Lake Constance 8  [19.05%]
Mastermind 3  [7.14%]
Broad Sunlit Uplands 6  [14.29%]
Liberation 2  [4.76%]
Amber Light 3  [7.14%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite track, I mean - no polls on this forum?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 05 2008, 18:07

Pacha Mama is the only track I like on this forgetable album Mike has ever made  :/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 06 2008, 05:58

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 05 2008, 18:07)
Pacha Mama is the only track I like on this forgetable album Mike has ever made  :/

Oh Tati, not you as well, not even Lake Constance ?   ;)

Today in Great Britain it's a beautiful sunny day, and we don't get many. Nature is in full swing and the blossom is pink and blooming, what better way to celebrate than with the Romantic Lake Constance on your headphones.   :)

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 08 2008, 04:50

In the recent "order your albums by preference" this one ended up at the bottom of my list. However that doesn't mean I don't like any of the tracks so I've been giving it another listen recently.

I voted for Lake Constance. Interesting to listen to it again after listening to MOTS recently. I wonder who did the orchestration on Lake Constance, it doesn't seem to be listed on the sleeve notes?

Other good bits for me were
  • Peace on Earth, a sweet and appropriate start to the album.
  • The way the sound of the vocals changes during Sunlight shining through the clouds (from a processed sound speaking "and I" to the lovely clarity of "want to feel sun on my face". Works well and makes me think of imprisoned slaves for the processed sound vs. freedom for the clarity, I imagine that was the intention.
  • The final summary track, most of which is a bit too "thump thump" for my tastes, when he layers the chorus of "Sunlight shining through the clouds" over the theme of Lake Constance - very nice!
Still stays at the bottom of my list mind you....

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 16:32

Quote (Matt @ May 08 2008, 04:50)
  • The way the sound of the vocals changes during Sunlight shining through the clouds (from a processed sound speaking "and I" to the lovely clarity of "want to feel sun on my face". Works well and makes me think of imprisoned slaves for the processed sound vs. freedom for the clarity, I imagine that was the intention.

• Warms my heart Matt you giving MB careful consideration and 2nd hearing there.

You have articulated something for me there with Sunlight Shining Through the Clouds....very true. I can hear it in my head now, the distinction between 'and I' and 'want to feel sun on my face....

But gutted that it's still in your last placing    :/

Need to get those lists back up and running.......

--------------
    Profile PM 
    Matt Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 18:22

Quote (Tayniee @ May 08 2008, 21:32)
  • You have articulated something for me there with Sunlight Shining Through the Clouds....very true. I can hear it in my head now, the distinction between 'and I' and 'want to feel sun on my face....

Yes, like a claustrophobic sound then turning into a much more open sound. Anyone else agree?

But gutted that it's still in your last placing    :/

Don't be upset, it might be bottom in my list of Mikes albums but that still puts it much higher than many other non-Mike albums!

--------------
    "I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
    Profile PM 
    Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
    Posted: May 08 2008, 20:13

Quote (Matt @ May 08 2008, 18:22)
    Yes, like a claustrophobic sound then turning into a much more open sound. Anyone else agree?

Sort of. I see the distinction between the vomit inducing and the cringe worthy.

I may sound exaggeratedly nasty here, but it's true; the "spoken" voice on that track is one of the worst things I've ever heard in recorded music, and that includes everything I've heard by Creed.

--------------
    Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
    Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
    Profile PM WEB 
    Bassman Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 21:20

Knock it off, Sir M.  If you want to express your loathing, start a new thread.
    Profile PM 
    Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 22:16

Quote (Bassman @ May 08 2008, 21:20)
    Knock it off, Sir M.  If you want to express your loathing, start a new thread.

I'm not expressing my loathing - I'm following the discussion! I know that not even a thousand loathing threads could do this album justice, but that's not what I'm up to here. :)

--------------
    Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
    Profile PM WEB 
    Bassman Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 00:41

The discussion is "What's your favorite Millenium Bell track?", and if you have nothing positive to contribute, then expressing your dislike of it only serves to subvert the purpose of the thread, and minimizes the feelings of others.  I understand that you usually couch your opinions in humour, but some may not always find it funny.
    Profile PM 
    Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 00:58

So many dangers toils and snares
    I have already come
    Tis grace, has brought me safe thus far
    And grace will lead me home

And I... I....

--------------
    Profile PM 
    Bassman Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 01:06

:)  :)  :)
    Profile PM 
    Matt Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 04:59

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 09 2008, 01:13)
    I may sound exaggeratedly nasty here, but it's true; the "spoken" voice on that track is one of the worst things I've ever heard in recorded music, and that includes everything I've heard by Creed.

:D Guess you don't like it much then. But really, the "worst thing ever"? Do you prefer Maggie on Amarok? How about the spoken voice in To Be Free?  Is it the fact that it is spoken, the words spoken or the processed voice that grates for you?

On topic, is there any track on TMB that you *do* like? At all? Even a teensy weensy wee bit?

--------------
    Profile PM 
    Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 08:40

Quote (Bassman @ May 09 2008, 00:41)
    The discussion is "What's your favorite Millenium Bell track?", and if you have nothing positive to contribute, then expressing your dislike of it only serves to subvert the purpose of the thread, and minimizes the feelings of others.

The proposition of the thread doesn't specify positive feelings; it asks for the favourite track, and I did name my favourite track. As for minimising the feelings of others, well, in that case, this thread minimises my feelings - and there's plenty of negativity expressed on the threads of albums I like, e.g. Heaven's Open, Tubular Bells, Amarok, which minimise my feelings as well. But if I were to get upset by that, I'd go nuts...

Guess you don't like it much then. But really, the "worst thing ever"? Do you prefer Maggie on Amarok? How about the spoken voice in To Be Free?  Is it the fact that it is spoken, the words spoken or the processed voice that grates for you?

Maggie Thatcher: humourous, and totally consonant with the mood of the album. I personally love it. Speech in To Be Free: cheesy, but not offensive, and I'm not a big fan of the song anyway. Speech in Sunlight Shining Through Cloud: physically irritating, and, in my opinion, does not deliver what the song originally intended; whatever Mike wanted it to sound like, Pepsi sounds like she's about to throw up. And that goes for the singing as well.

As for the positive side of the album, to be honest, I think the "not bad" songs are so nondescript that they end up making things worse. But I don't have anything directly against Liberation and Amber Light.

--------------
    Profile PM WEB 
    Matt Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 09:08

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 09 2008, 13:40)
    Speech in Sunlight Shining Through Cloud: physically irritating, and, in my opinion, does not deliver what the song originally intended; whatever Mike wanted it to sound like, Pepsi sounds like she's about to throw up. And that goes for the singing as well.

Personal taste is often what these things boil down to. I feel the talking/singing does achieve what I think Mike intended.

BTW, the discography lists "Martay/Pepsi" for Vocals so I imagine one of them (Martay?) was talking and the other singing? Both obviously very hung over and suffering from a dodgy kebab the night before if we are to believe you...

--------------
    Profile PM 
    Bassman Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 10:40

"Favorite", by it's very definition, implies a positive reaction-"what makes you feel good?".  If one says that a piece of music makes them want to "vomit" or "cringe", then the negative implication is fairly explicit.  It would be a lot more mature to one to simply say they don't like it, without having to resort to such offensive phrases.

Sir M, if you want to discuss semantics, then we can do it in private.  It should be kept off the board.
    Profile PM 
    Alan D Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 11:57

One of the things we're usually very good at on this forum is self-moderating our discussions, but it's weird how one or two particular topics - and Millennium Bell is certainly one of them - have a tendency to spiral out of control. (I know, I know - I've been there, done it myself, and Sir M and I ended up covered in custard pie. The evidence is still around, somewhere.)

But it would be horrible if it were to happen yet again. Maybe we could just walk away from the 'vomit or cringe?' debate for the sake of keeping the peace - do you think?
    Profile PM 
    summer Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 12:08

You know what makes me vomit and cringe......A footprint in smeared dog poo on the pavement. Eurgh Gross! +o(

Is Mike Oldfield as bad as that?????
    Profile PM 
    summer Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 12:13

p.s. +o( is a face of someone gagging. I used it to represent myself when faced with dog poo predicament.
    Profile PM 
    Bassman Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 19:05

Slight thread-jack here:

Yeah, I wish this board had a smiley for vomiting.  There's so much that can be summed up in that one simple visual.  Plus it also tends to keep things light.  I've seen it on other boards and it always gives me a laugh.

:)
    Profile PM 
    Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 11 2008, 01:24

• Back on track;

I continue to be intrigued by the views on MB, and to what extent such views might be constrained.

Matt you were talking about Sunlight Shining Through the Clouds, and for me this is a song of endurance and courage.   Mike Oldfield's version is far more powerful than Amazing Grace sang as a hymn in church. I thought so when I first heard it in 1999 and still do. I also particularly like the drum and bass running through.

--------------
    Profile PM 
    77 replies since Mar. 07 2008, 05:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
    Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
    Mike Oldfield Tubular.net