Like all sections equally 10  [13.33%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favorite part of Ommadawn side 1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 06:15

Quote (SunkenForest @ Jan. 22 2010, 01:12)
I think Mike would say that his greatest climaxes would be the ones that made him a daddy.  *bad-dump-TISH*

Ehhn, climaxes are a complex thing. I keep going back-and-forth on this matter, hoping that the truth will stick out eventually; and even though I like to stick my nose in the issue, I can't really put my finger on it.

... um,

I think I sort of reconsider my original opinion. If there's one "perfect" moment in this side of the record, it's the moment just when the fast guitar solo ends, when the music slows down and the flute hits that high note over the synthesided chord. That's a beautiful recapitulation of the theme.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 08:52

My favourite part is from about 7 minutes in when the recorders come in and play that really nice little tune and then the mandolin joins in with acoustic bass.Listening to it now.And here comes that marvellous little harp tune.Reminds me of a trickling stream.So serene.and then the little violin (i think)interlude before the most euphoric guitar solo i've ever heard Mike play.I so love it.Always have.Dead easy to play.
 Do i really have to pick just one part?The whole peice sits together so well.And of the end solo is stunning.
 What about part 2 though?That has that marvellous acoustic tune just before Paddy's tune and straight after the lovely little folk tune that makes me think of some fairytale woods at night.Really quite eerie with a sense of longing and then the Greek bit.In one review at the time it was descibed as 'plate smashing time'.It's like TB.Everyone seems to forget that side 2 has some wonderfull moments.In fact i tend to listen to side 2 of TB more than side one.
 Hang on here come the african drums.....

:laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 12:43

Without thinking that much...the screaming guitar climax toward end!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2011, 04:51

I voted for the section that starts at 06:00 and concludes roughly at the 10:00 mark. The new headmaster of Whiston Worrygoose Junior & Infants, played that particular piece on the first day of term, 1976 on a standard mono cassette recorder. I t was the first I had ever heard of Mike Oldfield (I was 10 yrs old) and I have much to thank Mr Gaworth for. :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2011, 16:11

Ommadawn Chant AND Screaming Guitar.

Need both.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 14 2014, 09:29

I like the whole of Part 1. In my view you can't seperate it into parts, It's all stunning as a whole :)
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: April 18 2014, 04:47

Part One.
When I bought it back in 75 I couldnt get side one off the turntable !!!!!
Profile PM 
MadTheDJ Offline

Posted: April 29 2014, 08:38

I'm always loved pretty much the entire album from start to finish, except maybe the "Sad Song For Rosie" bagpipe section. The sound on that part (and it's purely my own taste) used to grate on me. I'm not sure why, I like his other bagpipe and bagpipe guitar pieces. That one always used to throw me off. However, since discovering the Sallyangie "Rosie" guitar improv version, I've softened on that part, probably because I have some context for it and I like the idea that it's from an earlier point in his career.

In the poll, I selected the Opening movement. I guess I just keep coming back to that part. The atmosphere, the mystery... I picture moving through a dark, magical woods, where shadowy things move about just out of sight. The Closing two movements (the "ommadawn" chant and the wailing guitar solo) would be a close second! That build up is just epic. I also love "On Horseback," especially the 2010 remastered version, which sounds much clearer.

--------------
Buy The Mike Oldfield Chronology book at: http://tinyurl.com/klyfvuc
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2018, 22:47

I'm a convert to Ommadawn! I was watching part 1 on Youtube, and something about Mike's hypnotic gaze, the peacock-blue background, made me think that this music is actually about space, not the countryside. The final guitar line seems to say "Power! power! power!" with increasing intensity, and I found myself swept along with it.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 29 2018, 20:54

Many think the chant is the best part of Ommadawn. I disagree, and in fact much prefer the version on Tubular Beats, which is echoey and spacey, as though it comes across vast reaches of space and time!
Profile PM 
69 replies since June 13 2005, 09:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net