Tricks of the light 9  [10.34%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite Discovery Track, Choose< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
PICTURES IN THE DARK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 16 2004, 19:35

You choose (Bet I know which one's going to win...:))
I can't choose because I've heard all of them except Discovery and The Lake. Besides, I love all of the ones I've already heard, especially Poison Arrows, Crystal Gazing and Saved by a bell.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2004, 20:25

Although I like To France and The Lake that much,I´ve voted for Poison Arrows,it´s my fav tune from the album,the music and lyrics are great,as well as Mike´s guitar hard playin´!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2004, 05:23

I voted 'The Lake'. I love that piece. But I also love 'To France', 'Discovery' and 'Poison arrows' I love this album, there is not a track on it I don't like.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
Afgyhi Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2004, 17:37

Its a great album!!! And it was difficult to choose... But I chose poison arrows!!!

--------------
Crises! Crises!!
Profile PM 
PICTURES IN THE DARK Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2004, 19:26

By now the winner is 'The Lake'. I knew it... I must be a psychic!;)
In the end I voted for 'Crystal gazing'
Profile PM 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2004, 14:54

Poison arrows... :cool:
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2004, 17:07

I like them all (Discovery is my favourite 'pop' album), but after all is said and done it has to be The Lake.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2004, 20:13

One of my favourite albums! I voted for Discovery because its wonderful guitar solo, but The Lake is also a truly briliant piece.

Anyway, I feel that Crystal Gazing, Foreign Affair and North Point are somehow "kindred" songs. I don't know why but I feel so. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 24 2004, 18:25

Tough match! The songs are mostly very even, and I find it a bit unfair to compare The Lake with all the other songs. I voted for Tricks Of The Light. It's quite catchy.

Poison Arrows is cool, but I get a bad impression out of it, because the "hiding in the shadows, poison arrows" hook is almost identical to the "carried away by a moonlight shadow" hook... :/

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2004, 16:25

hard to choose, my favourites in the album: the lake, saved by a bell and poison arrows.
saved by a bell was one of the songs that at school age made me keen on learning english. at first for what i could just understand, a few words further than the name of some constellations, i guessed it may be not a "typical" song with cheesy lyrics and so... and i wanted to know more cause i was curious about it.
i still like a lot this song, though i do love 'the lake'.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
sEIGu Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2004, 00:29

> You have already voted in this poll

me = idiot...  i hit discovery, but wanted the lake :)

i'm an instrumental-fan.. and the lake is one of the best instrumental-productions from oldfield/phillips..

--------------
sEIGu
Profile PM 
Red Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2004, 15:16

Tricks Of The Light. Those bursts of acoustic, the male and female vocal exchanges, that ridiculously distorted electric - I find it all rather passionate.
Profile PM 
wowser Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2004, 15:51

i'd say the title track, but tricks of the light just about wins. it seems the singer has now fallen on hard times

--------------
Pointless act! You don't give a five hundred dollar tip to the housekeeper! That's inappropriate! That's inexcusable!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2004, 02:49

I agee with a lot of you, The Lake has it. It is probably my favourite of all Mike's long instrumentals. However, I do like a lot of the songs: To France, Poison Arrows, Tricks of the Light and Saved by a Bell. Overall this is one of my favourite albums, but The Lake is for me what makes this album great. Mike's guitar at the end is just fabulous.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2004, 08:51

I'm with many of you: it is an outstanding album from one end to the other, but "The Lake" edges out the other tracks.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2004, 11:26

Unlike everyone here, I never grew very fond of the Discovery album. I voted for 'The Lake', but it's a long time since I played it. Maybe it's time for another listen.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 03 2005, 05:50

The title track! I love Barry's vocal and the guitar solo. The guitar solos really shine on this album. Discovery is a great mix of folk-pop and heavy metal. I bought it on its release in 1984 (I was 11 at the time!;), and you're allways biased about music you first heard when you were a kid. But it stands the test of time I think.

I'm not too fond of The Lake. To me it sounds like a demo song for some workstation synth with sample fascilities. Except for the guitars of course.
I'm not crazy about Saved by a Bell and Crystal Gazing either, but they're OK songs. There's no real stinker on the album.

Lars Tängmark

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 06 2005, 16:28

I figured out what is my problem with "The Lake": the piece is too goddamn cutesy! It's sweety sugary syrupy all the way through! It's the Care Bears to Tubular Bells' Woody Woodpecker. It's like the kind of thing designed to make all the animé addicts go "KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIII" when they hear it, or something. Ehn, I dunno. It sounds like Mike was way too afraid of frightening the listeners.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 05:09

CUTESY!!! I refute that wholeheartedly. I can't hear anything that would make it any more 'cutesy' than any other long instrumental he did. "Afraid of frightening the listeners"? And how is that different to Hergest Ridge part 1? I'd like to see you call that 'cutesy'.

The Lake is one of my very favourite pieces of music, especially the ending, and I do not appreciate it being compared to the Care Bears.   :)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 09:34

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 06 2005, 16:28)
Tubular Bells' Woody Woodpecker.

Fan track, anyone? The Woody Woodpecker theme applied to Tubular Bells.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
75 replies since Jan. 16 2004, 19:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net