Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Five Miles Out and Crises re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bell Boy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 03 2013, 13:43

OK
Im working my way through the two release.....
Im a little disappointed.....

The 5.1 mix are "different"....and a little strange...Its either artistic choices(fair enough)...or MO's 5.1 mixing system is wrong, as there are some strange level/mix choices.?
But it nice to hear some of his guitar playing so clear.
Though I think that FMO mix is drowned in sooooo much drums and percussion.

Now the LIve CD in the FMO package...
If I was Maggie Reilly I would not be happy...as her voice is shot on this recording...and as the vocal is mixed loud and is the centre of attention on a lot of it...its really awful. She has a cold....surely there must have been something better to release.??????  Also,I have to check this, but it sounds like the whole thing is running fast....or the band played it at breakneck speed..I will check later.

My views on the Crises footage is on the Album section.
Im still gutted....Status Quo has a lot to answer for !!!!!!!

As per usual any MO is better than none....
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 03 2013, 15:18

Quote (Bell Boy @ Sep. 03 2013, 17:43)
Its either artistic choices(fair enough)...or MO's 5.1 mixing system is wrong, as there are some strange level/mix choices.?

I'm wary of being a back seat driver here, and it's certainly difficult to comment without actually sitting in his studio and working with his setup for a while, but there are certainly aspects of his monitoring setup which, from the pictures, appear like they might be less than ideal.

There are things in some of his mixes (like, for example, letting tape hiss continue after an instrument's finished playing, then just chopping it off abruptly) where, if they were done for artistic reasons, I can't begin to imagine what artistic purpose they're supposed to serve!

That said, I think there's also an element of him wanting to give an alternative perspective on the music by bringing new things to the fore...which can work well if it still serves the goal that the rest of the mix is aiming for (it doesn't have to be the same goal as the original necessarily...it just all has to hang together). Generally, I'd say with Mike's music, the elements tend to be there for a reason and, while you can occasionally do things like highlight one over another, if you do something like take Tubular Bells and say "Hey, let's not have any piano at the beginning!" the whole thing starts to not work any more.

I quite enjoyed what he did with Hergest Ridge in terms of bringing new things to the fore, but sometimes I think it really hasn't quite worked out. I've not had a chance to listen to the latest 5.1 mixes yet - it'll be interesting to give them a spin and see what I think, though I have to say I'm not going to hold my hopes up too greatly...
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2013, 16:27

I agree with what you say Sir Korgsrew...
Its all subjective.
Having done a lot of 5.1 mixes, its all down to taste and what your trying to achieve.
For me I just like the way you can separate out all the instruments so you can hear the layers much better, each instrument has its own place. For me ( personally), I just want to hear the MO albums as similar to the originals, but just using the extra space,depth and sonic clarity you can get with Hi Rez DTS 5.1
To do a completely different mix and in places, arrangement, is not for me really.Perhaps as a choice, as you can layer multiple layers of audio and have both available to chose from.
BUT as I say, any MO is welcome.
(Just that the FMO live CD is really not fit for audience consumption and is a waste of disc..... I really feel sorry for Maggie Reilly and I bet MO ears will be burning when she hears it !;)
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 03 2013, 20:43

My Crises boxset has been marked as "Dispatching now" since Sunday night, but I went to an actual store and bought the FMO deluxe on Monday. I quite enjoyed listening to the demo and the live CD – is it me or is this the version of Mount Teidi that was used on TCMO live section?

I don't have a 5.1 system so the surround mixes will just have to wait for now, but I've always been sceptical of stereo mixes re-worked to 5.1 – I like the layers and hidden stuff in stereo mixes and you don't get that as much when you spread a dense stereo mix out into surround format.
Profile PM 
mitch65 Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2013, 02:41

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 03 2013, 20:18)
[quote=Bell Boy,Sep. 03 2013, 17:43]
There are things in some of his mixes (like, for example, letting tape hiss continue after an instrument's finished playing, then just chopping it off abruptly) where, if they were done for artistic reasons, I can't begin to imagine what artistic purpose they're supposed to serve!

I noticed that very thing last night and thought it strange but not off putting as such. Has anyone else noticed that about 2 or 3 seconds before a track starts you can hear it faintly start in the background? bit weird  ;)
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2013, 07:25

He certainly seems to be pushing the boundaries with the surround mixes. As as been said above it's very subjective, and with the possible exceptions of the 5.1 mixes of Taurus III and Moonlight Shadow, MO's emphasis seems to be on technical rather than artistic considerations.
Spark, the technical bias is much more evident on the FMO mixes.
Profile PM 
Bobby_F Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2013, 08:22

Sorry I missed it, but is there any way of getting the 5.1 Crises mix without buying the £60 box set?

Really surprised they'd make it available for FMO but not Crises?
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2013, 13:07

Quote (Bobby_F @ Sep. 04 2013, 08:22)
Sorry I missed it, but is there any way of getting the 5.1 Crises mix without buying the £60 box set?

Really surprised they'd make it available for FMO but not Crises?

Yes, it's strange, why Crises Deluxe Edition hasn't this 5.1 mix included like FMO...
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2013, 14:26

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Sep. 03 2013, 20:43)
My Crises boxset has been marked as "Dispatching now" since Sunday night, but I went to an actual store and bought the FMO deluxe on Monday. I quite enjoyed listening to the demo and the live CD – is it me or is this the version of Mount Teidi that was used on TCMO live section?

I don't have a 5.1 system so the surround mixes will just have to wait for now, but I've always been sceptical of stereo mixes re-worked to 5.1 – I like the layers and hidden stuff in stereo mixes and you don't get that as much when you spread a dense stereo mix out into surround format.

Well, 5.1 mix can change your point of view of the album you know for ages from the standard stereo mixes, bacause it pull out sounds that was always hidden deep in the stereo mix. I was always curious about the technical aspects of the sounds (instruments) of particular albums, which i know for the years, so the 5.1 mixes (especially of the FMO - my favourite of all times album) are closing up this sounds, and i can finally hear "how it was made" :)
Profile PM 
Bobby_F Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2013, 05:24

Quote (equinoxe @ Sep. 04 2013, 14:26)
Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Sep. 03 2013, 20:43)

Well, 5.1 mix can change your point of view of the album you know for ages from the standard stereo mixes, bacause it pull out sounds that was always hidden deep in the stereo mix. I was always curious about the technical aspects of the sounds (instruments) of particular albums, which i know for the years, so the 5.1 mixes (especially of the FMO - my favourite of all times album) are closing up this sounds, and i can finally hear "how it was made" :)

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, which is why £60 for a 5.1 mix of Crises seems a dip too far for an album I've already bought about 8 times :-).
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2013, 06:07

Well he done the same thing as FMO , cut some tracks down.
Whole verse missing on In High Places.
But I do like the 5.1 mix on this much more.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2013, 10:01

I didn't think I was doing wrong by waiting until mid-August to ask HMV to order the box-set.  I never did in the end as the reports of it selling out started appearing.  I've only got my local branch to report on, but I doubt a trip to a city would make a difference.  Some stores tweet pictures of their upcoming releases and one with an LP was as exotic as it got.  I can't see myself being tempted by the escalating prices of the re-sellers, but don't yet have the comfort of knowing that more will appear at the lower price.

Fortunately I have my lifestyle to eke out what I have bought.  Five days in, Five Miles Out disc 1 is still in my laptop, and five minutes max is about as long as I've managed to stay awake when I've tried to do what I used to.  Listening to albums used to be so much easier...

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2013, 10:10

I pre-ordereed the Crises box set from Amazon only last week (having regretted wimping out and opting for the deluxe edition only) and it seems to have gone through.  I think a second run is in progress.

Not sure where you are Cavalier but Amazon.co.uk have a few on offer: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s....x%20set
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Sep. 06 2013, 10:43

Thanks, Platinumpty, but £59.95 and counting is what I'm afraid of!  Currently booking travel for the next few months in other windows so am decidedly waiting for the price to improve before I consider it.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 06 2013, 11:29

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Sep. 06 2013, 14:43)
[...] am decidedly waiting for the price to improve before I consider it.

I'd think if anything, your best bet right now would be to order it from Amazon themselves at £35.47 (I doubt it'll drop much lower than that) and hope for the best. I'll check up to see what the latest is with the additional pressings (like whether they're onto a third run now or still waiting for the second), but it'll probably be Monday before I have an answer. I'd think, though, that Amazon has sufficient clout that if they still have orders coming in, Universal will get some more made.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2013, 11:38

The more I listen the 5:1 tracks the more I think some tracks are previous or demo versions.
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 06 2013, 15:48

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 06 2013, 11:29)
Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Sep. 06 2013, 14:43)
[...] am decidedly waiting for the price to improve before I consider it.

I'd think if anything, your best bet right now would be to order it from Amazon themselves at £35.47 (I doubt it'll drop much lower than that) and hope for the best. I'll check up to see what the latest is with the additional pressings (like whether they're onto a third run now or still waiting for the second), but it'll probably be Monday before I have an answer. I'd think, though, that Amazon has sufficient clout that if they still have orders coming in, Universal will get some more made.

The secret to my success...

That'll do! This improvement suggests Amazon has learned something in the hours since I last looked.  Play and/or it's current vendor is still in entrepreneurial mode - the price reached £66 just there and I'm pretty sure I would have been outlaying less this afternoon. ;)

...is timing!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2013, 04:19

Quote (Nacho @ Sep. 06 2013, 11:38)
The more I listen the 5:1 tracks the more I think some tracks are previous or demo versions.

I think there are some takes not used in the original mixes.
Taurus II/The Deep Deep Sound includes some alternate vocal takes.
The backing vocals on Foreign Affair starting at 2:20 have not been used in the 1983 mix either.

I ripped all single stems from the 5.1 mixes and it is quite interesting to have a deeper insight in the tracks. It's interesting to discover that the backing vocals on Moonlight Shadow are provided by Phil Spalding.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2013, 05:59

Quote (stpaul @ Sep. 07 2013, 10:19)
I ripped all single stems from the 5.1 mixes and it is quite interesting to have a deeper insight in the tracks. It's interesting to discover that the backing vocals on Moonlight Shadow are provided by Phil Spalding.

I did the same, and it's wonderful to discover all these layers!
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2013, 07:11

Quote (stpaul @ Sep. 07 2013, 04:19)
Taurus II/The Deep Deep Sound includes some alternate vocal takes.

I don't think, the part includes alternate vocal takes. It's just the feeling when you hear this vocals so clear for the first time, because it was hidden deep in the stereo mix for all those years :).
I have the same thing with the trumpets part starting at 4:16 which sounds very different to me (compared to the stereo mix), like pre-programmed sequenzer or something instead of hand-played, because chords transitions are very fast and sounds automated. This is very dynamic and dramatic part indeed!

It's amazing how many detailed, barely audible sounds, have an effect on the total sounding of the masterpiece :)
Profile PM 
160 replies since July 04 2013, 10:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net