Five Miles Out 30  [22.73%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite Five Miles Out Track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 04:29

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 09 2010, 19:51)
My favourite tracks: "Taurus 2", without a doubt, then "Mount Teidi", then "Oorabidoo" (except for the vocal. The line "Changing seasons come and go" is extremely clumsy - if they're changing, of course they're coming and going!;)

It's like that Thin Lizzy lyric;"Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak - somewhere in this town"!
I wonder where! Could be somewhere near the jail?
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 04:53

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 10 2010, 09:29)
Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 09 2010, 19:51)
The line "Changing seasons come and go" is extremely clumsy - if they're changing, of course they're coming and going!;)

It's like that Thin Lizzy lyric;"Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak - somewhere in this town"!
I wonder where! Could be somewhere near the jail?
Lars T

Hmmm. I understand what both of you are saying but to me both those lines of lyric are ok. I think of "changing seasons" as a description of the seasons themselves involving change such as flowering in spring or leaves dropping in autumn so it seems fine to me that the "changing seasons" can come and go!

And as for a jailbreak, I'm sure there are plenty of towns with jails or cells in more than one location therefore somewhere near *a* jail rather than *the* jail!

Maybe I just wasn't born to be a pedant (or an English teacher! ) :D

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 07:54

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 10 2010, 04:53)
And as for a jailbreak, I'm sure there are plenty of towns with jails or cells in more than one location therefore somewhere near *a* jail rather than *the* jail!

Sure, but they make it sound like a jailbreak might just happen in the corner of a pastry store!
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 08:19

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 10 2010, 04:53)
[quote=larstangmark,M I think of "changing seasons" as a description of the seasons themselves involving change such as flowering in spring or leaves dropping in autumn so it seems fine to me that the "changing seasons" can come and go!

Maybe I just wasn't born to be a pedant (or an English teacher! ) :D

Ha ha, I'll concede that one, Matt. Now let's see you explain "4 a.m. in the morning"! Actually, you probably could; you could probably say that "4 a.m" is actually and metaphorically a state of mind, and that you need to add "in the morning" to make it clear that you're talking about a time of day!

Another lyric that really grates - and I hate the song anyway - is from "Family Man": "Leave me alone, I'm a family man/And my bark is much worse than my bite". Logically - given that the character is trying to be threatening - he should say "my bite is much worse than my bark!".
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 10:35

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 10 2010, 08:19)
Another lyric that really grates - and I hate the song anyway - is from "Family Man": "Leave me alone, I'm a family man/And my bark is much worse than my bite". Logically - given that the character is trying to be threatening - he should say "my bite is much worse than my bark!".

Actually, that lyric makes perfect sense because the guy is saying he is NOT threatening: he can verbally protest and fight, but when it comes to doing something, he won't. That's why "if you push me too far I just might... ..."

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 12:05

I was quite upset in the 80's when Hall and Oats covered "Family man". It became a mega hit for them. I understand why MO's version was not a hit, he was too obscure/unknown by then in the US despite the 1973 big news RE TB1(which had a decade to be forgotten). Sad. The original was far superior. But Hall and Oats was a passable commercial copy. That's show-biz I guess.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 18:35

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 10 2010, 10:35)
ould say "my bite is much worse than my bark!".[/quote]
Actually, that lyric makes perfect sense because the guy is saying he is NOT threatening: he can verbally protest and fight, but when it comes to doing something, he won't. That's why "if you push me too far I just might... ..."

I know what you're saying, but his directness in saying "leave me alone!" gives the impression he is threatening, or, at least, assertive - and hence the words seem wrong.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2010, 18:40

Quote (Bonsignore @ Dec. 11 2003, 15:02)
PITD...you're a dog in the manger! How to decide...? Taurus II

Is that a Peter Hammil Quote?

Sounds like it.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2011, 06:22

I love the Deep Deep Sound, so Taurus 2 wins this for me.  :)

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
steadybox Offline

Posted: June 27 2015, 14:48

Taurus II and Orabidoo are absolutely great, but I have to go with the title track, I love it.
Profile PM 
69 replies since Dec. 08 2003, 13:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net