Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favorite acoustic guitars, whats yours?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 28 2007, 12:14

I indulged last week by buying a new guitar as a Birthday present for myself.

I imagine many people on this site have their own acoustic guitars, regardless of their ability to play them. So, what sort of guitars do you have? Any favorites?

I've had a classical guitar for over 20 years but decided recently to get a steel stringed as well. I hadn't really realised until I walked into the shop what a daunting choice there would be! Loads and loads of lovely sounding guitars.

I tried out various ones including some that were outwith my budget (some Taylors for instance) and then settled on a Freshman FA2AS which I have been playing since and utterly love to bits.

Don't play much Mike on it (too difficult  :laugh: ) but knocking out some notes and chords while reading Changeling is my idea of bliss.

So, any acoustic guitar stories? What do you own or play? If I were to try some bits of Mikes music on this guitar what would be a good starting point as something not too tricky?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 28 2007, 15:55

If the cash was not an issue, I'd buy something like that:

http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/acoustic/gibson/custom/j-200vine.html

or that:

http://www.gibson.com/Product....Monarch

cheers

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 28 2007, 16:24

For many, many years (from about 1972-ish) I had an EKO - very heavy, quiet, not very resonant. But it sounded quite nice and it never much occurred to me to change. Couldn't have afforded to anyway.

But some years ago I had a bit of a cash windfall; and the EKO was in need of serious attention of various kinds, so I started to look around. I soon realised that it wasn't going to be easy to get something that suited me better, and eventually there came a day when I realised I was going to have to pay serious money. Things came to a head in a shop where I sat, one day, playing various lovely guitars - Gibsons, Martins, and Taylors, all of which were going to cost me more than £1000, and none of which quite seemed to shout 'This is the ONE!' - if you know what I mean?

But then in a corner I spotted one I hadn't tried. A Martin, with no label - so I didn't know the model or the price. I picked it up - and that was that. It was the guitar that had been made expressly for me - that's what it felt like. I played it for an hour or two, falling utterly in love with a guitar that must surely be far beyond my means. 'You like that?' asked a passing shop assistant. I rolled my eyes, then asked the price. It was HALF the price of all the others I'd been playing!!

So then and there I bought it - a Martin DM. The guitar that somehow seems to have been made just to suit me. After that, the old EKO seemed horribly unresponsive - virtually unplayable. Within six months my guitar playing had improved beyond all measure, and I never looked back, really, except to remember that day with enormous gratitude.
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: May 28 2007, 18:43

It is true you become a better guitar player with better guitars..

I would like to save for a Lowden,

but some that may interest you guys...

http://www.emeraldguitars.com

Both irish brands of guitars, the latter ones, very surreal.

I would love some of those.

Been an electric guitarplyer since i was 11, and only used an acoustic for effect, i think i would be a better acoustic player if i eventually bought a decent one.

right now I have a customm built acoustic called "ernie" after the strings. i built it years ago, dull, tough action... but nice pickup.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 28 2007, 18:52

My guitar is a Fender, it cost me £100 with a tuner,spare set of  strings,  strap and CD included, just one of those beginners packs   ,(should be £110 , but entered the price wrongly at the till) , since my then husband decided to  try and take the "action" down on my Gibson Epiphone acoustic, despite me saying don't bother , I'll take it to a professional. He took it down too low and caused fret buzz, and never did fix it :O.

My Fender for a cheap guitar plays very well, I've had a couple of semi pro musician friends play it and have commented on how nice it is   :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 29 2007, 05:43

Agree very much with the comments about a good sounding instrument encouraging playing. That was one reason for me getting one (my wife had a steel stringed acoustic from her youth but it always sounded awful so I found it unbearable to play).

Also Alan D's comment about finding the right guitar for you. The folks in the shop when I was buying basically said the same thing. Go round trying them and find the one that matches what you want in terms of feel/sound/looks. Sort of like Harry Potter going into Ollivanders to find the wand that was destined for him  :p

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: May 29 2007, 07:45

For me its these guitars.........

http://www.jackspiraguitars.com/

I have a fairly early one (number 39) and it is great for fingerpicking and solo stuff. However when recorded with other instruments it can sound almost too broad as it covers so much sonic ground.
One of my friends and a few other people I know also have Spira guitars.
Jack only lived about 20 minutes away from me. He has since moved (about 6-7 years ago) near Melbourne.
Jack is a champion guy and a great builder with his own style.

I also have the one and only Spira 8 string bass......

emac
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: May 29 2007, 19:32

You right about the nice guitars make you want to play nice and More.....

So I recently got a Taylor 910 CE.

This goes with my two Takamini limited editions 1997 and 1999 and a simmilar Takamini clasical.

Also Semi Acoustics are nice too - i got a 1955 Gibson 225 last month, almost an acoustic if you ask me - it's body is biger than my takamini.

Although PRS holowbody's probaly don't count as acoustics do they?  I still find this is the most played of my guitars because it's so light and you can still hear it when you play unplugged without distubing wee Torantwoyears.

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2008, 09:08

Old topic but,as i've started to play a lot more acoustic again,i thought i'd chip in.About 8 years ago i started getting seriously into English folk.I've always enjoyed it but due to various circumstances around that time i was discovering and exploring my spiritual self and folk music (esp Kate Rusby)just spoke to me.I was using my ex-wife's really cheap Washburn,which was ok(ish)but not great.I needed a new,better acoustic.On a trip to my local store i tried a few untill i tried a Simon And Patrick S&P6EQ.Beautiful handcrafted Canadian instrument from Godin who make loads of brands.Fell in love with it.It's named Meg after my youngest daughter who had just been born the month before.It's a bit battered and scratched (or rather a lot battered and scratched) but it stills plaays nicely and the sound has mellowed and matured wonderfully.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 22 2008, 16:34

Quote (Alan D @ May 28 2007, 22:24)
For many, many years (from about 1972-ish) I had an EKO - very heavy, quiet, not very resonant. But it sounded quite nice and it never much occurred to me to change. Couldn't have afforded to anyway.

But some years ago I had a bit of a cash windfall; and the EKO was in need of serious attention of various kinds, so I started to look around. I soon realised that it wasn't going to be easy to get something that suited me better, and eventually there came a day when I realised I was going to have to pay serious money. Things came to a head in a shop where I sat, one day, playing various lovely guitars - Gibsons, Martins, and Taylors, all of which were going to cost me more than £1000, and none of which quite seemed to shout 'This is the ONE!' - if you know what I mean?

But then in a corner I spotted one I hadn't tried. A Martin, with no label - so I didn't know the model or the price. I picked it up - and that was that. It was the guitar that had been made expressly for me - that's what it felt like. I played it for an hour or two, falling utterly in love with a guitar that must surely be far beyond my means. 'You like that?' asked a passing shop assistant. I rolled my eyes, then asked the price. It was HALF the price of all the others I'd been playing!!

So then and there I bought it - a Martin DM. The guitar that somehow seems to have been made just to suit me. After that, the old EKO seemed horribly unresponsive - virtually unplayable. Within six months my guitar playing had improved beyond all measure, and I never looked back, really, except to remember that day with enormous gratitude.

EKO was the very first guitar, Mike himself has played!

Here are the ones I play:

Yamaha G-90A

Martin D-28-12

Ramirez 1A Flamenco
Profile PM 
9 replies since May 28 2007, 12:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net