Question: Favourite Hergest Ridge version :: Total Votes:56
Poll choices Votes Statistics
1974 original mix 27  [48.21%]
1976 'Boxed' mix 14  [25.00%]
2010 mix 15  [26.79%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite Hergest Ridge version, Which mix do you like the best?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 12 2010, 14:53

Quote (captainknut @ July 12 2010, 11:51)
(But I still like the abrupt start much better than the fade in.)

Abrupt is underrated. I also like amp noises and discrete count-ins right before a track starts. The only thing that is cool to fade in is drums.  :cool:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 13 2010, 03:55

Quote (larstangmark @ July 12 2010, 14:53)
The only thing that is cool to fade in is drums.

I disagree.  I think that potentially anything and everything can work and so anything and everything is worth a try.

I've heard tracks where the whole band fades in and it sounds pretty neat to me.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 13 2010, 06:44

Quote (familyjules @ July 13 2010, 03:55)
Quote (larstangmark @ July 12 2010, 14:53)
The only thing that is cool to fade in is drums.

I disagree.  I think that potentially anything and everything can work and so anything and everything is worth a try.

I've heard tracks where the whole band fades in and it sounds pretty neat to me.

Jules

I was just kidding around!  :p Being overly categoric.
It has just struck me how cool it sounds when drums are faded in.
Often when I've been in the studio it's as if fading is in/out stuff is the norm, and everything else is seen as uncool!  :/

Edit: Fading in a track is not the norm of course (not even very common!;). I'm talking about the attitude where every transition has to be smooth and barely noticeable.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 13 2010, 18:43

Quote (familyjules @ July 13 2010, 09:55)

Yes, I agree. Guess who invented the "whole band" fade-in? George Martin and the Beatles. "Eight Days a Week". :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 04:06

Quote (Ugo @ July 13 2010, 18:43)

Yes, I agree. Guess who invented the "whole band" fade-in? George Martin and the Beatles. "Eight Days a Week". :)

I knew that!  I could have proved it too if you'd asked the question and left out the answer!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 18:10

Quote (familyjules @ July 14 2010, 10:06)
 I could have proved it too if you'd asked the question and left out the answer!

Ah, Fab Four fanatic like me, eh, Jules? Then answer this one: who made the first-ever promotional video for a song? :)

Back on topic: there is not a single mix of HR that I like in its entirety. My ideal mix would be a conglomerate of what I consider the best bits of all three mixes. And, who knows, some day I may even get around to making it on my own.

--------------
Profile PM 
captainknut Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 18:12

Bob Dylan!

What do I win? :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 18:14

@ captainknut: you don't win anything 'cause it's not correct. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 05:52

Quote (Ugo @ July 14 2010, 18:10)
Ah, Fab Four fanatic like me, eh, Jules? Then answer this one: who made the first-ever promotional video for a song? :)

The Beatles were making them from about 1965 onwards, weren't they?  They did a bunch all in one go for We Can Work It Out, Day Tripper, Help!, Ticket To Ride and I Feel Fine.

Dylan's one for Subterranean Homesick Blues was earlier, but as it was actually done for part of the Don't Look Back movie, rather than being conceived of as a promo, then it doesn't really count.  Otherwise you could point to the Beatles again for the songs in A Hard Day's Night, or indeed Elvis in his musical movies, and then you end up just including all musical films.....

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 09:32

@ Jules: yes, you are correct. All of the Beatles' short films you quoted as being made "all in one go" are quite widely recognized as being the first short films ever made as promotional tools for songs. Musical films don't count, as their purpose is illustrating songs, giving a visual context to them, rather than promoting them. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 10:00

Quote (Ugo @ July 14 2010, 00:43)

I think that's a guitar or couple of guitars fade in rather than a band. Am I right??

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 10:28

@ Delfín: it's two guitars, a bass and a cymbal (played by Ringo). So... the whole band. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Jimmy Nimbus Offline

Posted: July 17 2010, 16:52

Ever since I first heard Hergest Ridge in about 1992 I've known the Boxed version and didn't hear the vinyl until last year. Being more familiar with Boxed, I'm fairly sure I prefer it but since the 2010 version, something has happened more than once which has never happened before: I've had some of the themes stuck in my head to the point of finding myself whistling them in a big loop for about ten minutes and having to put the album on.

Which is pretty interesting to say the least.
Profile PM 
InsideOfYou Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 04:51

Definitely the 'Boxed' version for me, although the '74 orig still has its own unique 'atmosphere'.
Listened to it yesterday from my superbly pressed 4-LP set on a tuned up Akai direct drive turntable - effortless, powerful, cinematic, spiritual, incredibly subtle...I got it alright. :)
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: July 30 2010, 14:03

Voted for the original 1974 version, full, powerful and dynamic.

Although the Boxed 1976 version has really good moments in terms of intimacy and "warmness" (the softly blown trumpet around 10:00... wow :) ), and I don't understand the choice to exclude it from the deluxe version.

The 2010 version is imho interesting, especially in some acoustic guitar moments, but not much more, and the 12:12 incident ruins it.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 31 2010, 15:51

Quote (knife edge @ July 30 2010, 14:03)
Although the Boxed 1976 version has really good moments in terms of intimacy and "warmness" (the softly blown trumpet around 10:00... wow :) ), and I don't understand the choice to exclude it from the deluxe version.

One simple reason might be that it would have meant issuing a 4 disc set, which might have proved to be hard to sell.  But it does leave the Boxed mix somewhat high and dry in regards to the marketplace, which is sad.

Another reason might be that Mike has now had a second change of heart and is now disowning the Boxed mix!   :laugh:

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2010, 15:52

Quote (familyjules @ July 31 2010, 15:51)
Quote (knife edge @ July 30 2010, 14:03)

One simple reason might be that it would have meant issuing a 4 disc set, which might have proved to be hard to sell.  But it does leave the Boxed mix somewhat high and dry in regards to the marketplace, which is sad.

Another reason might be that Mike has now had a second change of heart and is now disowning the Boxed mix!   :laugh:

Jules

I think I would have preferred the Boxed version instead of the orr*** ehm... WONDERFUL demo of HR.  :p

Anyway, os good to have bought that HR Cd many years ago, so now we have all the three versions.  :)
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2010, 17:42

I've listened to the 2010 version of HR and there are some parts that are crisp and clear, and clean. However, I also feel some of the emotion of the original mix is missing. I absolutely do not like the "banjo" part on side one and find it most distracting even though it's clearly evident on the "demo" version. I do admit the "thunderstorm" section is very powerful and sounds incredible.

The DVD is terribly disappointing! Even though the 5.1 sound mix is great, it's difficult to watch 44 minutes of aerial views of the ridge with occasional gliders flying by!!! Some ground views and perhaps some tidbits of Mike recording the album would have been most welcome. What a waste of DVD film footage...
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2010, 01:36

I gress (opposite of digress? meh, half the time I've no clue what I'm sayin';), unless surround is impossible on a standard cd, I lack the ability to listen to that mix without the dvd in.

As for the footage, I'm guessing it was just bland for above reason, Surround sound doesn't work on cds.

Unless it does, don't act like i'm edgucated on the subject. I probably even spelled edjuctaded wrong.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2010, 18:59

So I voted for the 1976 Boxed version.

Why? It is the only one I ever listened to all my life until now. So it grew on me to the point that it would be hard to do better.

So 3 days ago I gave a listen to the 2010 and today to the 1974, both for the first time. The 2010 was really different for me, too much different; some guitars part are not played the same way (re-recording?), the mix is done differently and some additions are not welcome; finally, it's the least good version for me. The sound is good of course, but it's not enough. I don't really care about 5.1; I just want good music.

The 1974 was more interesting: there was more things in the mix than the 1976. Maybe if I grew up listening only to the 1974, I would have found the 1976 empty in the end. But I agree 100% with some people I read: the 1976 is more mysterious, calm, warm, unique in atmosphere. And it's this atmosphere I grew up with, so my final choice is still the 1976!

One more thing: for both 2010 and 1974, the storm part was very great, maybe better than the 1976...but I will not begin to edit Hergest Ridge to create my Ultimate version...
Profile PM 
95 replies since June 09 2010, 15:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net