Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Five Miles Out and Crises re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 10 2013, 19:25

Quote (Clodomir @ July 10 2013, 22:14)
At the Convention, I asked Tom Newman about Froggy went a-courting. Apparently recording this track was Tom's idea and Mike probably agreed to do it after some pints of Guinness.
I didn't get totally the story behind Don Alfonso (in spite of the recent video with Mike, I have difficulties getting what Mike is saying in general) but it seems it was the same kind of story.

What's interesting about that is that it seems Mike was quite proud of it at the time. Les Penning, describing his first meeting with Mike at The Beacon, says the first thing he played Mike was In Dulci Jubilo...the first thing Mike played him was the new recording of Froggy Went a Courting. As I understand it, Les wasn't particularly familiar with Mike's music, so he could have just put on Tubular Bells - interesting that he chose Froggy instead...and interesting how his opinion of it has obviously changed!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 11 2013, 03:51

Quote (Clodomir @ July 10 2013, 22:14)
Maybe someone could ask Jeremy Parker about Rite of Man.

Rite of Man for me it's one of those songs you go after various pints of Guinness at your local pub. With Sally...maybe personal stuff really.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: July 13 2013, 00:24

So I've naively and optimistically attempted to buy 3 vinyls: QE2, FMO, and C. The next day they send me an email telling me QE2 has been cancelled and I can call them if I still want it. I think it's probably that they actually don't have them anymore but keep them on the website for some reason.
Profile PM 
mitch65 Offline

Posted: July 13 2013, 02:29

Quote (Olivier @ July 13 2013, 05:24)
So I've naively and optimistically attempted to buy 3 vinyls: QE2, FMO, and C. The next day they send me an email telling me QE2 has been cancelled and I can call them if I still want it. I think it's probably that they actually don't have them anymore but keep them on the website for some reason.

I see Universal have pulled it from their website now.......

Try What Records, they still have both coloured vinyls in stock :)

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/search.....mit.y=0
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: July 13 2013, 10:22

Quote (mitch65 @ July 12 2013, 23:29)

Oh interesting, so it's not just Universal that sells the colored vinyls.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: July 15 2013, 03:31

Oh yeah and they are cheaper...
Profile PM 
mitch65 Offline

Posted: July 15 2013, 15:42

Quote (Black Bunik @ July 15 2013, 08:31)
Oh yeah and they are cheaper...

:D
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: July 18 2013, 15:16

Quote (equinoxe @ July 05 2013, 08:40)
Quote (Olly @ July 04 2013, 15:42)
Quote (stpaul @ July 04 2013, 14:03)

- Mistake belongs to FMO also it was featured on the Canadian FMO LP

Mistake belongs to Crises because it it was featured on the Canadian CRISES LP not FMO. Believe me. I have them both.

I think, Mistake belongs to FMO era musically. It was released in 1982 as the single along with Waldberg (The Peak) which also comes from that era. It just sounds like FMO track, very simmilar to Family Men, with vocoder vocals and so on. Crises tracks has very different sounding, more open and space'y (Fairlight). I dont know why it appears on the Canadian Crises LP but, maybe it's just a bonus track to make the release more attractive.

Mistake is a strange case, because it was produced with David Hentschel, who worked with Mike in 1980, QE2 sessions. I don't believe Mike called him again 2 years later only to produce this song. It was rescued as a single in August 1982, just to support the live tour, and it ended attached to some of the 1983 Crises editions!
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 19 2013, 09:23

Quote (Nacho @ July 18 2013, 15:16)

Mistake belongs to Crises because it it was featured on the Canadian CRISES LP not FMO. Believe me. I have them both.

I think, Mistake belongs to FMO era musically. It was released in 1982 as the single along with Waldberg (The Peak) which also comes from that era. It just sounds like FMO track, very simmilar to Family Men, with vocoder vocals and so on. Crises tracks has very different sounding, more open and space'y (Fairlight). I dont know why it appears on the Canadian Crises LP but, maybe it's just a bonus track to make the release more attractive.

Mistake is a strange case, because it was produced with David Hentschel, who worked with Mike in 1980, QE2 sessions. I don't believe Mike called him again 2 years later only to produce this song. It was rescued as a single in August 1982, just to support the live tour, and it ended attached to some of the 1983 Crises editions!

So is this possible, that Mistake track is actually one of the firsts (if not first?) track from FMO recording sessions, but droped out from the album later? Curious.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 19 2013, 14:22

Quote (equinoxe @ July 19 2013, 09:23)
Quote (Nacho @ July 18 2013, 15:16)

So is this possible, that Mistake track is actually one of the firsts (if not first?) track from FMO recording sessions, but droped out from the album later? Curious.

When Oldfield appeared on BBC 6:55 Sepcial [1982-07-28] he said that Mistake was finished just the night before.
The performance and the interview will be on Five Miles Out deluxe edition.
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: July 19 2013, 15:26

Quote (stpaul @ July 19 2013, 19:22)
When Oldfield appeared on BBC 6:55 Sepcial [1982-07-28] he said that Mistake was finished just the night before.
The performance and the interview will be on Five Miles Out deluxe edition.

Exactly, looking forward to seeing this perfomance on the DVD. It is not really related to the sessions for Crises.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: July 23 2013, 22:10

Quote (mitch65 @ July 12 2013, 23:29)

Got my vinyls from What Records, expectedly packaged in a tight fitting box. Not a single mark on the sleeves. Seems so simple. I'd have pick another shade of blue for the Platinum vinyl.
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2013, 14:34

Taurus I & II Live from Wembley '83... those tracks alone justifies the deluxe edition for me. Fantastic renditions!
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2013, 07:35

Sorry to arive late to this one.
I love Froggy and all those one-offs. I always think he just rattled them off in a day for some fun!
Back to Froggy though, it sounds lovely and on many ways it's the Oldfield style I love the most. The thoughts of him and his friends in the studio putting together a work of art layer by layer, maybe some beer and cheese to help along the proceedings into the early evening then off to the pub for a few pints.
Portsmouth I can take or leave but in dulci - first class.
Profile PM 
Bobby_F Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2013, 05:09

So am I right in thinking you can get the 5.1 remix of FMO on a 2CD/DVD package but to get the 5.1 remix of Crises you need to buy the kitchen sink package?

Seems a little strange?

The main things, aside from the extras, I buy these albums for (for the 5th time  :p ) are for the 5.1 remixes. I've still not looked/listened to much else of the TB Ultimate boxed set.

Oh well, I guess with a dwindling fan base they need to squeeze as much as they can from our wallets. And with only the hardcore left, open our wallets is exactly what we'll do!
Profile PM 
sEIGu Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2013, 18:28

Thats Good News. Wembley live, that i only own - like most of us? - as a bad rojo? Worth the fee anyway!

And Mike... Please remember to set up 30s Discovery-Box including Viareggio in 2014 :)

--------------
sEIGu
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2013, 16:54

According to Super Deluxe Edition, the Crises box set has sold out - Universal are no longer taking orders, nor are amazon.co.uk ...

Super Deluxe Edition - Facebook
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2013, 17:29

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ Aug. 15 2013, 20:54)
According to Super Deluxe Edition, the Crises box set has sold out - Universal are no longer taking orders, nor are amazon.co.uk ...

I've asked the guys at Universal what the situation is with that (and yes, I also see that Super Deluxe Edition have heard from Universal themselves, but I think they have a different contact to me, who may be less senior...which may or may not make that news less complete! ) - once I hear something, I'll make sure the news is passed on here.

I imagine they'll probably do another run of them. It looks like the demand is there, so I'd think it would be in their best interests...if they need any convincing, you can be sure I'll do my very best!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2013, 11:03

It's been confirmed - they're definitely making more Crises sets, so no cause for alarm!
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2013, 16:35

Quote (Korgscrew @ Aug. 16 2013, 16:03)
It's been confirmed - they're definitely making more Crises sets, so no cause for alarm!

Thanks so much Korgscrew - much appreciated  :)
Profile PM 
160 replies since July 04 2013, 10:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net