Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favorite Oldfield Synth< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Priabonia Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 12 2013, 09:46

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 12 2013, 14:22)
I have suggested this elsewhere on this discussion board and boy have I been flamed!

Can you point me to that flaming...er I mean discussion? It would make interesting reading.

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2013, 11:19

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 11 2013, 04:59)
Quote (emac @ Oct. 11 2013, 02:58)
Oddly enough, Mike does not ever seem to have used a Minimoog...

Well, it didn't have presets, did it?

No but as they were seen as the most important monosynth of its time and the most versatile, I'm surprised he didn't dabble with them at all.
However the sounds he got out of the ARP,SH2000,Solina etc still to this day seem fresh and ahead of the curve..

The Sh2000 sounds alot like a Moog using one of its three oscillators as the filter is much the same on both of them..
(Roland had to redesign their filter after Moog made a noise about Roland copying their design)

Perhaps the SH2000 was "Good enough"...

Eden.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2013, 18:20

Quote (Priabonia @ Oct. 11 2013, 08:19)
I have searched the web for any reference to this comment, without success. If any of the audience here can shed any further light it would be most interesting.

Altogether a very interesting thread. Thankyou all for your in-depth knowledge of synths!  

I would also like to know how much involvement David Bedford had with Incantations. I don't have the vinyl anymore but I don't seem to remember any of the other musicians being credited. Just Ben Jonson and Longfellow.

Hope the twins are getting on ok.  :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2013, 04:13

Quote (emac @ Oct. 12 2013, 11:19)

No but as they were seen as the most important monosynth of its time and the most versatile, I'm surprised he didn't dabble with them at all.
However the sounds he got out of the ARP,SH2000,Solina etc still to this day seem fresh and ahead of the curve..

The Sh2000 sounds alot like a Moog using one of its three oscillators as the filter is much the same on both of them..
(Roland had to redesign their filter after Moog made a noise about Roland copying their design)

Perhaps the SH2000 was "Good enough"...

Eden.

To me it seems Mike prefered keyboards he could that could produce a great sound "out of the box". I don't know if it's because this recurring association between Mike and Jarre/Vangelis that ppl keep assuming Mike is some sort of synth wizzard. To me it seems Mike didn't bother learning about synthesizers at all. Even when he bought the Fairlight system he used mostly the factory samples and made very little used of the advanced functions (like sampling). That's the reason why he never used a moog if you ask me (pure speculation of course).
Regarding the David Bedford "Flame" (perhaps a slight exagerration) I have to check my post history. From memory - at least a couple person found the idea of David Bedford influencing MIke to make Incantation completely ridiculous and insisted that Bedford was in fact trying to cash in on Mike's success when he made the Odyssey and Instructions for Angels - making Oldfield-like music or something. I think it's obvious that those Mike borrowed a lot of Bedford's sound and compositional style for Incantations.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2013, 12:40

Quote (First_Excursion @ Oct. 14 2013, 00:20)
I would also like to know how much involvement David Bedford had with Incantations. I don't have the vinyl anymore but I don't seem to remember any of the other musicians being credited. Just Ben Jonson and Longfellow.

The musicians are mentioned on the inside of the centrefold, for example Pierre Moerlen (drums), Terry Oldfield/Sebastian Bell (flutes) etc. David Bedford is only listed as the conductor of strings and choir, not as the arranger...
Quote (emac @ Oct. 12 2013, 17:19)

I think M.O.'s choice of synthesisers in the early days was also influenced by David Bedford who used the ARP2600 and Solina as well (among a few others). The ARP is quite a complicated machine compared to the Minimoog, not the logical choice for a beginner (unless you have somebody at hand who can teach you how to use it)...

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2013, 11:34

Quote (First_Excursion @ Oct. 13 2013, 23:20)
Hope the twins are getting on ok.  :)

The twins are doing very well thank you...out of intensive care but still in hospital, I think they are using the downtime to work on their vintage synth "ICU remix"...

Otherwise this thread has gone quiet - no one else with any views on how much DB contributed to Incantations?

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2013, 15:16

I have now re-visisted the old discussion thread about David Bedford's influence on Incantations. The "flame" was most likely my mind playing a trick on me. This is what the user Holger replied to one of my posts (and I think he might be wrong about Instructions for Angels , but anyway...):

"Yes, Mike definitely "nicked" ideas from David Bedford, though in the case of Incantations, they're more likely to come from David's previous album "The Odyssey" (quite similar in sound to Instructions for Angels, and also featuring Mike). I think fragile got it about right saying that Incantations is a mix of Music for 18 Musicians and The Odyssey.

If you like both albums (The Odyssey and Instructions for Angels), I also recommend checking out "Rigel 9". Also, I recommend to any fan of Mike's early output Bedford's Recorder Concerto featured on this CD. It really is a lot like Hergest Ridge.
"

The whole thread:

http://tubular.net/forums....;t=5479

Congratulations to the twins!  :)

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
26 replies since Oct. 07 2013, 07:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net