Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: First part of a 2 albums TB?, Tubular Bells 3< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Drealm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 12 2011, 21:23

The way I see it is that TB 3 sounds like the first part of a planned two-albums Tubular Bells, TB 3 being the first part and TB 4 being the second part.

What makes me think that is two points:

1. The album is like a whole part one, being composed of some different bits with no middle interruption.

2. The album ends with the same riff as the end of the two previous TB's part one.

So, based on that, it seems obvious that we can wait for TB 4 one day or Mike simply abandoned the project, for unknown reasons.

What you guys think of that possibility?
Profile PM 
K.O.W.T Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2011, 00:09

I like your energy, but I don't think anything about it is obvious.  :p

I love TB3. And yes it very much breaks the mould. I have always seen it as being in two parts, though. Part 1 up until the end of Inner Child, then an intermission, then Part 2 from the beginning of Top of the Morning to the end.

I don't think it is part of something bigger that is mimicking the structure of the original, it is simply a different way of recontextualising the original.

TB2 --> Re-constructed
TB3 --> Re-mixed
TB2003 --> Re-recorded

I'd quite like a TB4 that Re-arranges the original themes, and those from 2 and 3 also, for different instruments, tempos, signatures etc. Ever since hearing Mike Oldfield's Single I can't help but think how successful a project like that would be!!
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2011, 07:53

Once I read the programme notes from Horseguards Parade, my interpretation was that Secrets/Far Above the Clouds, (not necessarily in their final form though) was the original end to the "clubby" section that he abandoned to bring in the hotchpotch of other influences to reflect all of Ibiza.  Consequently, the bells that feature near the end of other part ones are present and correct but rearranged to suit the composer's mood.

TB4 may well be inevitable though.  I suspect I'll enjoy it just as much as the rest of them!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2011, 08:17

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Feb. 16 2011, 07:53)
TB4 may well be inevitable though.  I suspect I'll enjoy it just as much as the rest of them!

A member called Ghostmojo did an extremely impressive cover for TB4. See if you can check it out.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 16 2011, 11:39

Wikipedia article for Tubular Bells IV

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2011, 19:48

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 16 2011, 11:39)
Wikipedia article for Tubular Bells IV

Very funny, Sir M!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 12 2011, 21:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net