Like all sections equally 10  [13.33%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favorite part of Ommadawn side 1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
natertb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 14:49

I love the African drums at the end of Part One. That is probably the only time I ever turn up my CD player full blast.

--------------
Waiting hour by hour...
Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: April 02 2006, 23:50

That recorder/string melody!
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: April 03 2006, 06:17

Well my favourite part is a small section that i don't think anyone has mentioned, but i would be interested to see what others think.

Its the part, about 8 minutes n from the entry of the solo cello melody that then leads in to this incredibly rich and beautiful melody by the guiar which plays the opening theme but n the major key with the gentle twinkling ofglocks in the background. This part of the album is simply ecstatic in its beauty, quite rearkable.

Who else loves this very small part?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 03 2006, 11:37

I love this part too, and knew it easily from your description. I always thought it sounded "Sweet". However, it is of very short length: I consider it more of a transition than an actual section.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2006, 05:37

part 1 beggins in 9'47''

bbbeeaaaaaauutifullll

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2006, 15:20

Quote (Incantations2085 @ Aug. 21 2006, 11:37)
part 1 beggins in 9'47''

bbbeeaaaaaauutifullll

Yeap, an amazing riff ;)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2006, 20:31

The chant is oh so good. Its all oh so good actually.

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2006, 11:48

I loved the screaming guitar, it was just as if someone was screaming to be let out in a way, and that climax was so moving. It was also bizarre in how that climax suddenly stopped to allow the african drums in to fade it out.

I also liked the recorder section approximately 5-6 minutes in. It was a nice little tune, and the choir in the background was beautiful. It was a lovely interlude which was perfect for leading it into the Ommadawn Chant.

It is very hard to pick a favourite part in a piece of music which seems so perfect.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2006, 19:52

Quote (Incantations2085 @ Aug. 21 2006, 10:37)
part 1 beggins in 9'47''

bbbeeaaaaaauutifullll

I agree I think that's the intro to the build up of the Ommadawn Chant, and the lead up to the guitar climax, which REALLY kicks in at 16:17, and shifts up into overdrive  at 17:28, and when you think it just can't possibly get any higher Mike's guitar solo reaches it's   climactic peak at 18.25 , and suddenly halts, to allow the African  drums to sustain the Ommadawn heartbeat.  A beautifully  crafted piece of music  :D .

SoimSandheaver   Posted on Aug. 22 2006, 16:48I loved the screaming guitar, it was just as if someone was screaming to be let out in a way, and that climax was so moving. It was also bizarre in how that climax suddenly stopped to allow the african drums in to fade it out.......

I did read that Mike intended Ommadawn as a form of catharsis, for himself , and what Mike felt he couldn't express vocally , he articulated so well with his guitar   :D  ;) , so beautifully moving.

One thing I can't work out about Ommadawn Part1 is how it can occasionally  make me cry, not that I find it makes me feel sad,     at all , if anything it elevates my sense of happiness.  Maybe  it's the intensity of the emotions contained within Ommadawn that brings my emotions to the fore.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2006, 13:47

I love the hornpipey-ish section that starts about six or seven minutes in! So simple, yet so bouncy and joyous! :D

One of my three favourite bits of Ommadawn - the others being the climax of part I, and the rustic folky melody in Part II (the one that sounds like it should be in a Baxters Soup Advert...) :D

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2006, 09:45

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 23 2006, 00:52)
I did read that Mike intended Ommadawn as a form of catharsis, for himself , and what Mike felt he couldn't express vocally , he articulated so well with his guitar   :D  ;) , so beautifully moving.

Well, Mike did say his guitar was his voice. I think in Ommadawn, it can't be better displayed than at the climax of Part 1. To me, that particular section parallels the climax to Hergest Ridge Part 2. Given that the "electronic thunderstorm" (as I have come to call it) section in Hergest Ridge is my favourite on that album, it would probably explain why I liked the screaming guitar in Ommadawn so much.

I liked Hergest Ridge a lot because there was a lot of emotions being contained in that album that seemed to express a connection between happiness and sadness, and when those two emotions at their most extreme appear to collide, there is this wonderful release at the end of the Album.

Ommadawn is different, it doesn't tend to linger on the focus of one emotion, it constantly shifts and contrasts at so many points. It is just a lot more versatile, and that makes it a lot more interesting to listen to.

However, I am strangely still more attracted to Hergest Ridge whenever I am given a choice to listen to one of the two albums.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2006, 19:33

I agree Sandheaver, the climatic ending of Ommadawn Part 1 is on an equal footing with the climax of Hergest Ridge Part 2.
I'm a fan of the "Thunderstorm"/"Martian" Section of Hergest Ridge too   :D , I do find it most baffling when some fans dislike this section :// dismiss it as "too repetitive" , I love it.

I wouldn't say that Hergest Ridge is a particularly sad album, but the oboe section that begins at 08:44  and lasts until 13:00 can feel a bit melancholy, and can make me cry, if so  then it usually happens here.  Then the bells come in and the mood changes again to more upbeat.
Agreed Hergest Ridge is a melting pot of many different emotions, and when these emotions all collide the result is explosive    :cool: , by the time Hergest Ridge climaxes in the Thunderstorm or Martian Section, any melancholy mood has lifted to be replaced by happiness  :D, this is where I frequently have an overpowering urge to dance, slightly eccentric person that I am.

I would rate Ommadawn as my favourite album, but Hergest Ridge comes a very close second  :).

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Jameson Kimball Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2007, 19:00

its all about 6:10-6:57!!!!!

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/jamesonkimball
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2007, 10:46

Quote (Jameson Kimball @ Jan. 15 2007, 19:00)
its all about 6:10-6:57!!!!!

Uh...so what happens then?  Remind me.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 17 2007, 03:59

Quote (Guru Meditation @ Aug. 24 2005, 14:15)
My favourite part from Ommadawn is without doubt the opening part, for which I voted - the mystical one. It always induces very meditative and a bit oriental state of mind in me. I imagine a desert before a sunset, a tired caravan, and sand-watches that slowly flow...

I have a really hard time picking one favorite part from this piece, but I'm with Guru regarding that opening 'mystical' theme. That tune is a permanent fixture in my psyche.

Still, I mostly agree with HearItAll's "My favorite part of side 1 *IS* side 1." The piece is so fluid in its moving and shifting, and the recurrences (01:44, 11:08 and 16:54, I think?) of the 'mystical' theme makes it more than just beautiful music. The guitar solos are amazing and intense, but I feel the 'mystical' theme is also very powerful.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 21 2007, 10:43

I've only just got the vinyl record Ommadawn.
To begin with I have to say what a fantastic album...from the same year that I was born, 32 years ago...hard to believe.
Now I can see where some of the typical characteristics i.e. Taurus I, II or Amarok came from.
I voted "other section" because now I have the same trouble with Ommadawn side 1 as I had with Tubular Bells before Mike made some "adjustements" and adorned it (or spoiled it to some) several times. I have quite a hard time with the main melody that's so very significant for Ommadawn and "right now" it feels as if it keeps nagging at me over and over and out of tune...Well then what can I possible like about Ommadawn?
After the intro it sounds a bit experimental composed and played in a very dynamic way with a different melody pattern...I adore it where you're not quite sure where it's all heading and then keeps rising to the ending final where the chant is tending to feel a bit tedious.
I know it will grow and I will learn how to love it all...it's just a first impression.  :cool:

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
ettlz Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2008, 11:49

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 26 2005, 10:31)
Yet, it all takes on a sarcastic tone with the loud "Hmph!" at the end. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I've never heard anyone else comment on it.

I thought he was just tugging on the reins.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2008, 15:37

I vote for the screaming guitar climax.

And in my opinion it is the climax of all Mike Oldfield climaxes.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2008, 17:39

Yes  I have to agree wiga that's the Ommagasm of all Mike's albums :cool:  :)  :D  ;) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
SunkenForest Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 01:12

And in my opinion it is the climax of all Mike Oldfield climaxes.

I think Mike would say that his greatest climaxes would be the ones that made him a daddy.  *bad-dump-TISH*

I would have to say that this was up there, though.  Almost def. one of the top - although I love the Maggie Thatcher on Amarok and I love the End of TBp1 The Bell on TB2 - although they have a different feel to them.

In the end I voted for all parts equally.  I am sure I like some parts more than others, but I can't decide which ones - they keep changing.  For me, Ommadawn is about the experience of Ommadawn - the buildup is key, and if someone switched the order of the parts I would not feel the same about them as I do in their current order.

...it was a copout answer, though.
Profile PM 
69 replies since June 13 2005, 09:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net