Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Far Country, guitars...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 19 2006, 14:26

As part of the recent "hurt and heal" topic I have been listening to this album again and in a bit more of an analytical way.

I realise I quite like this track. In particular I love the guitar solos near the end.

Looking at the lyrics I am wondering if the choice to have two different guitarists on left and right channels reflects the themes within the song of two people connected but apart.

Too obvious? Who cares? Agree?

Also, if you haven't read the notes on the album, would you guess which channel was Mike.
I think I would, so much emotion!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 19 2006, 16:46

What a very interesting and thoughtful question!

I love Far Country - I think it's one of the finest things he ever did - but it's never occurred to me to listen to it in the way you describe. I'll do it and report back.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 19 2006, 19:01

Far country remains me of Corfu  ;)
Mike said about the song; "Far Country", I wrote in Corfu (Greece) and it's inspired by my daughter Greta's birth.
Corfu is a lovely place and like the lyrics says;
"She takes the rain
Turns it to sun
And my soul she fills it
Where once was a desert
Rivers now run
And my storm she stills it
She takes the rain (and turns it to sun)"
For me Greece is very important. I can escape from my winter land, and every year after winter i go for Hellas!
And far country explain it very well. She takes the rain ;)
But also Mike's guitar!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2006, 04:34

FAR COUNTRY IS MY VERY FAVOURITE SONG OF MIKES AND IT IS ALSO MY VERY FAVOURITE SONG EVA!!!

THANKS FOR DIRECTING SOME WELL DESERVED ATTENTION TOWARDS IT.

I FEATURED IT IN MY LATEST YOU TUBE VIDEO, HERE IT IS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sd_ZtoMNjQ

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2006, 10:02

Quote (Matt @ Nov. 19 2006, 19:26)
Looking at the lyrics I am wondering if the choice to have two different guitarists on left and right channels reflects the themes within the song of two people connected but apart.

Well, I don't know if it's deliberate in the way you suggest, but it's a lovely way to listen to it, and thank you for the idea. There's even a kind of sexual tension in it - the first passage, coming from the right, expressing longing and desire in a kind of urgent, masculine way, and the answer, coming from the left, being quite gentle and reassuringly feminine.

Also, if you haven't read the notes on the album, would you guess which channel was Mike.

My CD doesn't seem to have any notes of substance (why not, I ask??) so I don't have anything to refer to. The character of the two (right and left) is very different in the way I mentioned above, but I could easily have believed that both were Mike - letting the piercing emotion fly on the right, and deliberately restraining the answering emotion on the left. But you say there are two guitarists, and so if that's right then I'd put my money on Mike being the right hand guitar, opening that wonderful break, and Mr X answering on the left.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 20 2006, 11:19

My CD doesn't seem to have any notes of substance (why not, I ask??) so I don't have anything to refer to. The character of the two (right and left) is very different in the way I mentioned above, but I could easily have believed that both were Mike - letting the piercing emotion fly on the right, and deliberately restraining the answering emotion on the left. But you say there are two guitarists, and so if that's right then I'd put my money on Mike being the right hand guitar, opening that wonderful break, and Mr X answering on the left.

I have the LP and it lists who is playing left and right. The discography here on tubular.net lists the details also (I won't copy the answer in this thread in case anybody else wants to guess...).

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2006, 12:14

Quote (Matt @ Nov. 20 2006, 16:19)
The discography here on tubular.net lists the details also

Aha! So it does. Thanks.

Continuing the spirit of this thread .... I make no comment!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 20 2006, 14:24

I did read the liner notes before I heard the song, so I could tell which was which within a few seconds. Both guitarists have very distinguished styles, and "Mr. X" is a stunningly talented and innovative guitar player that everyone here should check out. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2006, 21:07

OK, I am sucked in, I will go and have a look see who Mr X is.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Nov. 21 2006, 08:33

According to Mr. O in June 2006, Mr. X is one of only two guitarists he would play with at the moment, the other being Robert Fripp.

;)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2006, 18:28

Reading this thread has reminded me yet again why I love the music of Mike Oldfield so much. There's always something new, years later, to discover. It's as if it lies there undetected and then once you are aware of it you wonder how on earth you could have missed it. I suppose it's something to do with your point of focus on each listen, which parts actually 'speak' to you. Whatever they are and whatever they make you think of, it's always good to hear different views.

I have to admit that the words ( not necessarily the singing - sorry singer) and the sentiment & gentleness have always been what attached themselves to my psyche whenever I hear Far Country. Ofcourse the music is wonderful, but the words on the whole album are rather good and reflect feelings of happiness and love.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2010, 11:02

Quote (TubularBelle @ Nov. 20 2006, 10:34)

FAR COUNTRY IS MY VERY FAVOURITE SONG OF MIKES AND IT IS ALSO MY VERY FAVOURITE SONG EVA!!!

Who is Eva and why are you talking to her?? What about the rest of us???

Bad, and wicked, and a really poor one, huhuhu...

Delfín>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
11 replies since Nov. 19 2006, 14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net