Bridge to Paradise 11  [12.79%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Fav EM Track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wowser Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 24 2004, 23:43

I know this album is trashy and 80s, but it is quite good at what is sets out to do (half the time) . Never knew that was Belew's voice on Holy - Nice guitar break, too! Actually, the only other good track is Innocent, but as mp3s (sorry again) they are rather nice to have. Not something i'll be buying, though.
QE2 the least worn? That's a cracker! The ABBA cover is great! So is the Shadows cover!

--------------
Pointless act! You don't give a five hundred dollar tip to the housekeeper! That's inappropriate! That's inexcusable!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2004, 12:56

I wouldn't deny that QE2 isn't without a certain amount of merit. Generaly speaking there's quite a bit of musical invention in there (which is more than can be said for Voyager) and a lot of fine playing by all involved. I always liked the title track and Sheba is certainly an original piece. Unfortunately I have two problems with it on a general level. Firstly there's just not enough depth to any of it. It takes the emotional emptyness of Platinum and kind of continues in that theme. Secondly, along with a fair bit of Platinum it just sounds horribly dated in a way that I can't get my head round. The late 70's and early 80's were not a great time for mainstream musical style, certainly here in the UK. It did sound like Mike was struggling to find himself before the better collaborations on Five Miles Out and the creative spark he had with Crises.
Profile PM 
12MilesOut Offline

Posted: April 12 2004, 14:05

See The Light.
He is so clever with the powerful head rocking stuff. Oh dear, was that a rather 80s comment?  ;) Sorry but it sounds grrreat in the car and loud!
It used to be Bridge To Paradise when i first bought the album ( many moons ago). It was(is) definately separate from Nothing But on the record

--------------
Somebody's out to get you
-Poison Arrows-
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2004, 15:20

I bumped across an Earth Moving LP in a second hand store - right behind Crises, of course, which you can find in every second hand store. I looked at the track listing, and there definitely was "Nothing But slash Bridge To Paradise". I forgot to look at the LP itself, but I think there's no separation between the tracks, either.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 13 2004, 14:13

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 12 2004, 21:20)
I forgot to look at the LP itself, but I think there's no separation between the tracks, either.

I have the LP. You can clearly see a tiny blank [i.e. silent ;)] groove between the two songs. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 14 2004, 07:19

I see. That's because there is an one-second-and-a-half silence between the songs. But judging by the album sleeve, the songs were intended to be treated as one.

If that's such a nifty trick, why didn't he splice all songs together and released Earth Moving as a mega 40-minute composition, then? :D

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Steve Nicholas Offline

Posted: July 23 2004, 19:07

...this album definitly has my favorite lyrics of anything of Mike's. People dont credit him enough for his lyrics it seems!-Steve
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 23 2004, 19:42

I had to vote for "Bridge". The actual track, which is my favorite, is "Nothing But/Bridge to Paradise", wasn't listed.

"Bridge to Paradize" makes me think of the part in the book "Winter's Tale" by Mark Helprin, in which someone builds a magic bridge off the end of Manhattan.

Here is a link about the book:
Winter's Tale reviews/comments

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2005, 06:13

Definitely Far Country. My favourite Mike Oldfield song of all.
Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2005, 23:24

Bridge to Paradise - simply for that wonderful vocal finale and climax to the album.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: July 09 2005, 14:09

I voted for Blue Night.  However, I like Earth Moving too, particularly the version on Elements.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
amarokian Offline

Posted: July 10 2005, 01:15

NOTHING...

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: July 13 2005, 22:44

i voted "see the light"
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: July 14 2005, 18:29

Quote (amarokian @ July 10 2005, 07:15)
NOTHING...

...But? :) I've chosen Blue Night anyway.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 26 2005, 09:59

Quote (Steve Nicholas @ July 23 2004, 19:07)
...this album definitly has my favorite lyrics of anything of Mike's. People dont credit him enough for his lyrics it seems!-Steve

Hi Steve,

Have made it my purpose to find new and infrequent posters and make them feel welcome.

3 posts in a year, c'mon Steve, you're on a roll, hope to hear from you again very soon, don't wait 3 more months.

Cheers,

Tracy.

P.S. - I like Mikes song lyrics and I like the music in his songs, I just don't like the songs, maybe it's his choice of singers, or maybe it's because somewhere in the mix they become rather forced, not free spirited like his instrumental work, I wish I could explain it better.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
natertb Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 14:55

I had my mom listen to some MO and she said that the only song she likes is Far Country. Interesting...

--------------
Waiting hour by hour...
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2005, 21:00

My friends like this album far more than any of his other work and that may be because it sounds far less like Mike's work than most of his other stuff! But I've always liked it. Its a very neat piece of song-writing. Not exceptional, but highly listenable. And that's not bad at all, really!  You can't innovate all the time!
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2005, 16:47

To be honest i still can,t see how anyone likes this album.for me it,s Mike,s worst by along way.I have tried to listen to it but it is just an album that i can not take to.I know alot of people like Earth Moving ,but it just leaves me unmoved and when i first heard it annoyed. :/
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2005, 17:44

Quote (TOBY @ Mar. 21 2004, 19:36)
I think you just have to accept that the 80's was the decade that got by-passed by any sofistication and just apreciate it for what it was.

The Smiths.
Meat is Murder.
The Queen is Dead.
Strangeways, Here We Come.
Power, Corruption and Lies.
Technique.
Please.
Disco.
Actually.
Introspective.
Like a Prayer.

11 reasons why you're wrong.

I voted the title track, by the way.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
lettherebeme Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2005, 17:59

Earth Moving has some great male power stuff particularly the title track, but for me Mike has always excelled with these cheesy chirpy pop songs with female singers. That's why I was blown away the first time I heard Innocent; I bought 1 of those mini cd singles when it came out and played it to death.
So no contest for me I'm afraid.

--------------
lettherebe more Mike Oldfield in our lives
Profile PM 
48 replies since Dec. 14 2002, 13:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net