Bridge to Paradise 11  [12.79%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Fav EM Track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 14 2002, 13:30

Your fav Earth Moving track...I consider Nothing But and Bridge to Paradise 2 separated tracks...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2002, 19:02

NB and BTP ARE two separate tracks. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2002, 04:12

Does anyone know why Nothing But and Bridge to Paradise are combined on the album? There dosen't seem to be any reason for it that I can see.

Anyway, my fav track from EM is Far Country. The vocalist (I've forgotten his name) does a really good job, and the guitar solo just blows me away. This solo is a duet, I think, between Mike and Adrian Belew, and it comes out really nice. Mike should work with other guitarists more often, because he is the equal of Clapton, Jeff Beck and the others.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 31 2003, 19:25

Quote (raven4x4x @ Dec. 21 2002, 10:12)
Anyway, my fav track from EM is Far Country. The vocalist (I've forgotten his name) does a really good job, and the guitar solo just blows me away. This solo is a duet, I think, between Mike and Adrian Belew, and it comes out really nice. Mike should work with other guitarists more often, because he is the equal of Clapton, Jeff Beck and the others.

Still comparing, eh? Seems to be the favourite sport of all you people out there since TB 2003 came out. :D  [I'm joking, of course - and this parenthesis is not at all an edit. :D]

On topic: FC's singer is the unknown (at least to me) Mark Williamson.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 01 2003, 06:47

I think Nothing But and Bridge to Paradise are in the same track because Mike didn't include a long instrumental track, so he made an alternative. Just my thoughts. It just could be that the cd-burn machines were not programmed properly or something...

Anyway, my fav is Bridge to Paradise... always play the 7" single of that. I love those big vocals in it.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2003, 15:22

My favourite is NOTHING BUT - it is a typical eighites ballad, but so lovely...these huge vocals by this lady and Oldfield on backing vocals....and delicate guitar....
i like also HOSTAGE and especially solo from FAR COUNTRY - the rest of the song is quite sleep....

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 09:08

Quote (Ugo @ May 31 2003, 19:25)
On topic: FC's singer is the unknown (at least to me) Mark Williamson.

It's been so long since I have read the sleeve notes for EM, I forgot who the singer for FC was.  If it is the same singer I'm thinking about, I think the British fans might know who it is.  The Mark Williamson that I am thinking of used to be in a Christian pop band called Lyrix, later renamed to the Mark Williamson band.  He then had at least one solo album in the 90s.  A Lyrix song was also covered by Sheila Walsh, another U.K. Christian pop artist.  Please tell me if I'm totally wrong or confused.   :)
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 10:21

he was singing in MANFRED'S band...was he?

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 10:49

Quote (Mike Chadwick @ Aug. 13 2003, 13:21)
he was singing in MANFRED'S band...was he?

About Chris Thompson,yeah,as well as also Alan Parsons(from The Alan Parsons Project).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 03:49

ahhh yes.these 2 guys are a bit simmilar - i never know if the Guy from MANFREDS sings in Far country or in Runaway son.
But Chris sings in runaway son, does he?

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 14 2003, 19:00

Quote (Mike Chadwick @ Aug. 15 2003, 04:49)
ahhh yes.these 2 guys are a bit simmilar - i never know if the Guy from MANFREDS sings in Far country or in Runaway son.
But Chris sings in runaway son, does he?

Chris sang on Runaway Son and See the Light!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2003, 04:02

I voted 'Bridge to Paradise' as my favorite on this album, and I think it is a shame that it was put after nothing but, which I like less, and is the main reason why I don't listen to Bridge to Paradise as much. Blue Dolphin your explanation may be right, but I don't think putting 2 singles together into one track is a good idea at all. Does anyone know of a good place to find 'Bridge to Paradise' without the 'Nothing But' track added to it?

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
c_haese Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2003, 09:37

Quote (DanishDonJuan @ Nov. 07 2003, 04:02)
Does anyone know of a good place to find 'Bridge to Paradise' without the 'Nothing But' track added to it?

Maybe I'm not understanding the question correctly, but I'm inclined to answer, "on the CD." Either do a partial rip of the track (this may or may not be possible depending on the ripping software you use), or rip the full track and split it.

Hope this helps,

Carsten Haese.
Profile PM 
PICTURES IN THE DARK Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2004, 19:38

BLUE NIGHT RULES!!!:D
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2004, 05:29

Thanks for the helps C_Haese.
I guess I need some different software, as I know of no way of splitting the track with the software I have. I was just hoping that there was an easier way than purchasing new software or spending hours finding & downloading the software.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
wowser Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2004, 21:15

Blimey - I didn't think i'd like anything off thins, but i downloaded 'Holy' (sorry Mike...) and it's really good! is it all as good as that?

--------------
Pointless act! You don't give a five hundred dollar tip to the housekeeper! That's inappropriate! That's inexcusable!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 20 2004, 16:12

Well, Holy is the best song in the album... at least IMO. There's Adrian Belew singing! There are other nice tunes in it, like Far Country (with Ade playing a guitar solo) and Blue Night (with Maggie Reilly!;), but stuff like Hostage, Innocent and the title track are all synth-pop cheesy 80's Top Gun soundtrack crap. Innocent sounds like Madonna crossed with Cyndi Lauper!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2004, 19:36

If you keep a large degree of irony about you, you can almost go back and enjoy Earth Moving. Its just so hard to go back and listen to any of Mike's late 80's songwriting and not think it's' synth-pop cheesy 80's Topgun soundtrack crap'. I mean the stuff off Islands is just as bad. I think you just have to accept that the 80's was the decade that got by-passed by any sofistication and just apreciate it for what it was.

So what if Earth Moving is cheesy as hell, at least Mike wasn't alone creating cheese, everyone was at it. At least Earth Moving is a technicaly pretty well put together album, there's a lot of good playing on it to make up for the god awful lyrics. You do at least get a sence that there is a fair amount of dynamic musicianship going on under it all. Personaly I always thought the title track was  probably the most powerfull in that respect, utterly of over the top in the best 80's way (of course) but I always liked that main lick carried by the guitar.

Sometimes it pays to rejoice in 80's cheese rather than hold your nose to it.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 22 2004, 17:17

You know, I don't hate Earth Moving nowhere near as I seem to do. I just think Hostage really sucks. :p I also think that it sounds really dated, even for 1989. Really. And that's something grim for someone like Mike, who was always ahead of his time.

Earth Moving is just a cash-in, 'tis all. There's some quite awful stuff in it, and some stuff is actually good. I love Holy (God bless Adrian Belew).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2004, 13:04

It's strange for me becasue I got seriously obsessed with Mike just after Islands came out. So for me Earth Moving was the first album from Mike that I literaly ran into the shop to buy when it came out. Virgin did infact give it quite a big push, there were loads of big adverts in the music press 'Virgin proudly anounce the new album from Mike Oldfied' read the blurb.

My initial reaction was that most of it was awful, but then I quickly grew to quite like it. I remember thinking that the title track was so utterly like a T'Pau song I was suprised they didn't sue him (and it still stands, if you listen to T'Pau they sound very like a lot of Earth Moving in terms of sounds and arrangement) And today? Well I can't say I listen to it every day put it that way. Earth Moving, Voayager and QE2 are probably my least worn  Mike CD's.
Profile PM 
48 replies since Dec. 14 2002, 13:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net