Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: First time listening, Took me long enough...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
J1Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 02 2012, 09:00

I have been a fan of Mike Oldfield since I was four, when TBII came out, and have pretty much been listening to him constantly since then. I have waited patiently to listen to certain albums by Oldfield so that I can spend time to listen to them probably, and today was Amarok day.
After hearing so much of Oldfields stuff (Tres Lunas, the TB series, Ommadawn- you know, the classics) I was worried that this album wouldn't be 'Mike' enough for me.
How very wrong I was.
Some people might cringe at the lack of 'cool' in this album (the barn-dancey music as one example) but I personally find it happy, uplifting, and free from social stereotyping. In short, I love it.
The Thatcher speech at the end made me giggle and although I feel like there are, collectively, a few minutes of 'filler' music in there with not much going on, it's worth it to get to the lovely melodic pieces that lie inbetween. I will enjoy listening to this along with my current Oldfield playlist.
Fair assessment, I hope?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 02 2012, 10:23

This was the album that originally got me into Mike's music, and without a doubt it is one of his best. Honest to goodness, I don't hear any filler in it at all. The Thatcher part is controversial around here but I've always liked it and felt it was an integral part of the album.
And Mike has never been very concerned with being 'cool', a lot of his stuff consists of cute folksy melodies etc. I appreciate that quality of standing by your personal tastes and preferences very much, in Mike as well as others.
Profile PM 
J1Star Offline

Posted: April 04 2012, 10:45

I like the Thatcher part. What she says really struck a chord ( >_>) and made me think, but was quickly given a humorous overtone with the whole dancing thing.
Overall, there's a lot of passion and soul in it that, I'm afraid to say, didn't seem to be apparent in Hergest Ridge in my opinion. Each time I listen to Amarok I hear more and more. There isn't a better example of being able to delve into someone else's soul via their music than this, in my opinion.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 04 2012, 14:51

Quote (J1Star @ April 04 2012, 16:45)
Overall, there's a lot of passion and soul in it that, I'm afraid to say, didn't seem to be apparent in Hergest Ridge in my opinion.

Hmm, well, our opinions on that differ then. I find Hergest Ridge to be very passionate and extremely soulful.
Profile PM 
sikejsudjek Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 10:53

Doesn't matter how many times you listen to it, you always find something new. I swear it sounded like he was eating a packet of crisps on one bit I heard this week !

Shame he didn't make more albums like this. Lets hope when he comes to remix it he can be persuaded to make Amarok II.

Mike's music always sounds best to me when he isn't trying to copy some other genre but sticks to what he obviously enjoys playing. No one else on planet earth could have made this album.
Profile PM 
J1Star Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 13:37

I completely agree- the last time I listened (this morning, it's great 'go to work' music) I think I might have heard a cheeky snigger between two sections. Made me smile.

Unfortunately I don't believe MO will be making more albums like this. I believe his music has served it's purpose personally and professionally. Although if he announced another album I'd probably wet my pants with glee.
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2012, 14:32

I bought Amarok at Xmas 1990. It came out during the summer as far as I can remember. I like it but at 60 minutes it's too long. The themes are strong but there is too much filler so it is flawed in my opinion. Again I bought the LP in 2008 and this sounds miles better than the CD as it has better separation and dynamics!
Profile PM WEB 
6 replies since April 02 2012, 09:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net