Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: fav track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 17 2002, 15:59

after listening to the excerpts at http://www.mikeoldfield-treslunas.com , from what i hear i think my favorite track will be Return to the Origin. I love that song......

what's everyone elses opinion?

Tres Lunas rox!! i think it might surpass TOSDE as my fav album!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 17 2002, 17:20

I've just listened through them, and I don't think there's any track that really stands out... they're all nice. I think "nice" will be the best word to describe this album, actually - hearing this doesn't give me very high expecations. But who knows, I might be surprised smile

The main problem with these previews, to me, is that the melodies doesn't sound very fresh. Also, the atmosphere and mood doesn't seen to vary a whole lot through the album. They're all nice relaxing tracks. I fear it might be boring in the long run.

I wish Mike would do a rock album after this... some fast, heavy stuff. Ahhh, yes. biggrin
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 18 2002, 01:01

well mike himself said this album was made for relaxation..so if someone doesnt want to relax...dont listen to this album much smile

for me....i love this type of music. thats why i love TSODE so much cuz its kind of the same style and i think this is the best album since TSODE. i could listen to this stuff forever........

in fact now that i think of it, i havent liked any album that much that came out since TSODE....like it was his last really good sounding one until now. guitars being an exception but not a great one.....it is an awesome album and i looove summit day and cochise.....but it seemed too.....well...it sounded like it was still in 'pre-stages' to me....i dno. probly cuz its all guitars....and i love the sound. but it just sounds unfinished...doesnt fit....i dno. dont mind me smile

and TB3 was also really good and is the one that stands out the most since TSODE but still doesnt quite reach that same......point as TSODE and previous albums. and i think Tres Lunas sounds like its coming back to that point. to me anyways.....i dno.

but i think too that after the next MusicVR album and the Tubular Bells re-recording, Mike should make another rockier album...like Five Miles Out....or Crises...or even Platinum. id love to hear more fun tunes like Platinum Part 2 and Taurus 2! but thats up to him......he hasnt felt too rocky lately........i dno maybe he'll surprise us! smile...but whatever happens....itll be kool

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 18 2002, 02:34

Just listening to them now...

Misty uses the music on the moon once you get the second ring, and I really like it. Some nice guitar at the end of the sample as well.

No Man's Land is quite relaxing, but with a bit of a techno sound coming through. Very nice.

Return to the Origin is very TSODE. Almost a direct quote (sort of). Very promising.

Landfall has very nice distorted guitars and a somple, effective piano melody. Alright-to-good.

Viper Nice bongo-sounding drums at the begining. Excellent all round!

Turtle Island VERY nice acoustic guitar. I can imagine this as one of the best tracks. YES, YES, YES!!! wink

To be Free The spoken verses sound pretty good, but I don't know about this one. It could probably do with a nice guitar solo.

Firefly Very nice melody. Quite a relaxing one, but very captivating.

Tr3s Lunas More acoustic!! Woo-hoo! Excellent title track. Very nice acoustic and electric guitars here. Definate best-of material smile.

Daydream Nice piano. It is quite dreamy in its own way. Relaxing, but a bit slow prehaps.

Thou art in Heaven I most definately prefer the Berlin 2000 track to the bit in this sample. Still, im glad that at least some of that excellent track made it onto the album. I'm eager to see what the rest of this track is like.

Sirius Relaxing guitar melody, and very nice piano. Is that whale song at the beginning?

No Man's Land (Reprise) More acoustic. He really is on a roll with the acoustic here! And distorted electric! this could be a very nice end to the album if it works.

Overall, I love Turtle Island and Tr3s Lunas. This is shaping up to be a really good album. I can't stand the anticipation!! Hurry up and get released now! wink

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 18 2002, 09:31

The title track (Tres Lunas) sounds the best to me - and I like the guitar work on No Man's Land (Reprise) - except the aweful sax-guitar - urgh!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 18 2002, 11:59

well its stating the obvious, but it sounds like background music. whether this will hang well together as a complete album remains to be seen - like the Killing Fields, it may be one to dip into. But then again, unlike that record, it seems to have a uniform sound and so could be experienced in one sitting, should one wish to relax. the melodies are fairly simple, but the music is deceptively complex - it sounds far more convincing than The Millennium Bell, and in my opinion it sounds quite passionate which Guitars attempted but was only partially successful in achieving. yet again Mike stretches the bounderies of his varied styles and comes up smelling roses - roll on July 1st!

Its interesting to note that this is not far away from the sound of Jean Michel Jarre's last album Metamorphoses - the two seem to have come from very different sounds and currently stand in a fairly similar musical landscape. we can only wonder and wait as to how the new original Tubular Bells shall sound now, given the extremely modern influences that have permeated Mike's work as of late - one things for sure, Mike's still unpredictible - just the way I like him biggrin

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 18 2002, 12:11

oh bum, forgot to say that Sirius is my favourite track so far - it sounds like a reflective, contemplative track, as if this is how the Man In The Rain felt after he journeyed Far Above The Clouds....just a thought...

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 06:24

I am incredabely excited about this album, and hearing the samples has made me even more eager. So far, it's heading for a top five spot. Hurry up and get released! wink

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 22 2002, 07:48

That distorted guitar in No Man's Land Reprise sounds an awful lot like his old SG Junior sound...sounds to me like he's getting back in to a few old ways...
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 09:04

"Return..." and "Turtle Island" are the two tracks that most caught my ear when I listened to the samples. "To Be Free" just needs to go...
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: May 23 2002, 19:35

I can understand that some people have low expactations after hearing the first bits. I think Oldfield often builds up his songs very slowly, so the beginning extracts are not representative. I mean, now my fave track is Tres Lunas and I`m disappointed with Tracks like No Mans Land, because nothing really is happening. But... it`s just because Tres Lunas has 3 different parts just in the first minute excerpt and maybe No Mans Land will be the best track of the album. So the album could be a outstanding work. But it also could be a "nice" album with some boring tracks...

Posted: May 24 2002, 19:39

agreed, ManintheRain...

also, if TB3 were a movie, Sirius would be the best selection for the credits music smile

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: May 27 2002, 18:10

tres lunas, viper, turtle island and landfall...so so great. others are good too...thou art in heaven sounds weird.

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 

Posted: May 29 2002, 00:59

i liked thou art in heaven.....especially the strings.......wonderful..

and after hearing the 'whole' thing on MVR i think i like it better than the berlin 2000 version...except that theres not as much guitar stuff going on in the MVR version. i like how the flangy drumbeat mixes with the slamming drumbeat and then at a certain point changes the slamming drums to the faster beat but the flangy drumbeat stays the same......lol i like that stuff. course it probly helps that im also a drummer.

a lot of kool ideas have gone into this awesome tune. one of his best....worthy of a 'best of' cd IMHO..

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 29 2002, 06:19

Scrap the vocals in Thou Art In Heaven and it would be better IMHO!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 29 2002, 18:45

Hello people i had listened Sirius full version at audiogalaxy and it is wonderful!! i think its gonna be one of the best songsa in this project,i like al the songsa, well i didn´t like so much return... and viper, but its gonna be a great work from MO!!!
3rd of June i will tell more bye bye
kapsel Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 15:38

After listening 5-6 times the whole album (yes the full songs, not just the excerpts) I like most the titletrack Tr3s Lunas, it is the most acoustic track of the album, it has even real bass guitar in it (and the bassline is great).

As regarding the album, it is not as good as TSODE, but it is close to that. The main difference is that there are no climaxes in Tr3s Lunas tracks (like for example in TSODE's Ascension), the whole album is very calm and peaceful, fits into "Chill Out" genre very well.
Profile PM 
xnuevo Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 19:49

Tres Lunas fue creado basandose en un juego, TSODE fue creado basandose en un libro de Ciencia Ficción.. es probable que suenen parecido, pero creo que es difícil que Mike pueda llegar a tener un climax tan alto como lo logró en TB2 y TSODE...
Profile PM 
xnuevo Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 19:50

Tres Lunas fue creado basandose en un juego, TSODE fue creado basandose en un libro de Ciencia Ficción.. es probable que suenen parecido, pero creo que es difícil que Mike pueda llegar a tener un climax tan alto como lo logró en TB2 y TSODE... mejor hubieran hecho un TSODE-2
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: June 01 2002, 01:40

misty rules

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
80 replies since May 17 2002, 15:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net