Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Exposed isn't special?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tales of Zelos Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 15 2010, 14:19

OK I'll bite. This is me biting. It can't be that far away so any reason why every album except this has discussions about special editions? Is there some definite well hidden answer that everyone here is happy with? Nothing to reedit? Too much to choose from? I might not welcome your answer. Exposed, Incantations especially, is my most played seventies album so alternatives to much loved performances aren't guaranteed to go down well. I read that not all of you hate it so if you know, thanks.

Hi by the way, been hanging out for a while, delighted to meet you, nice site you have, answer the question.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2010, 14:28

Hi, Tales of Zelos, I'll bite back. Others more senior are more qualified to give you a proper welcome and likely give you a good answer, but I've actually got aome free time this week an up popped your cri de coeur. If you have any other thoughts and queries this is an excellent place to wallow.
Oops, gotta go and you probably wanted an opinion or two on Exposed and the re-release.  Back soon

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Tales of Zelos Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2010, 14:34

Since you ask... No, go ahead. Enemy forever if you loathe it mind
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 15 2010, 15:24

Umm.. I like it?  Sorry for earlier - not a computer owner but this week's holiday has given me more time on the family's laptop, which I've been using between films in a wi-fi hotspot. I broke off there for a comfortable trip to the train station and now fitting this in before the evening meal.

I love spinning Exposed.  It may have sent to me sleep first time but that just means I must have started sub-conciously absorbing its charms.  I tentatively wait any extras that may come and the aforementioned experts are surely gathering their thoughts.  I know I came across one post that said one one of the adminstrators (Korgscrew, I think) was under pain of death not to reveal the features to come.  I should volunteer to find it again, but after dinner.  Welcome, again!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Tales of Zelos Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2010, 15:46

Hey don't strain yourself. We've all the time in the world. What films have you been seeing anyway?
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 15 2010, 17:27

I heard a rumour some time ago of an Exposed special edition boxset that would have all the recorded concerts (Exposed as we know it was edited together from various nights of the tour).
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 15 2010, 21:04

Well it wasn't a James Bond marathon.  Harry Potter and Narnia as it happens - I was having a catch-up day, with a catch-up present wrapping session just now.

And here we go.  It's just as well that others are on the case as I've yet to relocate the source of secrets.  I hoped it might be as simple as looking in the Incantations forum, but that's a negative so far.  I shall sleep on the knowledge, crossing fingers that the overnight elves will tell you more and make shoes for me :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
Tales of Zelos Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 17:55

Mr Cavalier, your next film should be Barefoot in the Park. Thank you for your reply, Mat. It would be nice if all the concerts were made available to download. If we are putting thoughts into Mercury's heads I'd better go on record that I'm not yet commiting to buying a 50 disc boxset.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2010, 03:51

there would be some pretty bad howlers amongst these concerts - I remember the broadcast with Tommy Vance in 1979 from one of the wembley gigs, there were quite alot of errors then and that was towards the end of the run.   I recall Maddy Prior being put off by some feedback and drifing off key, Mike giong completely wobbly on a couple of solos and a few other bum notes.   Also for the first few gigs wasn't there a huge issue with the mixing desk?  I seem to recall MIke saying the whole lot of them was drowned out by a glockenspiel or someting, sounds hilarious.

Personally I can't see the point of anything other than having the full versions of Incantations and maybe one of the encores of Guilty??  IMHO all you need is the DVD anyway.
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 10:12

Found it.  Well, found it on Monday but the library computers were off until today.  And had intended to update before I travelled back but snowy conditions intervened.  My photos from Hampstead Heath don't do our suffering justice!

I do have a rough idea of what Universal's plans are for the near-ish future, though I'll be held up against a wall and mercilessly beaten with a bent bell (or at least it'll be bent by the time they're finished) for saying anything about them...but suffice to say that the Orchestral Tubular Bells doesn't feature.

That's Korgscrew in the Deluxe Edition? thread of OTB - well worth a complete read, although he clearly holds his life dear.  I may have been rash in assuring that others would bash Tales of Zelos' door down in their rush to inform...

Captainjjb is likely right.  If Mike has a choice, I can't see him signing off too many imperfect concerts.  Before I heard about the secret recordings I had assumed that the multiple locations as featured on the album were down to deliberately placing microphones in different places to capture different dynamics and ranges.  I fancy we got the best of some variable results.

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
Tales of Zelos Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 15:35

And I can think of at least one covered up mistake in Tubular Bells II. I'm a trifle more enlightened than  I was so thanks for speculating and finding info. At least he doesn't say "Orchestral  eventually but live? Take a hike!!"

Anyway taking a leaf out of a previous post, my station approaches so away with this phone which may have a new version of Exposed on it one day.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 09:59

Quote (captainjjb @ Dec. 17 2010, 08:51)
there would be some pretty bad howlers amongst these concerts - I remember the broadcast with Tommy Vance in 1979 from one of the wembley gigs, there were quite alot of errors then and that was towards the end of the run.   I recall Maddy Prior being put off by some feedback and drifing off key, Mike giong completely wobbly on a couple of solos and a few other bum notes.   Also for the first few gigs wasn't there a huge issue with the mixing desk?  I seem to recall MIke saying the whole lot of them was drowned out by a glockenspiel or someting, sounds hilarious.

Personally I can't see the point of anything other than having the full versions of Incantations and maybe one of the encores of Guilty??  IMHO all you need is the DVD anyway.

I did both the Wembley venues and yes there were loads of problems....particularly at Wembley Arena....there was a big problem with a bank of speakers and Mike went a bit bonkers with the guitar solo on pt 4 Incantations at the Conference Centre
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 20 2011, 05:36

Ooh! Ooh!  Found another one...

I believe it would be Incantations and Exposed(after HR and Ommamdawm of course).According to Korgscrew there's a possibility of some 'new' stuff for the Exposed re-issue.Now that would really be something!
However i doubt they'll bother with Boxed but a rarities collection would be very cool indeed.I shouldn't think Froggy or the original mix for MO's Single would get on there but there's a ton of other early stuff that would be good to have.How about the concert at QEH?It was apparently properly recorded so it would be great to see it officially released.
As i've said before the re-issue programme is surely aimed at the fans so it would be a massive bonus to get all this stuff out there for us all to buy.After all there are plenty of other artists/bands that release stuff purely for the fans (hell Status Quo have made a career out of it!!!.

This one is from The Caveman in Speculation on reissues? in Boxed.  In April, rather than June so my research for the first mention continues.  I'll probably find it after the release but watch this space!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2011, 08:34

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Jan. 20 2011, 05:36)
Ooh! Status Quo have made a career out of it!!!.
!

yes but imagine us saying "oh God not again, Mike Oldfield has announced his normal pre Xmas tour taking in 40 UK dates, ahem"
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 21 2011, 06:46

My previous post now with new improved quote box!  I suppose I didn't have to keep all the text in originally but I was in my usual hurry.

Your Quo point well made, Cap'n.  Nothing against them personally; all I own of them is on the Live Aid DVD, but whenever that gets played Rockin' All Over The World and Caroline never get skipped!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2011, 07:09

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Jan. 21 2011, 06:46)
My previous post now with new improved quote box!  I suppose I didn't have to keep all the text in originally but I was in my usual hurry.

Your Quo point well made, Cap'n.  Nothing against them personally; all I own of them is on the Live Aid DVD, but whenever that gets played Rockin' All Over The World and Caroline never get skipped!

Cavalier, I can restrain myself no longer. What does "lost version" mean? And is there ever going to be a newer version?  :D
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 22 2011, 05:49

You're a man on a mission at the moment, Nightspore!  I've seen you getting quizzical with K.O.W.T - hello to you, sir!  Tales of Zelos seems to have cleaned up there, but don't worry about him.  I know his secret... well his name at least.

Mine?  Oh, you've not done enough homework yet.

It is, of course, very kind that members here have dignified my thoughts with answers, questions and cries of disbelieving confusion but I can't expect every word I utter to be remebered.  One of my early posts says that I have no on-line presence to speak of and Tubular Net was the first forum I've joined.  My earliest online identity, however, was 10 years ago, in a now defunct chatroom, and Cavalier formed a part of that.  It seemed the time and the place to respect he who went before.  Here, I racked my brains and came up with an Oldfieldian slant that is fairly apt.

But who was that masked man?  No mask, but hum the Pink Panther Show theme and "Think of all the Cavaliers you've ever heard about..."

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
Tales of Zelos Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2011, 06:05

Hey, leave me out of it!

I wouldn't call it cryptography to get my chosen points of reference but you've mentioned nothing about my name before. Prove it!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2011, 06:15

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Jan. 22 2011, 05:49)
You're a man on a mission at the moment, Nightspore!  I've seen you getting quizzical with K.O.W.T - hello to you, sir!  Tales of Zelos seems to have cleaned up there, but don't worry about him.  I know his secret... well his name at least.

Mine?  Oh, you've not done enough homework yet.

It is, of course, very kind that members here have dignified my thoughts with answers, questions and cries of disbelieving confusion but I can't expect every word I utter to be remebered.  One of my early posts says that I have no on-line presence to speak of and Tubular Net was the first forum I've joined.  My earliest online identity, however, was 10 years ago, in a now defunct chatroom, and Cavalier formed a part of that.  It seemed the time and the place to respect he who went before.  Here, I racked my brains and came up with an Oldfieldian slant that is fairly apt.

But who was that masked man?  No mask, but hum the Pink Panther Show theme and "Think of all the Cavaliers you've ever heard about..."

Thanks for not dealing with my question cavalierly.  :laugh:  Zelos? Now that's another tale!
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 22 2011, 06:34

Quote (Tales of Zelos @ Jan. 22 2011, 06:05)
Hey, leave me out of it!

I wouldn't call it cryptography to get my chosen points of reference but you've mentioned nothing about my name before. Prove it!

Check out [/I]What are you playing this very second?[I]  Didn't want to go too far off topic.  And looks like Nightspore was on to you too!

Thanks for not dealing with my question cavalierly.    Zelos? Now that's another tale!

One more clue then, Nightspore.  There's an episode of Family Guy that features a reference to Brigadoon.  Follow the trail from there...

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
23 replies since Dec. 15 2010, 14:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net