Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Far above the law courts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 13 2010, 10:53

You need a thick skin for evangelism so to anyone who drops Mike into everyday conversation, I applaud you.  My friends and colleagues will gradually realise what one of the lights that I see is.  Not all of them threaten legal action...

[The case in question: Obsession by Ultra-Sonic.  Please forgive the lack of a hyperlink, may search engines and YouTube save me.]

So,,, my choice of music at work on the nightshift.  Previously, on telling my co-worker the identity of the artist I was about to play, he commented: "Not that orchestral s***e!"  He meant instrumental, but as it happens I had brought in cassette one of Exposed.  Ironically one of his likes was dance music, not all of it vocalised.  This wasn't behind my decison to bring in TBIII - he should have gone home by the time I planned to play Secrets/Far Above the Clouds at full volume.

As we tended to blether away on topics related to the music chose or on the radio (Eminem and his family, Beatles vs. Stones) one fact that had outraged him was Mike's action against Paul Hardcastle over "19".  The Intel bit din't soothe him either!

At this point, our Scotish setting comes into play.  The Scottish dance/rave scene in the early 90's wasn't especially parochial in its outlook, but some of the success was and names such as TTF, Scott Brown and Ultra-Sonic mean a lot more in this neck of the woods.  Anyway, running late at work my colleague hears Far Above The Clouds, cogs turn in his brain, and he says it sounds familiar - Ultra-Sonic maybe.  Our local radio station's dance anthems show clarifies matters and I ask him if he means Obsession.

He had, and when we compared dates - he was correctly adamant that it was well before 98 - he took this opportunity to reveal that he knew somebody who knew somebody involved with Ultra-Sonic and he reckoned they should sue.  My one consolation, as mild panic spread, was that by 2003 five years had passed, apparently without this issue arising, so we agreed to a bit of internet checking before we made idiots of ourselves.

Mine didn't go well at first.  Released in 1992 and 1994, so likely played in Ibiza whilst Mike was seeing in a sonic sunrise or two.  It was remembering, and checking in Tubular Net for one place, that drums from Ommadawn had been sampled in FATC that set me back on track.  I was listening out for them and trying to put that tune on to it but I kept humming Platinum - North Star/Platinum Finale specifically - and the pennies dropped.

And as my colleague conceded, althouugh you can't dismiss that Mike might have been influenced by Obsession playing somewehere, he and Ultra-Sonic are both harking back to a tune which, in turn, borrows a quoted chord structure from Phillip Glass.

One would hope I'm the only one who's nearly got Mike friendly with another set of lawyers, so be careful what you say and what you play...

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 14 2011, 07:12

Welcome to the latest in what, you'll be relieved to learn, is a very short series of anniversary posts.  Believe me, I can barely remember any of the dates I've been on here; but a few early ones have stuck in the mind - largely due to their technological limitations.  In my first steps here, I was not entirely sure what I was doing when it came to linking to external sites ( as opposed to my complete mastery of the art now - take a celebratory photo and add it up here, why don't I :(  ).  Once I did get more of a knack, I decided I wouldn't jump straight back in to these and a few months back decided a one-year commemoration would be nice.  Adding a day due to forgetting that I typically posted on Saturdays, so the happy date fell on a Sunday...  Never mind - back at the library now.

The story above was one I definitely wanted to exorcise myself of, so to speak, and I must admit that I expected to see a comment or two about the similarities, should anyone else have heard them.  466 viewings of the topic when I started this today - knock off 10 or so of me checking last year and a couple of reminders of what I wrote - but as I soon realised, possibly very few actual listens to Obsession.  I may have invited you all to look for it yourselves, but have observed that I obey similar instructions in other topics infrequently.  The ease of following a hyperlink or pressing play on embedded YouTube videos spoils me, and I'm marking this occasion by doing the very-simple legwork (as I soon learned, of course) for anyone who may still find their curiosity sparked by my initial observations.

Ladies, gentlemen - Obsession, by Ultra-Sonic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH8GcpPG-gs&feature=related

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
1 replies since Nov. 13 2010, 10:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net