Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Five Miles Out and Crises re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Hifiguru Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 05 2013, 09:17

orderebd both vinyls
its odd that there is still qe2 limited edition vinyls in store after over year of release...

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: July 05 2013, 10:01

just orded and paid the deluxe fmo and the big crisesbox. Hell of a lot of money. they better be worth it (but i think they are)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 06 2013, 07:59

This all looks really good to me, lot's of stuff going on in the Oldfield world at the moment :) The Crises box set looks really good.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 06 2013, 13:15

One thing is puzzling for me. On the Universal site there is a description "2013 remaster"placed after every track. If Mike has done a 5.1 remix so are the standard tracks actually only remastered or are they also newely remixed?
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 06 2013, 13:28

Quote (equinoxe @ July 06 2013, 18:15)
If Mike has done a 5.1 remix so are the standard tracks actually only remastered or are they also newely remixed?

I'd say at a guess the only remixing done was for the 5.1 surround
DVD - the original stereo mix is a 2013 remaster - which suits me just fine  :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 06 2013, 13:43

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ July 06 2013, 13:28)
Quote (equinoxe @ July 06 2013, 18:15)
If Mike has done a 5.1 remix so are the standard tracks actually only remastered or are they also newely remixed?

I'd say at a guess the only remixing done was for the 5.1 surround
DVD - the original stereo mix is a 2013 remaster - which suits me just fine  :)

But in cases of Incantations, Platinum and QE2 they haven't multitracks tapes so they couldn't do anything more than remastering of stereo mixes. In cases of TB, HR, O and now Crises and FMO they have full multitracks tapes to make 5.1 remixes. So i'am curious if Mike used those multitracks to make a new standard mixes (so finally it could sound slighlty different like first albums) or he used stereo masters to make only remasters...

Well, in matter of fact i would like to hear FMO as 2013 new remix, because this album always sounded to me very flat, and muffled like TB or HR. TB 2009 remix has been very imroved and has nice, crispy sound that i really like and the same thing would be nice in case od FMO. Crises sounds fine to me as it is now, so no really need new remix. Just my thoughts.
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: July 06 2013, 16:23

I am also disappointed that there is no 2013 REMIX of each album.Usually a 5.1 mix is pulled out of a stereo mix.
And if not it would be very easy to do one from a 5.1 mix.
The only other hope is that there is a stereo 2013 remix on the DVD along with the 5.1
A lot of people do this have both 5.1 and stereo mix so that it can be played on a stereo system, also you get improved bandwith /audio rez. as apposed to CD which is 16 bit.
Lets see.?
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: July 07 2013, 13:09

We know that Mike has the multitracks for both FMO and Crises.  He showed us the individual tracks transfered into the mixer for Crises and mentioned it with FMO.  You have to have the original multi-tracks to accomplish this style of mixing.  

I'm hoping that the guys remixing this decided to turn down the drums at the end of the track Crises and turn up the other instruments, which were always drowned out.  

FMO was always pretty bloody perfect, IMO.  Either way, I'm extremely excited for both releases!!  They are my two favorite albums of the Pop era!!  As soon as it was available on Amazon, and before Caroline posted it to FB, I order the box set for Crises and the Deluxe for FMO.  The best part is the Crises Boxset dropped 12 pounds since ordering :)

September cannot get here soon enough!!  SO MANY GOOD RELEASES that month, including Elton's "The Diving Board."
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: July 08 2013, 07:25

The best part is that with Amazon Auto-rip, already have digital versions with pre-order. I've never had digital version of FMO
Profile PM 
mitch65 Offline

Posted: July 08 2013, 15:00

FMO and Crises are the ones I've been waiting for so long to be re-released. FMO was the first new album of Mikes that I bought back in '82, so I do have a big soft spot for it. The added bonus of FMO and Crises concert footage is a godsend as I saw both.
Thanks to Amazon, September cannot come soon enough  :D
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 08 2013, 21:11

HMV still going here.  I'll leave the Special Editions to chance but I'll probably ask them to order the 30th anniversary effort.  One Crises will remain unopened, and I'm not ruling the box out.  My poor brain!  It's barely got last year's various Platinums in there, and how many Moonlight Shadows is that?!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 09 2013, 05:58

Does anyone knows if the vinyls which are in pre-order at Amazon are the same you can order on Universal's website?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 09 2013, 06:44

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 09 2013, 09:58)
Does anyone knows if the vinyls which are in pre-order at Amazon are the same you can order on Universal's website?

As far as I'm aware, the limited edition coloured ones are only available from Universal, while the ordinary black vinyl ones are available to all dealers. If it's the latter you're after, it'll be the same from Amazon as from Universal.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 09 2013, 11:00

I'm looking for the coloured ones...so I have to stick with Universal's :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: July 09 2013, 11:17

Not expecting to receive anything, but couldn't resist ordering the transparent vinyls. They will go along with my red transparent Blade Runner vinyl:

https://twitter.com/didlybom/status/331124020487524354

Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: July 09 2013, 11:52

so these are first limited editions that are not numbered? all previous ones were numbered...universal getting those limited editions cheaper in every year...it would been awesome to have all new releases in same type box as tb ultimate

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 09 2013, 14:13

Quote (Hifiguru @ July 09 2013, 15:52)
so these are first limited editions that are not numbered? all previous ones were numbered...universal getting those limited editions cheaper in every year...it would been awesome to have all new releases in same type box as tb ultimate

They are numbered, like the previous ones, I just left that info out when I put the post together - sorry!
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 10 2013, 13:19

Quote (mitch65 @ July 08 2013, 15:00)
FMO and Crises are the ones I've been waiting for so long to be re-released. FMO was the first new album of Mikes that I bought back in '82, so I do have a big soft spot for it. The added bonus of FMO and Crises concert footage is a godsend as I saw both.

I must admit, that the most expected album for me of all re-releases series was always FMO (Amarok on the second place! :) ), and i'am waiting for this since the TB has come. FMO has a special feelings to me, because this was the first album of Mikes i ever listened to, back in 80's. On this album, IMHO, Mike achieved the best and most unique solo guitar sound he ever made. So i also can't wait for the September :)

I hope they will add some more high frequences, becuase this album always sounds to me so dim... and i usualy listen to this through equaliser.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: July 10 2013, 16:20

Quote (equinoxe @ July 10 2013, 13:19)
Quote (mitch65 @ July 08 2013, 15:00)

I must admit, that the most expected album for me of all re-releases series was always FMO (Amarok on the second place! :) ), and i'am waiting for this since the TB has come. FMO has a special feelings to me, because this was the first album of Mikes i ever listened to, back in 80's. On this album, IMHO, Mike achieved the best and most unique solo guitar sound he ever made. So i also can't wait for the September :)

I hope they will add some more high frequences, becuase this album always sounds to me so dim... and i usualy listen to this through equaliser.

I certainly do not have the feeling with the Japanese pressing of FMO. Unfortunatelly in some parts they somewhat brought forward synths which are sometimes distracting to be honest. Let's see how the remaster or remix did with that.
Profile PM 
Clodomir Offline

Posted: July 10 2013, 18:14

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 05 2013, 08:59)
Quote (equinoxe @ July 05 2013, 05:34)
Maybe Mike thinks that tracks sounds to strange, and maybe too silly to attach them to the releases?

As far as I know, that's exactly it. Mike's very heavily involved with the whole process, and I know that Mark Powell and his colleagues are very thorough in their archival work (and certainly wouldn't overlook something as obvious as Rite of Man), so you can be fairly certain that omissions like that one are down to Mike not wanting it there.

At the Convention, I asked Tom Newman about Froggy went a-courting. Apparently recording this track was Tom's idea and Mike probably agreed to do it after some pints of Guinness.
I didn't get totally the story behind Don Alfonso (in spite of the recent video with Mike, I have difficulties getting what Mike is saying in general) but it seems it was the same kind of story.
Sally is a different story. But it seems Mike rejects the tracks he did on an impulse he does not anymore recognize as his...
Maybe someone could ask Jeremy Parker about Rite of Man.

I still don't understand why Mike keep this tracks hidden while he has released several times the drunken version of the Sailor's Hornpipe which is of the same kind to me...

--------------
Mike Oldfield - Blog d'une passion
http://www.mike-oldfield.net
Profile PM WEB 
160 replies since July 04 2013, 10:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net