Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite non-album pieces, A CD for my own use< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 16 2008, 22:48

I've just put together a CD of my favourite MO non-album pieces. It contains (in no particular order):

1. Wreckorder Rondo
2. Afghan
3. Legend
4. Vivaldi Concerto in C
5. Mike's Reel
6. Indian Lake
7. The Spectral Army
8. The Song of the Boat Men
9. Cook's Tune
10.Jungle Gardenia
11.The Peak
12.Pres de Toi

How does this compare with others' "Best of" CD ideas?
Profile PM 
Ciderginaspro Offline

Posted: July 17 2008, 02:44

hi,
it sounds good !
that a nice "best of".

For myself I've made my own compilation with :

In High Places
Daydream
No Dream
Five Miles Out
Mount Teidi
Blue Night
Flying Start
Holy (Alternate Version)
Heaven's Open
Let There Be Light
Only Time Will Tell
Tubular Bells III (Excerpt)
Caveman (Tubular Bells 2003)
Far Above The Clouds
Tricks Of The Light
Discovery
Saved By A Bell
Talk About Your Life

have a nice day !!  :)
Claire
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: July 17 2008, 15:41

A juicy topic.  Here's my picks:

01) Froggy Went A-Courting
02) Don Alfonso (Long Version)
03) Argiers
04) First Excursion
05) Pipe Tune
06) Wreckorder Wrondo
07) Guilty (cheesy, but still fun)
08) Blue Peter (the so-called "Dutch Mix")
09) Sally (yeah, I know... was ON an album, but it now ISN'T, so there you go)
10) Ready Mix
11) Rite Of Man
12) Crime Of Passion
13) Jungle Gardenia
14) In The Pool
15) Pictures In The Dark (Long Version)
16) The Trap
17) Shine
18) Music For The Video Wall
19) Mike's Reel
20) Moonlight Stroll
21) Cook's Tune

Without gaps, it fits on a disc just a hair's breadth under 80 minutes.  Honourable mentions:

01) Afghan
02) Cuckoo Song
03) In Dulci Jubilo (either version)
04) The William Tell Overture
05) Holy (Instrumental Version) (actually a very cool little bass line in there!)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 05:20

"Ommadawn Part One" (live 1999)
"Jungle Gardenia"
"Platinum Part 4" (live)
"Lakme"
"Art In Heaven" (studio version)
"In The Pool"
"Indian Lake"
"Solar System"
"Tubular Bells 2003 - Introduction" (video version)
"Punkadiddle" (live)
"Early Stages"
"Froggy Went A-Courting"
"Vivaldi Concerto in C"
"Polka" (live)
"Cook's Tune"
"Guilty" (live)
"Mike's Reel"

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 09:10

Quote (Bassman @ July 17 2008, 15:41)
A juicy topic.

Agreed, Bassman. It looks as though "Jungle Gardenia", "Mike's Reel", and "Cook's Tune" are shaping up to be favourites. It would be interesting if all active members could create a list, and then get the results statistically processed in some way.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 09:13

Quote (Bassman @ July 17 2008, 15:41)
02) Cuckoo Song

Bassman, have you heard the original Praetorius suite that "Cuckoo Song" came from? It's well worth seeking out (I have it only on LP, unfortunately, and my current turntable doesn't have a USB, otherwise I'd offer to do you a copy); and the other movements are actually a lot more fun than the one that gave rise to "Cuckoo".
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 18 2008, 09:30

I haven't got the list of tracks and their respective length here, so I can't make an accurate playlist. But I can name what I'd imagine as a "favourites" playlist:

1) Froggy Went a-Courtin'
2) Crime of Passion
3) Guilty (extended)
4) In Dulci Jubilo
5) In the Pool
6) Argiers
7) Jungle Gardenia
8) The Path
9) Portsmouth
10) Pictures in the Dark (extended)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 12:43

Hmmmm let me see....

1)Mike Oldfield's Single (theme from TB)
2)Froggy....
3)Argiers
4)William Tell Overture
5)Polka (Live)
6)The Path
7)Forst Excursion (natch)
8)Afghan
9)Pictures In The Dark (extended)
10)Legends
11)To France (extended)
12)Cuckoo Song

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 12:45

Oops i forgot...

13)Jungle Gardenia
14)Shadow on the wall (extended)
15)Waldberg (the Peak)

I'm sure there's tons more i'd want if i sat down to compile it though.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 16:40

Heh.  I'm surprised I don't see more "oops"es here.  Usually one thinks of a couple more choices 5 minutes after walking away from the computer.  I confess I hit the edit button 4 times in a 10 minute period.  Bad form on my part.  Edit button abuse.   :laugh:

I've been pondering over how many "rarities" are not really that rare any more.  There are already so many compilations that keep recycling the tried and true combinations of "Portsmouth", "In Dulci Jubilo", and "William Tell Overture" (maybe a few others).  The only comp that came close was "The Platinum Collection" for deigning to include some extended remixes.  But that paled in comparison to "The Comprehensive Collection Of Singles And Rarities".  It's absolutely pathetic that a fan-made collection so completely trumps what a major label can do.  They really are just a gaggle of insipid "suits", aren't they?  We should all rise up and storm their gates.  See for ourselves what other tasty bits are squirrelled away in the vaults!  I so wish that a company like Rhino or Castle would inherit all the Virgin material.

But, I've said all this before...   :/

Please folks, continue with the lists!  Banzai!

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 20:36

So far, then, "Jungle Gardenia" is the single most popular non-album MO track: it appears on all but one list.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 21:36

Hmm, well off the top of my head I can think of:

In Dulci Jubilo
Argiers
Polka (live)
In the Pool
Afghan
Silent Night
The Song of the Boat Men

And most of all the Art in Heaven music from the Berlin 2000 DVD.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 22:36

First Excursion
Argiers
In Dulci Jublio
The Path
Jungle Gardenia
Mike`s Reel
In The Pool
Pipe Tune
Guilty
Indian Lake
Afghan
Pictures In The Dark
Song Of The Boat Men
Cook`s Tune

Added to that I would have to have the following three tracks I downloaded from Tubular net here.That were made/performed/remixed by fans...All of which are imo truly awesome..

Knebular 3
Songs Of Hergest Ridge
Jungle Gardenia(musicaly inspired extended version)

The only reason I did`nt include any of the extra Tres Lunas/Maestro music.Is that there`s just so much of it really I`d have to keep it all on seperate discs.Plus I know it`s not everyones cup of tea here but I`d probably have to have another disc with my favourite versions of those 90`s dance remixes that came out..Far Above The Clouds/Moonshine/Let There Be Light/Women Of Ireland/Sentinel etc..
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 19 2008, 05:59

Quote (Dirk Star @ July 18 2008, 22:36)
The only reason I did`nt include any of the extra Tres Lunas/Maestro music.Is that there`s just so much of it really I`d have to keep it all on seperate discs

Yes, when I compiled my list it was short pieces unconnected to anything else that I had in mind. That would disqualify the Maestro and Tres Lunas pieces. (Otherwise I would certainly have included "Moonlight Stroll", "Rebirth Tube" and the music that plays in Maestro when you get to become Maestro.)
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: July 19 2008, 11:41

I agree with what you guys are saying, but I figured I'd make an exception for "Moonlight Stroll" because firstly, it's such a brief piece and, secondly, it fit the criteria by virtue of having never been commercially released on an album (vinyl or otherwise).  But you're right... there's so much more material if you include the games.  I guess I tend to think of the game music as it's own little genre.  "Offshoots", if you will, of official albums.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 20 2008, 22:58

Sweetpea's addition of "Lakme" made me realise I had listened to this only once. It's much better than I thought, and it's interesting to speculate whether Mike heard, say, a trance version of "Moonlight Shadow", which is under discussion in another thread, liked it, and decided to do some work in the same genre. My enthusiasm for his version of "Lakme" is surprising, as I don't like the original operatic version, which seems rather insipid.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 21 2008, 00:48

Quote (nightspore @ July 18 2008, 20:36)
So far, then, "Jungle Gardenia" is the single most popular non-album MO track: it appears on all but one list.

Maybe "Jungle Gardenia", short and unassuming, is a slice of musical perfection? Must be the strength of the melody that makes it stand out, do you think? In any case, it's nice to see where it stands in fan-appreciation.

Dirk, could you direct me to where I can download those fan tracks?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 21 2008, 06:29

I had a quick look yesterday Sweetpea and I think all of those links have expired now unfortunatly.Certainly two of them have anyway as I could`nt even find the initial post that contained the download for the Knebular 3 track.Anyway I`ve uploaded them myself here so hopefully that link works fingers crossed.

Jungle Gardenia was by Musicaly Inspired (Brandon Blume).For all Brandon`s idea was to extend Mike`s track a little further and explore that great theme a little bit.It stays pretty faithful to the spirit of the original imo.Songs Of Hergest Ridge was posted and performed by Mat Cochrane.It`s a "longish" piece where Mat explored the themes from Hergest Ridge in a kind of TSODE style.I realy love this track myself and it`s got a great little Mike Oldfield "in joke" contained in it.Keep your ears peeled for the saxotor heh heh..Knebular 3 is pretty cool as well but as I said I could`nt find that initial post yesterday and I can`t remember who posted it.Great stuff though..Obviously all of these tracks were posted here albeit free of charge by other members of t.net here.So if anybody thinks that for whatever reason I should`nt be re-uploading these tracks now.Please feel free to tell me,and I`ll remove them immediatly.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 21 2008, 08:46

Yeah I`m not too sure about that link earlier??? These ones may be better..

Songs Of Hergest Ridge

Knebular 3

Jungle Gardenia
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 21 2008, 15:40

Oh, those are good! I particularly like the "Songs of Hergest Ridge" piece. Thanks so much for that, Dirk.

--------------
Profile PM 
27 replies since July 16 2008, 22:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net