
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 13 2012, 03:55

Quote (manintherain @ June 13 2012, 03:07)
And there were some amazing renditions of Orabidoo on his 1993 live tour.

Veto :-) The 1993 performances are not bad  - the guitar is uplifting - but I need the splendid stuff from 1982 tour :-)

Orabidoo - Tokyo 1982
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 05:54

-testing-

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 05:55

Quote (Ugo @ June 25 2009, 23:36)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 24 2009, 02:08)
[...] though I admit the alarms were set off in my head with the absence of Froggy Went a-Courtin' from the Tubular Bells reissue. I mean, why? Didn't they care that much at all, or did they consider it too "silly"? (though how much sillier it is than The Sailor's Hornpipe?)

[Off topic...]

I always thought that the Drunken Hornpipe was sillier than "Froggy". I always saw that piece (Viv's) as a rather clumsy [in my opinion :D] attempt by Mike at walking into the almost-sacred territory (at least for the British) of Monty Python. And even when he (almost) actually did, 30 years later, it sounded clumsy all the same. At least to me. "Froggy", on the other hand, is a children's rhyme from the 1600s, so it's somewhat bound to be silly. Its silliness is, I think, much more justified than Viv's ramblings. :D

Mandolin!

That's a classic!!!! hehehe

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: June 25 2012, 14:02

Is there a bootleg of Orabidoo live around?
I've heard some people praising it, so I'm hoping there is....
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 21:11

CD 1 complete album + b-sides rarities and demos

CD 2 Live 1982 (cologne?)

in  my most wildest dreams :
DVD Live 1982 in pcm and dts
plus the full album in DTS
Profile PM 
mitch65 Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 13:13

Nah, got to be CD2 live Hammersmith Odeon 1982  :p
Profile PM 
75 replies since June 23 2009, 16:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net