Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Five Miles Out Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dazzler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 23 2009, 16:36

FIVE MILES OUT is one of Mikes early 80s albums.
I wondered how an ultimate rerelease of that album would look like.

Which bonus tracks should be on it?
Should we include lyrics, liner notes and some nice photographs?

TRACKLIST

Taurus II
Family Man
Orabidoo
Mount Teide
Five Miles Out

(Waldberg) The Peak
Mistake
Mount Teide (live)

Not much official bonus tracks on this one.
But I'm really fond of the live version of Mount Teide
that was included on side 4 of the 1985 The Complete compilation.
Five Miles Out is the weakest album in a row of three early 80s albums
when Mike would make a stunning chart come back.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 16:46

Mount teide   Live is Yeah a Top Tk...  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 18:59

Quote (dazzler @ June 23 2009, 16:36)

Thank you for putting me right about this. Foolishly, I enjoyed pieces such as "Taurus 2" more than anything Mike has written. How can I have been so blind? Oh, thank you!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 23 2009, 19:14

Quote (nightspore @ June 23 2009, 23:59)
Quote (dazzler @ June 23 2009, 16:36)

Thank you for putting me right about this. Foolishly, I enjoyed pieces such as "Taurus 2" more than anything Mike has written. How can I have been so blind? Oh, thank you!

dazzler - you've certainly hit the forums with a bang. Welcome to tublar.net! But note not everyone will share your views...

nightspore - be nice please. I am sure we can illuminate dazzler with how many good points there are about this album :) It is cetainly one of my favourites.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 23 2009, 19:35

I certainly think that enough people would disagree that FMO is the weakest of those three albums to prove that it's a matter of taste above all else! I think it tends to get rated as one of his stronger efforts...so best to keep that in mind and make sure personal opinions are presented as that :)

I think a decently written booklet with photographs and lyrics is pretty much essential for any 'deluxe' edition of an album. It would be nice to have something which is really revealing and gives good background information of the album, rather than being just journalistic waffle.

Assuming that releases carry on with a similar pattern to the 70s albums, I'd expect to see a 5.1 mix (which I think could be really good fun if it's done well...), and certainly some less common tracks ought to go in there. Another one to add to the list would be Ready Mix, which was released on the Carl Palmer "Do you wanna play, Carl!" compilation. There's the alternate mix of the song Five Miles Out from The Complete Mike Oldfield too, though if Mike does a new stereo mix of the album anyway (can't say I see a whole lot of point in doing that, it would seem to me to be better to concentrate on the 5.1 mix, but Mike and the record company may have other ideas), that could end up with there being too many alternate mixes of the same song. There's apparently a more 1930s style version of Five Miles Out somewhere too. There's the Royal Wedding Anthem from 1981 as well of course (though it could be argued equally that it belongs with QE2; I think it's more similar to parts of Five Miles Out musically, though).
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 23 2009, 20:08

Quote (nightspore @ June 23 2009, 18:59)

At least I have been luckier than you: I never liked it in first place! :)

(though that only really applies to Taurus II. I enjoy side two quite a lot)

There are a load of non-common 80's songs that Mercury should absolutely put out, though I admit the alarms were set off in my head with the absence of Froggy Went a-Courtin' from the Tubular Bells reissue. I mean, why? Didn't they care that much at all, or did they consider it too "silly"? (though how much sillier it is than The Sailor's Hornpipe?)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 20:30

When I talk about the three early 80s albums
I talk about Five Miles Out, Crises and Discovery.

For me Five Miles Out is the weakest of the three.
Did I write it was a bad album? I don't think so.

As a matter of fact: QE2 is at least as good as Five Miles Out.
I can't see what's wrong in writing down my own impressions.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 01:27

Quote (dazzler @ June 23 2009, 20:30)

What's wrong, cobber, is that you presented an opinion as fact, as though you were some authority, and could see, God-like, what Five Miles Out was really worth. Please add "IMHO".
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 03:03

Well out of those three albums FMO,Crises & Discovery,I`d say Five Miles Out is the one I listen to the most.I wouldn`t say it`s the best or worst,but it`s certainly the one I find most enjoyable and interesting to listen to.Imo I think Mike started to go a little bland after this album.But then that`s partly the fault of the times they were recorded in I guess.

And Korgscrew if there really is a 1930`s version of Five Miles Out I would absolutely love to hear that.I can just imagine an old b&w shot of Mike there,hair slicked back singing into one of those old fashioned microphones..Maggie Reilly as a flapper girl,heh heh.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 03:44

Heya Dazzler - You're refreshing!

I'm not even familiar with all Mike's bonus tracks, (I'm generally inclined towards the instrumentals), but I would like to know more - and you obviously know your stuff  :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 06:40

There's a demo track called "take one" (or something similiar) with just Mike's guitar and Carl Palmer on drums. It's from the FMO sessions apparently. It's the ultimate edition afterall, so I don't think they should be afraid of scrapping the barrell!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 08:45

@Dazzler.Nothing wrong with stating your impression of an album mate but don't state it as fact(for once Nightspore i agree with you....wonders will never cease!!! :laugh: )
 I actaully think it's his best early 80's album by a consideable distance.As for Mike's 'comeback' well yes it did happen but is that a measure of a good album?Amarok did absolutely nothing but a hell of a lot of people like it.And a considearble ammount of people dislike it too before you all jump on me for this. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 10:02

Quote (The Caveman @ June 24 2009, 08:45)
Nothing wrong with stating your impression of an album mate but don't state it as fact

Hey - and you guys never do :D

Think I've read a few statements of facts about TMB :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 24 2009, 10:13

How about as a bonus (maybe download) they knock up a Flight Simulator mission including a G-MOVJ branded Piper Navajo and a trip over the Pyrenees in a thunderstorm!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 10:16

It looks like if I've pushed some buttons here.

Everything I write is based on personal impressions.
I have IMHO stamped all over me ... no other ambitions
than sharing that humble opinion with the other users.
I'm not gonna throw in IMHO every two sentences.

If someone's not allowed to write
that FMO is the weakest of the three (FMO, C, D) early 80s albums,
it means some of the other two should be.

Contesting my "statement" is making one yourself.
One could have replied with: I don't agree ...

Taurus 2 used to be one of my favourite longer pieces.
But in the end it's more cut and paste of (let's not deny)
delicious bits and pieces of music .. very folky which I like.
(IMHO)

Crises and The Lake sound more "organic" to me.
Maybe because they are connected with water in my experience.
The green sea and the blue lake ...
(again: IMHO)

Family Man is one of Mikes most dated early 80s songs.
(read my lips: IMHO)

And I've never been too keen on Orabidoo.
Another cut and paste work, just like every credited
composer wrote his (her) own bit and glued it together.
(that should be: IMHO)

The title song and Mount Teide are my favourites here,
together with Taurus 2 (although I prefer Crises and The Lake).
(Waldberg) The Peak is one of his finest instrumentals.
(and I mean: IMHO)

Just humbly kidding ...

:cool:
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 11:28

Fairy Nuff.Point taken :laugh:

Oh and Wiga i haver said anything about TMB other than i don't like it.Plain and simple.I see it's merits but it's not to my liking.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 16:39

Dazzler has a point about the cut-n-paste factor. I brought this up in another thread (with Taurus II as an example) and was booed out of the forum for a day or so.
However, Wind Chimes has a great "flow" and continouty (is that a word?) but it makes me fall asleep.
I really like the way Orabidoo seems to consist of four totally un-related parts that are presented as one piece. It's like a four course dinner. Would any of them had stood on their own? Would any of them have sounded better on their own?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Unregistered

Posted: June 24 2009, 16:43

Quote (dazzler @ June 24 2009, 16:16)
It looks like if I've pushed some buttons here.

Hi & welcome dazzler,

Don't worry about it, mate    :cool:

I almost always write with humor in here, sometimes with a ironic or sarcastic twist
and I have managed to get a nice bunch of people in here who really hate my guts,
oddly enough most of them females (and a couple of very feminine men)   ;)    (mainly I think they have a hard time understanding my "intentions" of my words, but I´m too stupid and stubborn to change)

There are some very sensitive people in here and once in a while you get bidden, but all in all, it´s a very nice and civilized forum.

Keep posting...you haven't pushed any of my buttons   :D
That changes of course, in the same moment you decide to appreciate MO's "Light & Shade" album..then the gloves comes off   :p
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 17:53

Quote (nightspore @ June 24 2009, 01:27)
Quote (dazzler @ June 23 2009, 20:30)

What's wrong, cobber, is that you presented an opinion as fact, as though you were some authority, and could see, God-like, what Five Miles Out was really worth. Please add "IMHO".

@Nightspore:
We would have to start all our messages with "imo" then. Besides that, you often state your own theories and opinions in a way as if they are facts :)

Nothing wrong with that, we all know you think it is true. No one is going to walk around thinking "oh someone says this cd is bad so it must be true", so no worries there.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 17:36

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 24 2009, 02:08)
[...] though I admit the alarms were set off in my head with the absence of Froggy Went a-Courtin' from the Tubular Bells reissue. I mean, why? Didn't they care that much at all, or did they consider it too "silly"? (though how much sillier it is than The Sailor's Hornpipe?)

[Off topic...]

I always thought that the Drunken Hornpipe was sillier than "Froggy". I always saw that piece (Viv's) as a rather clumsy [in my opinion :D] attempt by Mike at walking into the almost-sacred territory (at least for the British) of Monty Python. And even when he (almost) actually did, 30 years later, it sounded clumsy all the same. At least to me. "Froggy", on the other hand, is a children's rhyme from the 1600s, so it's somewhat bound to be silly. Its silliness is, I think, much more justified than Viv's ramblings. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
75 replies since June 23 2009, 16:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net