which one is you fav disc
mine is Shade mostly "Tears of an angel"

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 03:26

Shade for now... Quicksilver! Of course there's Sunset on Light... but for now it's shade. Or wait. Both. :p
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 04:19

I haven't even heard them yet and I vote Shade. I prefer the darker moodier stuff, I love the dance stuff and any heavier stuff.
Plus Light has elements of Tres Lunas II which I have heard so it will sound familiar to me and Shade will sound new and refreshing.

Not saying I won't Love the Light cd, I just prefer Shade, suits my personality! But I do really love the piano.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
alex Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 13:52

To me Shade is almost perfect. I even started to like Romance when I heard it in high quality. In fact I think that it is very consistent with Mike's style, I like it, just as all other tracks from Shade. But my absolutely favourite one is Resolution - I listened to it for an hour or so, time and time again, in an early evening... very impressing!
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 14:52

'shade' for me too.
the only track i don't like at all is 'romance'.. it sounds old-fashioned to my ears and that rythm is too obvious (hope i used the right word for what i mean) i've tried it today but no way, not even for training in the gym :D

however the rest is great. and i realize i can't decide a favourite out of the set because they're so different that i can't compare.
among the "hardest" ones, 'slipstream' does the job with me. i must admit it was a pleasant surprise. for what i had read before listening to it, i thought i wouldn't like it, but it's got power!! i do feel like dancing whenever and wherever i listen to it.

'surfing' has become one of my favourites songs from mike oldfield. i love the guitar and also the use he's made of the voices. it's a weird song, its tone is gloomy and uplifiting at the same time, don't know how to explain better..

'tears of an angel' is a jewel.. fresh, sweet, blue with brilliant sounds.  

'ringscape' has always been one of the favourite bits in tr3s lunas, so i'm so happy it's now reworked in the album. as i said yesterday, the sound of the organs adds air to a beautiful virtual flight.

imho, in 'shade', among other things, mike shows he has found the key to create tasteful dance music.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 16:57

Shade,of course.
The new Mike is there.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ostach Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 17:12

Shade. Why? Surfing and Tears of an Angel.

--------------
I stay
I pray
See you in heaven one day...
Profile PM 
x-donna Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 05:15

Deffinalely Shade and I love Lakme.
D

--------------
www.dxfc.co.uk
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 23:29

Both actually!!
:cool:  dunno why... But they have theyre own style.
"Light" is tres lunas III and "Shade" is Quicksilver...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 12:44

I think probably 'light' at the moment but I bet £100 I will hop from preferring 'Shade' to 'Light' and vice versa throughout the next year!  :D

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 12:09

Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 28 2005, 23:29)
Both actually!!
:cool:  dunno why... But they have theyre own style.
"Light" is tres lunas III and "Shade" is Quicksilver...

That'd be Tres Lunas II, seeing as the downloadable thing with that name is unofficial.  ;)
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 14:33

Shade, definitely.

Quicksilver, Surfing, Tears of an Angel and Nightshade are all great.  The others may grow on me in time.

I don't totally dislike Light, but I don't like it much either.  I need to listen to it some more.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 23:34

From what I've heard so far, Light sounds the most promising, but they both have some very nice tracks. Having said that I've only actually listened to it twice so far, so I'm not qualified to give a proper opinion just yet.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 14:16

Light.

But it's not that important. I play them with shuffle on, on a 5 CD-player most of the time, anyway.

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 20:45

Yes I always play my cds on random in a 5cd player as well, it's like listening to a new album every time.  Mike has done 23 albums and with L&S being a 2cd set and Tres Lunas II, I have 25cds so I tried to group them into 5 complimentary groups. Was very difficult. The 3 easy groups, L&S, Tres Lunas I & II and Guitars, all sound great on shuffle. TB, HR, Omm, Incan & Plat. QE2, Crises, Disc, 5MO and Islands. Then I struggled, tried TBII, TBIII, Mill Bell, TB2003 and TSODE.  But the last group does not gell for me, TKF, EM, Amarok, HO and Voyager, simply because it groups one of my Top 5 favourites with my 4 least favourites, but I'm working on it, any suggestions?

Anyway, what was the question? Oh yeh, when you listen to all 5 discs first mentioned on shuffle, there is no real noticeable difference in the quality of L&S and the other 3 albums. It breaks it up a bit, try it, it's good! But I do LOVE Shade the best.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 20:59

Shade is addictive.Quicksilver.Resolution.Surfing.Tears of an Angel.Lakme.Ringscape...and of course...NIGHTSHADE!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Falc04 Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 06:38

Well, the CD finally arrived here in the states yesterday, and I've already listened to SHADE 4 times!  It's a highly contagious piece of music.  I listened to LIGHT once.  Hopefully, it'll grow on me, but for now...SHADE rocks!
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 11:18

Light is ok - has it´s moments. Blackbird is a very fine composition I think. Shade is URGHHH!! totally boring I think - except for TOOA. The rest of Shade I would vote 1-2 on a scale from 1-6, 6 being masterpiece. My Shade is for sale!!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 15:12

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Oct. 10 2005, 20:59)
Shade is addictive.Quicksilver.Resolution.Surfing.Tears of an Angel.Lakme.Ringscape...and of course...NIGHTSHADE!

I wish I could enjoy it more.

Right now, I'm stuck on "Surfing" and "Tears of an Angel": I think one goes right into the other.

Not that there is anything wrong with "Nightshade". It is just that it sounds 100% Yello, and 0% Oldfield. I'm waiting for that deep "Father Excess" voice to boom in somewhere and say "Oh yeah" Or "The excess of the everlasting night in Manhattan".

Tati, if you love "Nightshade", you'll love Yello.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 15:17

I love light, I like shade too, but for me I can't stop thinking 'this would be better if........' e.g less boom boom boom on Quicksilver and the rest, TOAA is perect though  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
24 replies since Sep. 27 2005, 02:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net