Shadow on the Wall 2  [1.68%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Fav Crises Track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 19:33

Some say it's too repetitive, and I can see where they're coming from... I myself never thought so, though.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 17 2003, 05:20

Yeah, it's a fact that she sings the final verse six times in a row (a completely useless move, imo), but I guess I don't like the Eurythmics-like athmosphere, and the melody just doesn't suit me.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 17 2003, 05:29

I'm just starting to change my mind on my vote, though. The title track is growing on me with every listen, and it's just as high as Platinum already. The synth work is brilliant, all the parts are very well written and evocative, and the lenghty section with the arpeggiating synth is like auditive intercourse.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2003, 16:43

i think 'crises' is one of the albums where he shows a wide range of abilities (another one, 'discovery' ). in 'crises' mike is mike... as usual in his long works, he is able to lead one up into a dream, in 'taurus lll' he proves to have the energy one needs to play the spanish guitar that way (i must admit it was one of the first things that caught me, as crises was the first album i listened of him), in 'high places' i found, and still do, a weird song cause it's got the shape of a conventional song but it moves a bit what he moves with his long instrumentals. i really love it. and 'moonlight shadow', never among my favourites but a nice and timeless commercial song.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2003, 22:54

Foreign Affair is my favorit one.
The fact that the verse is constantly repeted makes it very hypnotic.
I can loose myself in this one.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2003, 12:55

Yeah.
Profile PM 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2003, 23:42

Taurus III...though it's too short for my taste
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2003, 08:19

Wow, didn't realize there were so many votes already! Very interesting that Shadow On The Wall only got one of them!  :O  :laugh:
Profile PM 
shiverer
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 22 2004, 15:26

moonlight shadow is absolutely one fav of mine, but something came up to me browsing the web. I found the track "Mistake", and couldn't find the album.

But then I finally found it... to my surprise on the crises-album. which is quite strange, because this one is in my collection for already some time.

And this I don't get, how can it be that such a powerful and beautiful track somehow fell of my cd? No, that wouldn't be it... how can it be that this track has disappeared from the album, is totally unfindable on the site of both mike and maggie ????

I'm in desperate need of an answer...
shiverer Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2004, 15:31

just for the record...
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2004, 18:49

most fan sites will list it as a singlr. Presumably the vinyl lp didn't need (could fit) an extra track. and it is very simila in structure. So probably that's why

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 22 2004, 21:44

It was included as a bonus track on some Canadian editions. Mistake was actually released in 1982, so it pre-dates Crises a little bit. Listen to the drums, though - note the similarity to Moonlight Shadow (hear under the "and you're talking on the radio..." bits and compare to the "I stay, I pray" parts of MS), despite the different drummer...seems like Mike was working on some of those hit-single ideas already...
Profile PM 
shiverer Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2004, 14:09

in holland it is completely unavailable on the regular cd's, so I will have to manage myself with the MP3...
Profile PM 
shiverer Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2004, 14:30

it's a great track though, especially the part when maggie sings the piece :

I wake, it´s frightening
Rain hammering on your window
I hate, sheet lightning
You reach for the telephone

and the similar pieces on the track...BRILLiant!
Profile PM 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: June 01 2004, 10:30

hmmmmm....

Ilove crises... but love foreign affair too  :p
The best vocal : foreign affair
the best intrumental : crises
Profile PM 
jhaible Offline

Posted: June 23 2004, 07:47

Quote (TOBY @ Dec. 14 2002, 07:52)
I've often wondered whether that bit in Crises was done on a Fairlight or whether it was done on an Oberheim synth as credited in the Crises inlay.

The short arpeggiated string sound are certainly Oberheim and Quantec.

I've replicated these sounds with my Oberheim OB-8, but MO may probably have used an OB-Xa (predecessor of OB-8). Most important: That trademark reverb tail. I bet it's the Quantec Romm Simulator "Cathedral" factory preset, but mixed at a lower level, such that you don't get the impression of a huge building, just that special "tail" after the Oberheim sound.

I was blown away by this sound (and by the drums!;) on first listen, and it has considerably shaped my taste for electronic music. It took me 15 years to get an Oberheim, and 20 years to get a Quantec, though. (;->)

JH.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 23 2004, 09:10

That's cool you own some old synth equipment jhaible. Don't hesitate to send us some of your stuff in 'fan tracks' :)

I must say I feel the same way as SirM about Foregin Affair. Compared to the other tracks on the album it doesn't quite stand up. However, it's still better than most of the tracks on Earth Moving and not overly commercial either

I voted for Crises. I just love the atmosphere it creates and how, for me, it ties in brilliantly with the cover art
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 16:37

Moonlight Shadow

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: May 25 2005, 14:32

Quote (Holger @ Dec. 12 2003, 08:19)
Wow, didn't realize there were so many votes already! Very interesting that Shadow On The Wall only got one of them!  :O  :laugh:

Shadow on the Wall ( Mayby mike does not like Pink Floyd)
is quite a diferante song comparated to moonlight shadow, I think Roger Chapman's vocals have a lot to do with the vote.
...oh and crisis for me

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 11 2005, 05:54

I've changed my mind since I first posted here: it's the title track for me. My favourite part would have to be the Watcher in the Tower section (that guitar sound blows me away) but I love all of it. It's my favourite of Mike's side long pieces.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
55 replies since Nov. 12 2002, 13:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net