Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite album covers of Mike, Which 3 do you like best?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 29 2022, 16:47

Quote (larstangmark @ April 29 2022, 14:24)
Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ April 28 2022, 19:22)
If so, then the magic mirror-style art of MC Escher is uninspired, because Music of the Spheres cover is directly inspired by Escher's compositions. See for example: Spirals, Mobius Strip II, Stars and others.  Now imagine if MC Escher had of had access to modern computer technology - the potential is almost frightening.  Theres nothing wrong with using technology to create splendid art. This is exactyl what Mike Oldfield did - compare the technology of Tubular Bells I, to that found on his albums from 1992 onwards, including Tubular Beats, Night + Shade, Tr3s Lunas, TB2 and 3, Millennium Bell, including the interactive music computer games like Maestro.  The cover of Music of the Sphers is majestic and inspiring on a macrocosmic level, just like the music of the album - the mathematical yet freely creative harmony and melody of the cosmos.  In my opinion..!  But each has their own feelings so it doesnt make it right or mistaken.

I never enjoyed MC Esher's work, and I don't enjoy much of Mike's music post Amarok either for that matter. I enjoy the quirky, the flawed and the inconsequential. Mike left that behind a long time ago IMO.

MC Escher is one of the greatest graphic artists of the 20th century, a genius maestro, universally acknowledged.  As for Oldfield, Tubular Bells 2 is by my count the single greatest album of the entire popular era; closely followed by TUbular Bells 3, Songs of Distant Earth.  Return to Ommadawn is by far the greatest album of the 2010s.  Music of the Spheres, Light + Shade, and Tr3s Lunas are easily among the greatest albums of the 2000s.  Voyager is a stunning masterpiece.  Millennium Bell is a sublime masterpiece.  Guitars has some excellent cranking blues rock tracks.  The tracks "Heavens Open" and "Music from the Balcony" from Heavens Open are some of his best work.  in short, the 90s- was the strongest overall period of Oldfields career, even though Taurus 2 remains arguably his most brilliant individual piece.  "Sunset" from Light + Shade is among the most divine instrumental songs you will encounter in the human world in millions of years (literally).  Man on the Rocks is obviously a clunker but I strongly suspect that Oldfield intermittently releases very poor albums (Such as Earth Moving) for a laugh, almost.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 03 2022, 15:08

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ April 29 2022, 16:47)
[quote=larstangmark,April 29 2022, 14:24]
MC Escher is one of the greatest graphic artists of the 20th century, a genius maestro, universally acknowledged.

Well, I still don't care much for it.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Urinationofthereast Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2022, 05:52

It is definitely Dangerous since it is so specific and fits the entire idea. The project's subject is reflected in the cover, which Mark Ryden did a fantastic job creating. However, History comes in second place among the covers, trailing only to Dangerous. I can still clearly recall how enthralled I was by the cover and the whole statue idea as a child. I'm not sure if it's the statue's eyes, face, or recognizable symbols. Still, there must be something about it, or maybe it was just the way it was advertised. That reminds me a lot of what https://streamingfamous.com/buy-spotify-plays/ does nowadays.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2022, 19:11

Are there any moderators on this website who are deleting spam such as the one above?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2022, 04:34

I don't think there are any mods left :(
Profile PM 
24 replies since April 30 2021, 10:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net