Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Fav Crises Track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 12 2002, 13:07

...your favorite song on Crises...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2002, 17:05

Once again voting MS seemed trival to me, and I voted FA. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2002, 05:06

I've always loved Taurus III, it's such an amazing piece of guitaring. Simon Philip's drums give it a lot of energy. The title track is good (I love the watcher/tower section) and so is Moonlight Shadow, but Taurus III gets my vote!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2002, 17:08

Quote (raven4x4x @ Nov. 22 2002, 08:06)
The title track is good (I love the watcher/tower section)

I do love this part too!!
:p  :p  :p

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2002, 14:24

Crises is still my favourite MO track...  :cool:
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2002, 18:15

One of my favourite pieces of MO music ever is actually the bit right after 'the watcher and the tower'. The lovely little short passage which is pretty much just a musical scale going up and down. Its a great example of what a genius Mike can be because it's so simple but the way its arranged and played is just so good, its so well done. I love arpegiated synth bit afterwards as well, does anybody know what type of keyboard this was done on? I've often tried to replicate on my own keyboards but can never get any arpegiator to sound as smooth  as whatever Mike used.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2002, 20:13

This might be the Fairlight CI (I think that's what it is called). Mike used the Fairlight a lot in Crises and Discovery, so this piece might probably have been played, sequenced or generated on this (I've heard you can do a lot with a Fairlight).

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 14 2002, 00:15

i voted Crises. ive grown attached to the instrumentals on his song albums. i also have grown quite atached to Crises. at first when i heard it i thought it was cheap and too 80s for me to like. but its got great old fashioned Oldfield in it! i love the great climax to the whole thing. its amazing how well he captures emotions like that at the end of his songs. i also really REALLY love the watcher and the tower part. and soft part right after. i REALLY REALLY love that part too! i love playing my guitar with it. i love playing guitar with all Oldfield songs but thats beside the point! :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2002, 07:52

The Fairlight CMI was basically the worlds first sampling keyboard and was invented in your home country of Oz raven4x4x. It had a keyboard and monitor ( you can see one in the inside cover of Five Miles Out sitting behind Mike)  and was capable, if I remeber rightly, of a whopping 3/4 of a second sample time and It cost about 30 grand.

I've often wondered whether that bit in Crises was done on a Fairlight or whether it was done on an Oberheim synth as credited in the Crises inlay. Oberhiem also made rediculously complicated and expensive synth's.
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 06:56

Oh, I hate being a part of the majority! ^_~ So, as you probably guessed, Crises got my vote. It's an excellent song and has helped me to get through some crises in my own life as well.

That said, I also greatly appriciate Foreign Affair and Taurus III. But Crises is better than those two.
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2003, 04:12

The watcher and the tower... waiting hour by hour...
Profile PM 
Afgyhi Offline

Posted: July 27 2003, 08:41

Crises, crises!! I love it!!!!! I just bought it on LP!!!

--------------
Crises! Crises!!
Profile PM 
davidramirer Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 17:11

crises was the first album i ever bought. and that because it had so an wonderfull cover...
and then the music on the LP: a great looong piece on the first side, whitch took my straight to the universe and back.i was grabbed and tooken. mike oldfield was my star.
then i wanted to have all of his records and in that year i becom from my relatives tb, hergest ridge, platinum usw.
thanks mike, you opened my heart for music. :)
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2003, 05:31

It's impossible for me to choose !
Crises is one and only track to my ears !!

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
stitchfan Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2003, 05:52

Crises is my fave
[QUOTE]
Ohana means family
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2003, 10:38

Moonlight Shadow. No matter how good the title track actually is, or Taurus 3 for that matter, Moonlight Shadow must be the best pop tune Mike ever wrote and one of the best songs of the 80's. My favourite part of the title track is the arpeggiating synth solo that leads into the intense percussions.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Watcher of the skies Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2003, 14:30

"in high places" - i love Jon's voice and whole song has some kind of magic in it...dreamy atmosphere...i love that song!!!

--------------
Hillmen are swore of allegiance
living a live of silent dignity
for your protection
only so you don't worry...
your pretty little head!
Profile PM 
Jamie S Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 14:16

Its has to be Moonlight Shadow. It *slightly* annoys me that its the ONLY MO track you ever hear on the radio and even then thats very rare - if it were up to me radio play would be at least 2/3rds MO music  :D  (Although if that were the case I suppose even I *might* get a little sick of him.)
Moonlight Shadow is very catchy and conveys real emotion (especially with the guitar bit at the end) - although what the song is about I haven't a clue - watching the video (which I also love) mystifies me only further  :) ...
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 18:29

Come to think of it, there is not a single track on Crises I don't like. I'm still not fed up with Moonlight Shadow, I've never been a big pop fan but as Sir Mustapha pointed out this has to be one of the most neatly crafted pop tunes ever. Shadow On The Wall still rocks. Taurus III is amazing. In High Places is the best track ever with Jon Anderson on vocals. That is, I'm not a really big fan of his vocals usually but here they work exceptionally well. Mike must have written this with his voice in mind already. Foreign Affair is so catchy yet so strange & really exotic... as for the title track, no words can describe that!  :D
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 19:24

For some reason, I just can't stand Foreign Affair. :/ It's sad, because I hardly dislike a song that's not proverbially bad. I just don't like that one.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
55 replies since Nov. 12 2002, 13:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net