Lake Constance 8  [19.05%]
Mastermind 3  [7.14%]
Broad Sunlit Uplands 6  [14.29%]
Liberation 2  [4.76%]
Amber Light 3  [7.14%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite track, I mean - no polls on this forum?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
trcanberra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 05:32

Well - mine is The Millenium Bell, this way I get to vote for my 2nd favourite as well  :D
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 12:04

Mine is "The Millennium Bell" as well, so I chose "Pacha mama" as it is the track I listen to the most of the ones listed though I like "Broad Sunlight Upwards" and "Liberation" just as much.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 16:07

Amber Light.  It's the only Millenium Bell track I've heard so it wins by default.  I do like it though.  It actually brought me to tears when I heard it the other night.  But I don't know if that was because of the profound emotion-stirring nature of the track, or just because I was hormonal...
:cool:
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 17:22

Quote (Ebony @ Mar. 07 2008, 16:07)
Amber Light.  It's the only Millenium Bell track I've heard so it wins by default.  I do like it though.  It actually brought me to tears when I heard it the other night.  But I don't know if that was because of the profound emotion-stirring nature of the track, or just because I was hormonal...
:cool:

Maybe a bit of both??   :)
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 19:05

My vote goes to Pacha Mama. I suppose it's one of the most underrated Oldfield tracks. It has such an amazing piano melody with a magical atmosphere! It's an example for Mike's hands automatically playing TB-like motifs and transforming them wonderfully. I also love that tiny eea-eea vocal melody after it, and the whole arrangement is just perfect.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 20:50

Quote (trcanberra @ Mar. 07 2008, 22:22)
Maybe a bit of both??   :)

More than likely!

I'd kind of put TMB at the "least important" end of the albums I've got left to get, but I'm thinking I should upgrade it's status slightly.  Even if the album as a whole isn't brilliant, it seems like there's some shiny tracks that I'm missing out on.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 21:23

I think about half the album is great, and the rest is never less than really good, but I really love "Sunlight Shining Through Cloud".  A clever blending of 2 ideas and it really moves nicely, working it's way to a joyous climax.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 03:21

Yay! A new poll!

The excellence that is "Pacha Mama" evokes a sublimity reminiscent to The Songs of Distant Earth. I believe it was Blue Dolphin who once said "I especially like the "Eea eea". Just lovely how it goes! Eea eea eea (lower chord) eea eea eaa (same chord) eea eea eaa (and a lovely higer chord!;) Eea! Eea! Eea! Eea! I will be singing Eea for the rest of my life!".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 04:28

Quote (Sweetpea @ Mar. 09 2008, 03:21)
Yay! A new poll!

The excellence that is "Pacha Mama" evokes a sublimity reminiscent to The Songs of Distant Earth. I believe it was Blue Dolphin who once said "I especially like the "Eea eea". Just lovely how it goes! Eea eea eea (lower chord) eea eea eaa (same chord) eea eea eaa (and a lovely higer chord!;) Eea! Eea! Eea! Eea! I will be singing Eea for the rest of my life!".

As I said - I was amazed we had a forum with no poll  :)

Looks like the "saxy mama" is in the lead - my 2nd vote was Lake Constance.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 05:12

Ahh these polls. They're pointless, but some how I can't resist. Each time I find my self torn between two, as it is always down to mood isn't it?

So I always use the desert island technique. I can only have one, so which would it be?

Sadly Pacha Mama see-saws its way to the bottom of the ocean. You can almost hear the fading voices of the song as it goes further into the depths.

And I am left sat cross legged on my lonely beach clutching my copy of Broad Sunlit Uplands.

Now where the hell is the CD player?

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 07:19

It took me a long time to appreciate this album, about 3 years. But now it's in the car multi-player most weeks and a good wheel tapping album it is.

I went for "sunlight shining" because it's the one that tends to lift my heart the most.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 08:17

My vote went to "The Dodgy Palace". As someone pointed out (Ugo, I think), this track sounds almost exactly like Rondó Veneziano, and I used to be a big fan of theirs as a child, so this one brings back some fond memories for me. Overall I'm not a big fan of this album, several of the tracks are nice but none is particularly great (including Doge's Palace), and I find the production somewhat offputting.

Something I've sometimes fantasized about is a version of Doge's Palace that combines all the best elements of the normal version (the choir), the Millennium Bell reprise (solo and, perhaps, the more energetic drums), and the Acetate version (flutes). But as we say in German, "Das Leben ist kein Wunschkonzert". :)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 12:39

I plumped for Lake Constance, although when I last played it (a few days ago) I enjoyed it less than usual, finding it a bit forced and contrived, perhaps - though I'm not even sure what I mean by that.

The impact of the entire album is very mood-dependent, I find. It's never been a favourite, though if I'm in the right mood I can certainly enjoy it. I far prefer the live Berlin show, for which the album formed the basis.
Profile PM 
Modeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 18:05

"Lake Constance" got my vote, pieces like that are the reason we have orchestras. :D

I also like "The Doge's Palace" as a close second. I purposely held off buying The Millennium Bell for a long time, something told me it would be a disappointment after the greatness of TB III. I was bloody stupid to do that...

--------------
Doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop
A-doodily doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop

Man, they don't write songs like that any more...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 00:19

I voted for "Amber Light", but it was a tossup between it, "Peace on Earth", and "Santa Maria". I can't believe the last two didn't get any votes!! They're among my all-timefavourite Mike Oldfield pieces! I can't listen to "Pacha Mama" (I keep thinking the words are "what a sexy woman") or "The Doge's Palace".
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 03:30

Quote (nightspore @ April 05 2008, 00:19)
I voted for "Amber Light", but it was a tossup between it, "Peace on Earth", and "Santa Maria". I can't believe the last two didn't get any votes!! They're among my all-timefavourite Mike Oldfield pieces! I can't listen to "Pacha Mama" (I keep thinking the words are "what a sexy woman") or "The Doge's Palace".

I guess it just goes to show that MB is a better album than it sometimes gets credit for.  I like those two tracks as well.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 05 2008, 14:55

My favourite is "Sunlight Shining Through Cloud" - without it, the album would have been simply bad, not this atrocity I cherish every day. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 11:36

Sir Mustapha !!.... :(

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 13:48

Well mine is Mil-len-ni-um Bell !!

Where is Millennium Bell on the list , track 11 has been missed off ?

--------------
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 16:17

... And for 'Orchestrated Mike Oldfield' at his authentic best it's got to be Lake Constance, a beautiful piece of work.

--------------
Profile PM 
77 replies since Mar. 07 2008, 05:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net